catalytic converters from ebay

some_raisins

TDI
Golf TDS 2002, Indigo Blue
Hi - I have an '02 Golf TDI and need to replace the cat. I see a couple for sale on ebay that say they are a match for my car, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience or advice on this? My only engine/exhaust mod is that I got my car chipped. I live in Wisconsin too, so I have a lot of snow/salt to deal with in the winter time, if that factors in at all.

Thanks!

some_raisins

TDI
Golf TDS 2002, Indigo Blue
my trusted local mechanic (Jason - I believe he's on these forums too) looked at the underside of my car last time he had it up on the lift and said the cat needed to be replaced.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
my trusted local mechanic (Jason - I believe he's on these forums too) looked at the underside of my car last time he had it up on the lift and said the cat needed to be replaced.
Ebay might not be the best place.... :rolleyes:

I suggest you ask your trusted mechanic Jason to help you source needed parts. THAT is part of the reason they are trusted. :)

Bill

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The stuff you find on E-bay can be Chinese garbage. Given that, it really boils down to how much you want your car to be OEM. Personally, I would pass on E-bay garbage Chinese parts.

Last edited:

LOUD SLOW N'LOW

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 1998 TDI, AFN B3 Syncro Wagon
diesel converters are designed to work with lower temps of the exhaust gases to my knowledge. I would - if I was you - purchase a cat from Eastern Catalytic (can be bought from idparts.com) as some cats that are garbage will be wrecked within months.

Your best bet is to get one with a metallic substrate - or ceramic if it is a well trusted brand (metallic>ceramic in terms of durability) .

Spock-Mckoy

TDI
2002 Golf GL
I will need an entire exhaust for my inspection. I fixed a leak between the cat and the exhaust manifold pipe, but after 2 yrs, it is trashed, plus the rest of my exhaust is original in my 02' and failing in multiple places. Time to change out front to back.... :(

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I will need an entire exhaust for my inspection. I fixed a leak between the cat and the exhaust manifold pipe, but after 2 yrs, it is trashed, plus the rest of my exhaust is original in my 02' and failing in multiple places. Time to change out front to back.... :(
just put 1 really long pipe

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
man, just straight pipe it, no cat. sounds sweet

Spock-Mckoy

TDI
2002 Golf GL
I took it to a shop that welded a new pipe in the middle of my exhaust, from the back of the cat. He told me it is beginning to clog and to buy a 2" 'universal' diesel cat and he can remove the old, weld in the new for $69. He fixed what I have for $50. It is getting inspected tomorrow. He did comment on making sure it was a diesel cat cause the gas cats clogged within days. He recommended the universal cat since there are no flanges on them, a flanged cat could cost hundreds more.