2015 Jetta TDI Oil Filter Location

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I put my 2015 Jetta TDI on my lift yesterday, just to take a look. After removing the undertray (3 larger torx screws, and I think it was 9 smaller ones), I quickly found the location of the oil filter. Not as bad as what it looks like in a video I have seen of the Golf.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/filter1.JPG

In this image, the front of the car is toward the top. There is minor obstruction by one wiring harness, but I don't think it will be a problem. The wiring harness can be moved a bit by unclipping from a support.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/filter2.JPG

(The Insert Image function isn't working for me for some reason, so I'm just inserting links.)

Life is good when you have a two-post lift in the garage, but I think a DIY oil change will be fine on ramps or jack stands. Not as easy as on the '08 Lancer I just sold (super convenient location of the oil filter under the front of the motor). Looks like it will be a lot better than an oil change on my wife's '03 Tacoma (good thing I have long, skinny arms to get to that filter).

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/jettalift.JPG

With not-quite-900 miles on the car, I'm a ways away from my first oil change. If nobody beats me to it, I'll post a how-to when the time comes.

Looks like the filter housing does have the center drain plug. If anyone can figure out whether you just remove that and it drains, or if you have to screw something into it, please post that information. I've seen various tools supposedly for draining oil from these filters (http://www.metalnerd.com/cat17.htm), and I guess minimizing spillage.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Huh? Your post is confusing the hell out of me. The oil filter is located were the oil filter is. I don't see any confusion with this.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
this is a copy of post on the MK VII .

target car is the 2015, with one of the EA299 engines.

with the air to coolant charge air cooler, there is no room for the service-from-the-top oil filter, so it is mounted upside down from what we know and love.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Huh? Your post is confusing the hell out of me. The oil filter is located were the oil filter is. I don't see any confusion with this.
His point is that the oil filter on the new EA 288 engine is going to be a PIA to change unlike all earlier TDI cars which for the most are are fairly easy....
And even harder on the MK 7 Golf and Golf Sportwagen.....

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
We'll see how it goes when I do my first oil change, but I typically like it when oil filters are located under the motor. I used to own a 944 and the oil filter was in a very accessible position up high near the front of the motor. The problem was that as you removed the filter lots of oil would spill--right onto the power steering pump and belt, and various other parts. Similar situation with my wife's 2003 Tacoma--the oil filter is up high on the driver's side of the motor. It's not easily accessible from either above or below. As with my 944, removal of the filter results in a mess. The Mitsu Lancer I just sold and my 911 have oil filters easily accessible from below, with nothing in the way. Put a tub under the filter, remove, no mess.

Looks like the filter on my TDI will be more like the latter than the former. I think it will be pretty painless. In another thread Mike suggested that unscrewing the smaller part of the filter cap (not sure what to call it) will allow oil to drain from the filter housing. As per tomo366's comment, looks like the process will be much easier on the Jetta than on the Golf. Looks like a couple of hoses and/or wiring harnesses obstruct access to the oil filter on the new Golf.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
We'll see how it goes when I do my first oil change, but I typically like it when oil filters are located under the motor....As per tomo366's comment, looks like the process will be much easier on the Jetta than on the Golf. Looks like a couple of hoses and/or wiring harnesses obstruct access to the oil filter on the new Golf.
First - I can't imagine why having a filter underneath the motor is preferred over when it is a top change. Maybe my body isn't like yours, but working upside down is much harder than rightside up.

The process isn't any easier, it is the same process, but the Jetta you have a few more inches of workroom. For those who have been around a while, I'd equate this to A3 vs B4 changes - B4 had more room to work.

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
First - I can't imagine why having a filter underneath the motor is preferred over when it is a top change. Maybe my body isn't like yours, but working upside down is much harder than rightside up.
Well, for two years now I've had a lift in my garage . . .

But, lift or no lift, I have to get under the car to pull the oil pan drain plug. If the filter is right there under the motor (as it is in the Lancer and 911, and apparently the new TDI), then it is really easy to pull the oil filter at the same time. Oil goes into the drain pan and nowhere else :D

NewYorkBuck

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2015 Black
I used to own a 944T, and oh how I remember this. For me, a particular problem was the right front sway bar bushing. Oil would get on it and turn it to mush. I recall needing to pack underneath the housing with rags for each oil change.

. I used to own a 944 and the oil filter was in a very accessible position up high near the front of the motor. The problem was that as you removed the filter lots of oil would spill--right onto the power steering pump and belt, and various other parts.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Well, for two years now I've had a lift in my garage . . .

But, lift or no lift, I have to get under the car to pull the oil pan drain plug. If the filter is right there under the motor (as it is in the Lancer and 911, and apparently the new TDI), then it is really easy to pull the oil filter at the same time. Oil goes into the drain pan and nowhere else :D
Lift or no lift, you are still looking up, holding your hands above your head - working upside down. Rather than taking off a cover from a top side oil filter easily, you instead have an oil filter that is dripping oil down your arm.

If you use an extractor you don't need to put the car up at all. When I do a bottom drain I open up the filter housing, put the car in the air, drain the oil, replace the plug, bring the car down, and then put oil and a fresh filter in.