2016, January 30 GTG at DanG144's Chapin, SC

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I will be having a GTG at my house on Saturday, Jan 30, 2016.
8 am to 7 pm.
Lunch around 1230, leftovers (if any) for supper at 6 pm.
Light wrenching, food, lots of talking and sharing knowledge.

Tuners

Andrew Rodriguez will be there for Malone Tuning and selling his very good products. Contact him if you want a Malone tune or another of the products he sells, so he can prepare or bring it. http://www.aarodriguezcorp.com/
Jeff Robertson has had to back out. The blizzard of last week is still impacting him; he has customer's cars that are already delayed, and could not ask them to wait the 3 days it would take him to make the trip.

Someone remind me in a week and I will swap the order of those tuners in this post. Both are excellent; the order shows no preference on my part. Neither does the order of the mechanics shown below.

Mechanics attending
These guys often provide free technical advice and help folks to do minor tasks; this is all on a volunteer basis. They may show up in their Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes and just shoot the breeze. Or even take the opportunity to work on their own cars...Please do not show up with an all day task and expect to tie them up - unless you plan it in advance with them.

Landon and Daniel G. from Appalachian Diesel Works will be here from Alexander, NC. Excellent VW diesel mechanics. Landon always brings his injector pop tester with him, to make sure the shop smells enough like diesel fuel. DEGrindstaff@gmail.com, 828 273 8951.

Richard55 will be here from Rutledge, GA. He is also an excellent diesel mechanics on the VW. LORCComplex@gmail.com 541 980 1466.

Jimbote, will be here from Sanford, NC. He is an excellent mechanic. 919 545 6476

Pete R., the worlds best VW shop foreman will be here from Gunter, VW in Florida.

It will be about like the others I have held at my house.

As usual it is being held the week before the Superbowl.

This will be similar to the Asheville area GTG that is due to be held on Oct. 10, 2015, without the stunning views. It might be a tad cooler as well.

Generally between 35 and 55 cars show up, from 5 to 8 states.
I have a hobby shop with one lift and another bay, and a house garage with 2 bays. There is room for two more cars on a concrete pad.
The bulk of the parking is on gravel or dirt, in the woods around my house. The road leading to my house is gravel, at least 100 yds of gravel if you come via Columbia Ave, to Woodthrush. Up to a mile of gravel road by other approaches.

Usually there will be folks here that can provide advice and some help with light wrenching projects. There will be several VCDS cables around to check out cars with.

I do ask that no one plan to do a timing belt or cam replacement at the GTG.

Midlands Biofuels will bring a biofuel trailer, and perhaps a waste oil trailer. More to follow on this.

Last edited:

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I'm excited to participate again. I learned so much at your last gtg. Thank you for being such a gracious host.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Would it be unreasonable to consider having a Panzer plate shipped to you and getting help on the lift to install it on my 00 beetle Tdi?

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Well then, I would really like to do that! I've been neglecting this for quite some time.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I've been to two and hoping to attend. If I get my laptop repaired by then, may bring my cable as well.

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
shameless plug; but i am very close to this GTG and still have my BEW girdle/oil pump/main stud setup if anyone is thinking of building a motor in the near future. i would be happy to deliver!

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Everyone,
If you gave any old mk IV or V fans or controllers you will donate for a research project, please bring them.
Dan,

I have a 180,000 mile set just removed. Now just gotta remember to bring them and hopefully figure out long before then why its popped about 3 30A fuses lately. Fuse socket tested with old school ammeter got about 18A load with both fans and AC compressor engaged. Tonight I direct wired to battery a new feed and 30A fuse.

Gary

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Make it 4 fuses. Recently new fans, thermo switch. Didnt have this problem before noticing fans had stopped and was reason for new fans.

I think I going to disconnect one fan at a time, run w/o ac and see if it can be pinned down to a single fan or?

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Make it 4 fuses. Recently new fans, thermo switch. Didnt have this problem before noticing fans had stopped and was reason for new fans.

I think I going to disconnect one fan at a time, run w/o ac and see if it can be pinned down to a single fan or?
My beetle has this problem also. From what I have found out is you either need a new harness to the alternator or a new battery.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi Dan!

It has been a few years ... I've had a couple of kids and a HPFP failure ... but I'm looking forward to coming back!

Best,

David

Last edited:

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Helllo Dan!
I'm glad that looked into the tdiclub southeast region section and found your gtg notice.
Thanks for posting well in advance... I can plan to be there!
Please let me know if I can bring or do anything.
Best Regards,
Uber

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dan, I have your GTG on my schedule.

Hope to see you unless it snows.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Looking forward to the GTG. Thanking you in advance for the hospitality and wealth of knowledge/resources you offer so kindly.
Anything we can do, let us know!

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Dan, I'll be there, I have a single fan installed in a housing (only needed one used fan, complete with wiring, and I have an eBay controller I'll bring.

I'll bring my ross-tech and Snap On Solus Pro with the VW keys.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Dan, I have a lift pump that was installed in 2007/2008. I'd like to get
the "fail-safe" retrofit done. Can't afford to be down when driving 28-32K miles
per year.

Anything I need to bring?

Cheers!

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
hoping Dan and everyone else up there is ok after this huge flooding. Lets us know
Dan if there is anything you need. We will be on the road if you do.
Should be there for the GTG if my ankle has recovered enough after the replacement. Going under the knife on the 26th of this month.

Last edited:

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
My beetle has this problem also. From what I have found out is you either need a new harness to the alternator or a new battery.
Progress but not a publishable resolution yet. It no longer pops fuses.

Houpty, question for you. What fan brand are you running? OE, or if aftermarket what brand?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Dan, I have a lift pump that was installed in 2007/2008. I'd like to get
the "fail-safe" retrofit done. Can't afford to be down when driving 28-32K miles
per year.

Anything I need to bring?

Cheers!
HPC,
I no longer recommend modifying the lift pumps. The hoses and connectors available to us are not reliable enough. Because of this the mods actually reduce reliability, even though the idea is sound, the execution creates problems.

If you want to discuss get-me-home options we can do that.

Dan

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
shameless plug; but i am very close to this GTG and still have my BEW girdle/oil pump/main stud setup if anyone is thinking of building a motor in the near future. i would be happy to deliver!
Very interesting. I would love to see one, and look it over/talk it over. But realistically I am not a potential customer. At least I don't think I am.

Dan