VNT 17/26. Anyone had experience?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The 17 plus is a 17/52 hybrid that particular vendor has had made up for them. And OBTW, they cost a fortune. I paid $450 not including shipping to have my dead VNT-15 reborn, and I could not be happier; in fact this turbo almost spools too well even at 4600' elevation. Do a search on the BW turbos and you will find they are prone to problems (premature death) when pushed. My particular turbo , due to the shaft shared by the earlier VNT-15's and VNT-17's, is running more than 24 PSI boost is asking for a grenade event.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
now how does that work? i have a seized stok 04 BEW turbo
BEW turbo's are boat anchors, the turbine side is tiny, either build an ALH core or a buy another turbo.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Get a vnt-17 and a tune and you should get there easy. The BEW has enough room left in their injectors to hit 160 WHP on stock injectors. You will need a tune to get rid of the CEL from no longer having the actuator position sensor that the BW does.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Ive had a 17/52 in my alh for about 12000 km now and i love how quickly it spools. Although with my set up im getting lots of black soot and open throttle compressor surge

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Bump to old thread but any more experiences with this turbo? I am thinking of getting one for my current build.
not there yet but i did build a "17/26" using a "kunigawa" ebay wheel and new turbine in an old 17/22...had the chra balanced and now it's all back together waiting for motivation.

stock vb left, "17plus" right.

Last edited:

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
not there yet but i did build a "17/26" using a "kunigawa" ebay wheel and new turbine in an old 17/22...had the chra balanced and now it's all back together waiting for motivation.
That looks like a high PR wheel (maybe a copy of some Schwitzer). That combined to the fact it's already very large for 43 mm turbine leads to very bad rpm matching (spins too slow). I expect poor turbocharger efficiency.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
That looks like a high PR wheel (maybe a copy of some Schwitzer). That combined to the fact it's already very large for 43 mm turbine leads to very bad rpm matching (spins too slow). I expect poor turbocharger efficiency.
so, please educate me on what you're seeing bad with this compressor and is there one you do recommend that will give acceptable performance?

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If I were to do this over again, I wouldn't have such a large compressor wheel installed. I would get a dead VNT-17 and have the compressor upped from the factory 44mm to a 49mm compressor. I believe turbo may spool faster, and be a lot easier to tune. I would still have 24PSI, and likely better spooling due to less mass on the compressor wheel.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am willing to learn here... once upon a time people were putting vnt-17 compressor wheels into vnt-15 cold sides, and calling them stealth 17's. I realize the small amount of machine work that was needed to done could literally be done with a brake hone on the inducer inlet. If this is true how would a 17 compressor wheel fit into a 15 cold side without major machining?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I have a 17/56 that was built into a dead vnt-15 manifold. I went from .205's to .230 nozzles and have not changed my Stage 3 tune from 7 years ago. I live at 4600' and not only was the 17/56 the best choice for my location but the price was right too.
My car is a completely different animal now; lots of power all the way to red line, and much better throttle response from off-idle to WOT.
Now I get to revive and old thread and ask you what you think about this turbo, if you're still running it. I was contemplating putting the VNT17 I have now into my 2000 Golf, and get a new turbo for my 2002, which is my daily. I have the same .230 nozzles, and other mods, though I don't have head studs and I haven't changed rods or anything bottom-end. I'm not looking to go crazy, but something that can keep up with the JSW would be quite nice!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I got lucky even finding a 17/22 4-5yrs or so ago, pretty much unobtanium these days. X-man in the UK does supply hybrids.
Pioneeringperformance though, with their own custom cast manifold, would be my preferred option these days. Probably
something like this;

Do install a catch can, helps to keep the turbo vanes clean.

Then there's these guys, all kinds of options. Be aware that while the ball bearing turbos are quick to spool, the journal
bearings are more durable.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Now I get to revive and old thread and ask you what you think about this turbo, if you're still running it. I was contemplating putting the VNT17 I have now into my 2000 Golf, and get a new turbo for my 2002, which is my daily. I have the same .230 nozzles, and other mods, though I don't have head studs and I haven't changed rods or anything bottom-end. I'm not looking to go crazy, but something that can keep up with the JSW would be quite nice!
I still really like this turbo, some 5 plus years later. I live at 4600' elevation and cross 8000' climbing to Lake Tahoe, without a hitch. At the time my hybrid cost much less than a new VNT-15. There were other members that had the same turbo built for them, and gave nothing but praise after installation. Months later they were happy that when towing or the like, basically instant spool.
Asking 18 pounds of boost out of a VNT-15 at this altitude can be sketchy. After finding the VNT-15, VNT-17, and VNT-20 all use the same shaft, I was comfortable putting a larger compressor wheel ( 56mm ) in my turbo. Not counting the occasional spike, I never run more than 24 pounds of boost as was suggested my the builder. My whole premise was to have the boost I wanted at a much lower shaft speed. I must have guessed correctly as climbing to 8000' deep in the throttle, and the turbo never complained.
A few months back I contacted Turbo Lab America. com, and the price now is $650.00 I also checked with Gpopshop.com, and I believe their price was $650.00 also. Yes, it is old technology, but I do not have a race car that needs full spool by X RPM.
If you look around TDA's website, you will see my old turbo in one of their videos.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I got lucky even finding a 17/22 4-5yrs or so ago, pretty much unobtanium these days. X-man in the UK does supply hybrids.
Pioneeringperformance though, with their own custom cast manifold, would be my preferred option these days. Probably
something like this;

Do install a catch can, helps to keep the turbo vanes clean.

Then there's these guys, all kinds of options. Be aware that while the ball bearing turbos are quick to spool, the journal
bearings are more durable.

Catch can... any suggestions to pointers on that? Ha, I honestly wouldn't mind deleting all the crap that enters back into the intake/intercooler.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

This thread should cover it. I went for a generic Ebay can for a BMW IIRC. Think it was around $25. With hose and
some good hose clamps and a PVC elbow for the hole in the valve cover, < $50. Simple enough installation and it really
helps keeping the IC clean, and the turbo stays cleaner.

I found today though that the rubber grommet that goes in the valve cover has aged, and I need a new one. Musta' torn it
a bit when I resealed the valve cover. The lip that holds it in has deteriorated. I was squirting some penetrating oil
around my glow plugs to, fingers crossed, remove and replace them. Got a set and a new wiring loom to go in.