Nicktane 1 micron fuel filters.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yea, I agree with you. I'm taking his answer with a grain of salt. I'll just keep running the cim tek filter since it looks like many people never have water in the separator anyways.

I would still highly recommend the use of Power Service White year round and you will never have any water to separate and remove. It is very inexpensive. Start with the recommended dose and after a couple tanks cut it in half. Cheers :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Old thread but I want to chime in.

I love the Nicktane filter heads, but strongly recommend the ones which use the 2-micron CAT filters. I like being able to buy filters from any Caterpillar dealer or most truck parts stores and not have to order replacements from Nicktane.

cajun87

TDI
Mk4 Jetta
cim tek

I ended up going with a cim tek filter. Been on for a month or two. Seems to be working fine.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have been told the factory MK4 TDI fuel filters are 22 micron, does anyone know if this is true? The Baldwin filter and filter head I just installed both have the same thread and pitch as the CAT 2 micron filter does, and my filter also has a large water drain on the bottom. This filter is a bit taller than I prefer, but they make another fuel/water separator filter that is 2" shorter and has a smaller drain on the bottom. My current filter is rated at 20 microns.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Years ago I read here that the stock mk4 filters are 10 micron filters, I've assumed that to be true, but I have never researched it to confirm it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Old thread but I want to chime in.

I love the Nicktane filter heads, but strongly recommend the ones which use the 2-micron CAT filters. I like being able to buy filters from any Caterpillar dealer or most truck parts stores and not have to order replacements from Nicktane.
Just ordered one for the bug I re-acquired. Got the cat version. Now all my bugs will have the cat filter.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Nick no longer has the thermo T bypass fitting and he had no ETA as to when available. One can find a substitute at autozone as I did.

ssteward

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I ended up going with a cim tek filter. Been on for a month or two. Seems to be working fine.
Which model of Cim Tek filter did you go with and does it have water separation? Which thread size is it?
I'm curious if the Donaldson p553203 has a similar filtration capacity/change interval to the Cat IR-750. Some people are changing those Cat filters every 100k miles or more.