Shift Problem

The_One14

TDI
2002 Jetta
Did research this issue already and no one has mentioned what I have going one. Went to shift into 5th gear today and my shifter felt completely disconnected from the trans. The shift knob goes front to back no problems but has no left to right movement. Also when going front to back it is not putting the transmission in 3rd or 4th. The car is stuck in 4th or 5th (I dont think it ever shifted into 5th). Clutch feels fine and operates as it should. Had it towed to a mechanic. Just wondering if someone has had this issue and what it could be.

The_One14

TDI
2002 Jetta
Yeah I saw t those already and dont think that is it. Like I said I cant shift into or out of any gear. There is no connection with the shifter to the trans. so Im guessing it is the cables that connect the shifter to the trans?

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Yeah I saw t those already and dont think that is it. Like I said I cant shift into or out of any gear. There is no connection with the shifter to the trans. so Im guessing it is the cables that connect the shifter to the trans?
I think there's bushing there on the shift cables... maybe one of them went.