www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 27th, 2016, 22:35   #241
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Interior is getting closer to being done. Couple doors left to finish and then some seat cleaning and install and it should be there on the inside. I still have some other wiring to do but can't finish that stuff because I don't have the pyro gauge yet and nor do I have a pod to put it in.

I'm not happy with the cleanliness of the headliner, but it wasn't like I had choices. Also, it doesn't really clean very well either so I'll have to live with it for now.

Got the new rear plastics all cleaned and installed. The new cargo cover looks nice and will work well. A few little trim pieces that I'd like to replace are most likley NLA now. One is a kind of grip / handle on the cover itself, the second is a little flip up cover on the slot the cover rides in at the end near the tailgate. I've queried the part numbers and it doesn't look like promising.

I also have to transfer the seat upholstery / cushions for the back lower seats from the sedan frames to the wagon frames, which really shouldn't be too tough.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:09   #242
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Location: 3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachusetts

why not rewrap the headliner? Seems like a logical thing to do considering the time you've already invested in everything else...It's fairly easy to do, will really set it all off! Threads discussing this process are out there, damn near every scene kid with a lowered mk4 has redone his headliner..and most haven't done nearly as much in depth as you have so far...
GTiTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:25   #243
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiTDi View Post
why not rewrap the headliner? Seems like a logical thing to do considering the time you've already invested in everything else...It's fairly easy to do, will really set it all off! Threads discussing this process are out there, damn near every scene kid with a lowered mk4 has redone his headliner..and most haven't done nearly as much in depth as you have so far...
I've thought about it several times, and maybe I will in the future but just not right now. I need this car on the road, the Jetta needs some down time for maint and I need the wagon road ready and buttoned up in a week.

Perhaps when I go back to address some of the deficiencies in the sound system later in the fall I'll take time to do this.

Steve

Old March 28th, 2016, 10:06   #244
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

At least it's a wagon, far less effort needed to get the headliner out
Old April 2nd, 2016, 22:39   #245
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiTDi View Post
At least it's a wagon, far less effort needed to get the headliner out
Yes, wagon has a much easier time getting it out, sedan is a bit more of a pita.

Small update, interior reinstall wrapping up, finished repainting rockers and some patching welds in the floor, I think it's about as done as it will be for a few years. This car will eventually need rockers if it stays in the mid-west, I just didn't feel like getting involved in that at the moment. Maybe in 12-18 months I'll feel differently about it.

A few things remain on the inside to finish up but I did take the car on a little freeway trip tonight. I believe that my suspicion about the bad passenger wheel bearing was right, about half way through the trip (62 mile round trip) I started getting some rumbling. I'm not sure I mentioned it before but I had replaced these at the beginning but forgot to install outer cv cups and I ended up moving the car back and forth a couple times, which I suspected toasted the right side bearing. I'm not sure whether the left side also got wrecked or not.

At any rate, I have two more bearings that I can install if they both got messed up, I'll be checking these tomorrow and replacing them both if necessary, one will get done at least.

Other than the rumbling the car drove nicely. I'm not accustomed to it so there was a bit of weirdness but it shouldn't be a big deal to get used to it. Also it was dirty, I need to head to the car wash tomorrow too.

I'm heading to NE Iowa on Monday for several days to visit family (spring visit) so I'll take this car since it needs to be road tested anyway. Once I get back I'll be taking it in for PDR for that driver side fender dent and then to a detailer friend who does great work.

Also I still have the front bumper cover to finish up. It needs some reinforcement and a repaint. I need to pickup some extruded aluminum flat bars at the hardware to do a little reinforcement work but the paint is already mixed for it. I also need to attend to a couple spots of rust on the tailgate where the name plate goes.

Steve

Old April 3rd, 2016, 22:05   #246
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Rumble turned out to be crappy tires. I've run across this before but never at highway speeds, only on inner city streets going about 30mph.

I stole the wheels / tires off the Jetta since the Jetta will be in the garage for a while getting maint work done to it. These aren't great but they'll be fine until I get the wheels I bought for the wagon repainted and the new tires mounted.

It's driving quite well, nothing weird or unusual although I still don't have the AC hooked up yet. I asked my neighbor across the street to help me with it and he said he didn't have time at the moment so I'm in a holding pattern until he does. All the components are in but I haven't connected the dryer yet and I won't until it's time to pull a vacuum on it.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Addy; April 5th, 2016 at 09:42.
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:19   #247
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Did a small 410 mile trip over the course of the week, car performed very well, nothing out of sorts, no surprises. The weather wasn't great, driving into the wind and some periodic rain. The return trip was better but still plagued by cross winds.

Now that I'm back time to get back to finishing up the car. All that remains is to finish the interior assembly, get the exterior detailing done and get to fixing the front bumper cover.

I do think though that I'm losing the rear brake pressure regulator, I noticed the lever was moist when I was under the car last week, looks like I'll need to get one of those on order. I also noticed that it seems like there's a lot of pedal travel so it might be time to get a new MC here too. Might be opportunity to do the 25mm MC upgrade.

The European headlights are working fine, I'm using the French yellow bulbs that I've had for years now. I really need to find a nice flat parking lot with a white building wall so I can aim the headlights.

