Golf exhaust

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Getting the Golf exhaust replaced real soon, and am figuring to go 1/4 inch larger ID. No cat, flow thru muffler. all mandrel bent SS. Car has the VNT 17 and RC3. Any opinions and why, if so. Right now it's 100% stock

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope you don't mind the smell of not having the diesel cat
I have the identical system on my Jetta, and honestly, have no clue as to what you mean about 'smell'. The only thing that I noticed, after I had it installed on the Jetta, a couple of years ago, was an increase in power and mpg's

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Normally the catalyst is not a restriction worth noting, as the potato-sized turbocharger is the limiting factor. Plenty of folks running around with ~150hp ALHs with the stock exhaust intact.

That said, so long as the pipe goes all the way to the back, and you are moving, you are not likely to notice any smells... but they do smell different (worse) without a catalyst.

If I ever wanted a larger exhaust system, for whatever reason, I'd get a larger diameter single-way catalyst, too. I do not like perpetuation of the bad press diesels get for being smoky and stinky if I can avoid it. Smoke especially.

Several of my customers have VNT17s with RC3 and the exhaust is 100% stock, from the downpipe to the tailpipe. They run great, and have for a long, long time.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Normally the catalyst is not a restriction worth noting, as the potato-sized turbocharger is the limiting factor. Plenty of folks running around with ~150hp ALHs with the stock exhaust intact.

That said, so long as the pipe goes all the way to the back, and you are moving, you are not likely to notice any smells... but they do smell different (worse) without a catalyst.

If I ever wanted a larger exhaust system, for whatever reason, I'd get a larger diameter single-way catalyst, too. I do not like perpetuation of the bad press diesels get for being smoky and stinky if I can avoid it. Smoke especially.

Several of my customers have VNT17s with RC3 and the exhaust is 100% stock, from the downpipe to the tailpipe. They run great, and have for a long, long time.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way it runs, with the stock system that is on there now. The ONLY reason I'm changing it, is because it's starting to rust out, and having had a very bad experience with CO poisoning as a teenager, I will not take any chances, and the replacement with the mandrel bent SS system, is a WHOLE lot cheaper than a stock system. The only time it smokes, is when I'm accelerating hard, as when I'm pulling out into traffic. When leaving a light, or such, there is no smoke

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The ONLY reason I'm changing it, is because it's starting to rust out, and having had a very bad experience with CO poisoning as a teenager
All the more reason to keep the cat in place or replace it if rested/plugged. ID Parts sell the Eastern brand ones very affordably.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Going to 2.5" from stock is a pretty standard upgrade.
I bought BuzzKen's 2.5" system with cat and 1 resonator.
The only thing I would change is to have got 2 resonators.
The larger diameter and no muffler makes for a bit more drone.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Should be able to find a shop to patch it back together.

the stock stuff's better than most aftermarket stuff.
Mine had the resonator replaced with a fence post, all the hangers welded back on a few times before I finally ditched it.

Hatch stopped sealing, so exhaust out the back meant exhaust in the cabin. Ended up chopping it right in front of the rear axle after the first bend, then welded on some straight pipe to put it out the side in front of the rear wheel. No more exhaust in the cabin.
Now, a few turbo setups, and an aluminum stock-replacement exhaust later, it dumps out the LF fender.

falk_ben

TDI
2007 GT 170 (+/- 300 hp)
Getting a custom cat back from Mji in Walsall, UK. 3" Fitted for £395Good service with choice of tail pipe options. Picks and sound when done

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
2.5" is all you need if changing it.

The smell, lol, smells like a diesel from the old days, not propane like the DPF of today. :)