www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 8th, 2015, 20:21   #121
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Update:

The Wisconsin transmission went to the car wash last night and got cleaned up. Tonight it got serviced, new drive flange seals, guide tube and the new release bearing installed as well as draining out the old fluid. New fluid will go in once it's in the car.

New guide tube / seal and release bearing:

Fluid drained and new drive flange seals installed.

Here she is back in the garage next to the Omaha CTN transmission. My 'cleaning out' that happened over the past couple of years is starting to reverse itself...uh oh!

And here's an obligatory picture of the Mk3 sitting in the drive while I was working on the trans.

All for tonight, tomorrow night the engine gets pulled from the stand and the flywheel and new clutch gets fitted as well as the Wisc transmission.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping the B4 shifter assembly with the Polo (a topic discussed at length in prior pages) since I've found a Mk4 shifter box and 02J shift tower. This will also work nicely when I go to do the 6 speed kit sometime later this year.

I'm finally getting close to putting this thing in the car!!

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 20:26   #122
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

And I forgot...I dragged this one home too...

Came from the same car the damaged trans (and other parts) came from.

Steve

Old July 10th, 2015, 21:00   #123
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

No pics tonight, I'll add one later, too tired and need to get to bed.

The engine is off the stand now, flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate installed.

I had some new flywheel bolts on the shelf that I'd bought for a Mk2 diesel car that didn't end up getting used before the car got sold so I was happy to use those on this project. I also had some pressure plate bolts that were from the same project that I wanted to use but those were not compatible because of the different type clutches (020 vs 02A) so I reused the PP bolts from the old clutch. VW doesn't say you must replace those every time so I think it'll be alright.

I wanted to get the trans mounted but that will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

Old July 12th, 2015, 07:33   #124
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

So the weather here is now rotten. The heat is just oppressive and if it weren't for my old furnace squirrel cage fan I'd be really hating it.

Last night pulled the pressure plate to verify that I'd cleaned everything thoroughly. Reinstalled and torqued to specs, everything looks good. Swapped direction on the engine lift so the tail end of the engine was to the open end of the engine lift. Refitted the transmission to the engine and then added a few little bits like the passenger engine mount bracket, inner passenger cover plate near the passenger drive axle, starter and front engine mount bracket.

I should have engine / trans installed into the car today but before that happens I need to add in the AC lines and txv at the firewall. Doing that later seems like it might be a pita.

I'm really curious as to what the ride height will be after this settles in. Since I used Mk3 front springs and the markings were consistent with B4 tdi cars I'm hoping that it'll settle down reasonably well without going too far. Since I intend to drive this in the winter I can't have a setup with minimal ground clearance.

I have noticed though that on cars where I've swapped out the old Mk2 style mounts for the newer 'plus' mounts that ride height can actually increase a little although that's probably due more to new mounts versus old etc.

Steve

Old July 12th, 2015, 19:20   #125
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Well the day finally came, engine installed in the car. I finished up the AC work, TXV and piping and then proceeded to install the engine. Everything went in and lined up perfectly.

It was absolutely horrible outside and not a lot better inside but at least I was out of the sun and I had this to make the situation more bearable.

There's still a lot of reassembly to do but at least I now feel like I'm on the downhill side of the project, at least as far as the drive line.

Steve

Old July 14th, 2015, 21:07   #126
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Looking good! It will be so worth it when you actually get to drive it. I've finally hit 10,000 miles on my swap. Good feeling.
Old July 15th, 2015, 20:26   #127
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
Looking good! It will be so worth it when you actually get to drive it. I've finally hit 10,000 miles on my swap. Good feeling.
It's slow, but now I'm kind of reinvigorated to get things buttoned up. I worked a little on the PS tonight but got interrupted by a friend who needed the engine hoist and that took about an hour of my very slim time.

Tomorrow at work I'm going to get the 02J shifter box / cables / shift tower (we got in a Mk4 Golf) and order up the Polo box. Since the exhaust isn't in yet and won't be for a while I'll get this little conversion over and done with. I might also get the transmission just so I'll have a case for the guts of the ruined 02A but that's not decided yet.

Steve

Old July 16th, 2015, 20:50   #128
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Ordered the Polo shifter box and parts today, I'll get the 02J shifter tomorrow and then there will be no more complaining about it...lol

I ran across these while I was deleting pics from the phone today, had forgotten I'd taken pics of this car when I first saw it over a year ago. I took these on 6/21/2014 and the car was delivered on 7/27/2014. Although the weather has been obnoxious here and will be through the latter part of next week I'm hoping that the reassembly will be done and perhaps a running engine will be recorded on the anniversary.

Here it is parked under the apple tree where it had lived for about four years. Prior to that it had lived at an auto repair shop for about four years. The last time it was actually driven was sometime back in 2007. It hasn't been plated / registered since then. The passenger rear window was down about a quarter inch, the rear hatch wouldn't latch either and of course the roof leaked via the driver front sunroof drain and the roof panel seams. And then of course there was the big missing body plug that let mice in / out freely.

The last photo is of the roof, and that's after I removed the old coil spring mattress and a large old window fan that had been tossed up there. Also notice the cat reclining on the roof in the first picture.

Steve

Old July 18th, 2015, 13:26   #129
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Bad news, 1stVWparts is out of the Polo / Lupo shifter box kit for Mk3/B4. They don't know when they'll be getting more because they come from VW classic parts I guess.

I either have to wait (could be quite a while) or try sourcing a used one via alternate source.

Steve

Old July 20th, 2015, 12:06   #130
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Talk to Frans (Dutch Auto Parts), I'm sure he can get you one at a very good price.
Old July 20th, 2015, 17:09   #131
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
Talk to Frans (Dutch Auto Parts), I'm sure he can get you one at a very good price.
I will do that, I need that thing like yesterday...just like I need my eurotuning.cz six speed conversion here yesterday.

Steve

Old July 21st, 2015, 03:40   #132
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
I will do that, I need that thing like yesterday...just like I need my eurotuning.cz six speed conversion here yesterday.

Steve
Did you order one? That and the lupo box / O2j shifter mod make the car sweet to drive.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 18:17   #133
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Did you order one? That and the lupo box / O2j shifter mod make the car sweet to drive.
I did, and they cancelled the order the next day. I received an email stating that they were out (odd that they still allow people to buy them) and they didn't know when they would be getting more since they come from classic VW parts. This was 1stVWparts.com.

I did notice that you can order one via ecstuning but they clearly state that it won't ship until late August.

My next stop is Frans, although I sent him a PM a while back and other than a redirect to send him my email I've heard nothing. I think he's being inundated with stuff right now. I also contacted another seller in the Netherlands but haven't heard back and probably wont since I doubt they want to ship it to the US.

I did get the 02J shifter assembly / cables and shift tower today so I have that much of it at this point. Now I just need to get the Polo box and the shift finger / bottom cover and I'll be all set.

Steve

Old July 21st, 2015, 18:24   #134
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

more than a couple have made the 02J shift box fit, I don't see why you wouldn't try. Then again many don't try things without direct guidance. See how the 02J box fits and get that swap done
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 18:27   #135
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiTDi View Post
more than a couple have made the 02J shift box fit, I don't see why you wouldn't try. Then again many don't try things without direct guidance. See how the 02J box fits and get that swap done
I don't need the guidance, I just don't want to do hacking and cutting in the tunnel when I have four perfectly good mounting points and a shifter box available that will fit like it was meant to go there.

I'd rather spend the $$ to buy the correct box rather than futz around trying to make something else work.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Addy; July 21st, 2015 at 18:29.