Steve

Old April 14th, 2016, 11:00   #248
Col Sanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51 mpg last time I checked it. Audi no numbers yet.

Your talents are amazing !
Col Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 20:50   #249
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Sanders View Post
Your talents are amazing !
Haha, I don't know about that! I'm still waiting for an update on your conversion project, I don't envy you dealing with the quattro.

Small update, found the origin of the coolant leak, it was the brand new Gates water pump so I had to tear out the alt / AC comp and pull the whole housing. I was literally slack-jawed when I saw that the leak was coming from the pump driveshaft. At any rate I happened to have a bocar VW pump that I could substitute so the swap got done today.

I really hate draining coolant, there's never any easy way of doing it without just making a big mess.

Also, brake master went fully south late last week so I ordered up a new MC (actually two of them). I had decided a while back that I would go with the 25.4mm MC from the Audi with the Girling 60 dual pot calipers so last Sunday night I ordered that MC. However, by Tuesday I was having second thoughts after I'd read some differing views on the larger MC so I turned around and ordered a replacement 22.2mm MC like the original one. It will be here on Saturday I think. I haven't decided which one to install yet although the bigger one is here already...

Next week I have plans to get the car into a PDR place to remove that rather large dent in the driver fender, then later it'll go to a friend who does detailing (expensive detailing) so hopefully it'll look less chalky than it does now.

Also the front bumper and fog light frames are done but even after four days it seems like it's not dry. I used single stage urethane with catalyst so maybe it'll just take a while. I also fixed that rust spot on the rear hatch too.

Steve

Old April 27th, 2016, 21:00   #250
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

So the brakes are finally fixed. Not sure if the MC was actually bad or not but in my haste to place blame I picked that since I knew it was the oldest component in the system, or at least I thought it was the oldest.

Ended up the problem was the rear brake force regulator. It must have been pressurizing when the pedal was pushed but then would allow air to enter the system when the pedal was released, hence the reason that it couldn't be bled properly. And since the regulator controls both circuits once the regulator failed both circuits failed.

Any rate it's fixed now and the rear bled properly and the only thing left to do on the brakes is to adjust regulator...which should be done with some type of pressure apparatus.

Glad to have the car back on the road. Maybe I can now get the front bumper cover completed and installed!

Steve

Old May 11th, 2016, 11:40   #251
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

AC system button up evacuated and charged. Seems to be working very well. I had to adjust the lower dryer to condenser hose so it wouldn't interfere with the B3 bumper cover. Cooling fans (ala VR6) operate as they should

Still waiting on the bumper cover to dry. It's been over a month and it (and the fog surrounds) are still tacky.

I have complained to the shop that mixed the spray bomb and they've said they'll remake it but that does nothing for the labor effort. I'd rather find a good original alpine white cover but that's needle in haystack...

Not happy about paint work...

Steve

Old June 2nd, 2016, 21:21   #252
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

I think this will be about the last post. Although there are a few things left to complete there's nothing big left to do really.

The car got a long voyage last weekend, it hauled me and my bike down to the Horsey Hundred century ride in Georgetown KY. The car never complained once, was a joy to drive and returned close to 50 mpg for the whole trip running 75+ with AC on too. All told it covered about 1350 miles and it was really a pleasure to drive.

The front bumper cover and fog light surrounds are installed but because the shop goofed on the paint and the spray bomb apparently didn't get any catalyst it's still not completely dry, even after a month and a half of sitting.

The paint will need to come off (not happy about it) or I'll need to find a good front bumper with factory paint. The people who mixed it know I'm not happy, they mixed me another one, but that does little to help with the labor side of the equation since I'll have to strip off the alpine white and the green beneath it. The stripper isn't good enough to distinguish where to stop. Basically I'll be starting over which isn't something I'm wanting to do.

I would prefer to just drive to a JY somewhere and pickup a good front bumper, I don't really have a lot of time to devote to this anymore, there's lots of other projects that I need to attend to on my house. I already devoted the time I had for this before and didn't anticipate having to dump a bunch more in because of idiots at the auto parts store paint counter.

Anyway, it looked nice before leaving, unfortunately now the soft paint has a ton of bugs embedded it it.

Steve

Old June 16th, 2016, 16:16   #253
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Over 3500 miles logged on the conversion so far. Can't say I've had any trouble to speak of yet although I'm rethinking my suspension setup in favor of Bilstein HD stuff.

Still putting small things back together and trying to locate a few missing things.

Steve

Old June 29th, 2016, 20:48   #254
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Installed Rocketchip RC2 a couple days ago. After futzing around trying to figure out why I was getting a 00575 code I realized the hoses to the N75 weren't on correctly. And then I realized they weren't on correctly again....

Well they're on right now and I'm getting no more codes.

Steve

Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:25   #255
GTiTDi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Macht Schnell! Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Installed Rocketchip RC2 a couple days ago. After futzing around trying to figure out why I was getting a 00575 code I realized the hoses to the N75 weren't on correctly. And then I realized they weren't on correctly again....

Well they're on right now and I'm getting no more codes.

Steve
Practice makes perfect?