Panoramic sunroof issues.. real, imagined? never open?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Ugh.. I have a dilemma. I am worried about potential sunroof issues such as leaking breaking etc..

However, I would never really use it. I would most likely keep it closed.

Color is pretty important. Shallow I know but still...

So with that being said...

two cars
both JSW
one (2014) is bare bones no roof Pure White ( not that crazy about it, too bright!)

The other: 2013 WITH roof and is Candy White. ( much better color)

2013 21K miles
2014 25K miles

both manual transmission so no problem there

Same price as well

So I guess its color I want with roof I dont vs color I dont care for so much with no roof

Your thoughts? I would never use the roof most likely

Thanks!! ;):cool:

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A Pano roof is ridiculous option on any car. Even if you never open it it could develop drain leaks and rattles.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
A Pano roof is ridiculous option on any car. Even if you never open it it could develop drain leaks and rattles.
I had a pano roof on my JSW. I rarely opened it and here in the desert leaks are not a serious issue. I never had a mechanical problem with it but I hated it because it is an oven maker if you live in a sunny climate. Add to this the fact that almost any problem with it requires completely removing the headliner to repair it. Therefore almost all repairs are expensive.

When I was shopping for a replacement for the JSW, one of my requirements was NO panoramic sunroof. It was actually surprising how hard it is to find suitable cars without a pano roof.

Have Fun!

Don

andykurz

TDI
shopping
It's hilarious how heated people get over sunroofs! I like mine, and my son likes looking out of it too. Pros and cons, none will ruin your life. I vote in favor of the sunroof - more pros than cons!

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I’m fairly new here. I have a 2013 JSW with the panoramic sun roof. Are there basic maintenance procedures that can be done to avoid any problems later?

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I had one on my '09 and loved it. I live in the mountains so high temps aren't much of an issue in high summer.

A coupla issues though:
1. Some leak at the drain tubes in the corners, fronts mostly I think. Remedies in other threads here. Where tube meets upper drain, needs to be sealed with silicone or something like that.
2. The cloth shield can lose its glue down strength and eventually separate from the track. Some folks get it re-glued at an upholstery shop. If the screen is not retracted and the roof is opened(?) it can wind flutter it right apart, maybe on older glue or high heat environs with age added... My experience. I cut mine out and had the roof tinted dark with a mega UV layered tint. worked perfectly for me.
3. In high heat, the glass and frame can bind up due to expansion. A few minutes (15) in the shade seems to free it up.

And some folks complain incessantly on the same features; at every opportunity. Heard this tune before...

I did not see any leaks or bind ups in mine though, worked fairly flawlessly for me. Cruising with all the glass open on a cool evening, very nice.

Last edited:

andykurz

TDI
shopping
^ agree completely with the above. I did have the issue with the drain tubes. If you see water in your car, specifically in the trunk, you may have the issue and need to fix it. I fixed mine with some silicone and zip ties in about an hour. People lose their minds over the drainage issue and swear to never own a sunroof but it is a very simple fix. Still annoying, but not very difficult.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Just do some searching though, you'll find out all you need to know on the topic. It's been covered pretty well.

Either on this forum or another, their was a guy that was pissed at the sunroof because a limb fell on the car and it shattered. So, if you routinely have limbs fall on your car, don't get the pano!!

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
It's hilarious how heated people get over sunroofs! I like mine, and my son likes looking out of it too. Pros and cons, none will ruin your life. I vote in favor of the sunroof - more pros than cons!

Yes they can ruin your day when it leaks and floods your interior and fries electronics. Seals and drain tubes deteriorate over over time. Having felt with this before in a previous car, when I bought my jsw manual trans I specifically was looking for one without the piano roof no matter how cool it looked in the dealership. IMO
If you plan on keeping your car for a long time then avoid the piano roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
i drove one and it has this drumming sensation throughout the car as well as it sounds like there is a window open, with a huge amount of road noise. LOVE the idea and look not so hot on the potential and perceived issues

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^Yeah, hmmm. I got none of that.

The only drumming was when the rear windows are down and front up. As on many vehicles, lowering the fronts just a hair seems to equalize and stop the vibrations.

Mercdude - your previous issues with roof leaks, I assume it was a JSW Pano? or some other make?

Gosh, if I worried over things that might happen or may go wrong, well I'm just not like that. I get what I like and deal with whatever happens. That's not to say I don't consider possible issues. I just don't suffer out of fear of them.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Once bitten twice cautious. It was with another maker but it was such a pervasive issue that they lost a class action lawsuit. Leaking sunroofs are no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
If you are not planning to open it, you could silicone it. Maybe also cover it in aluminum tape (duct sealing tape) to keep the sun out, if you live in a hot climate.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
The maintenance schedule calls for regular lubrication. Special grease available at IDParts or dealer. Several threads about this.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
My take on the sunroof is that if you like and value a sunroof you won't have major issues because you won't mind a little drain repair work. You like the feature and you won't mind paying to keep it working great.

If the sunroof is a take it or leave it item that you don't really want or are indifferent about then having to spend time or money on it will drive you crazy and make you angry.

I also think there is something to be said for how long you plan to keep the car. If you're thinking 10+ years AND you are indifferent about the sunroof then I'd take the time up front to find a car without one.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Is this not a clever pun? (given Don's contiguous use of "oven maker"......)

Unintended or not - this sailor sure chuckled.

ez