2002 TDI Jetta RPM Jumping

SilverTurtle

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
First of all I would like to apologize if this question has already been answered but I have not been able to find it using the search button or any other website.

So recently I cleaned out the Intake Manifold, Replaced the Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter. After I did all that it was running alot smoother than before but then one day I started the car and the RPMs go from 9-10k down to 6-7k and then back up and it sort of jumps back and forth for a little bit. I thought it was the MAF sensor so I replaced it, but the problem is still there. I have not been driving the car around for about 2 weeks because of this problem and I dont want to make it worse but I can't find answer. So if you guys could help me that would be great! :) thanks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Getting a lot of bluish-white smoke when this happens? Sounds like a runaway since the ECU should limit the speed except you usually have to rev it up with the pedal first for it to take off on its own.

Pull the lower intercooler hose off and see how much oil drains out.

You didn't do anything to the pump?

Don't start it again until you figger this out.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
After checking the stuff on the above post, then try the "hammer mod" on the fuel pump - look that one up. If that doesn't work then figure you have a fuel pump issue. How many miles on the car? Something gets worn or loose in the pump and it can't hold the idle and/or timing. I had a car that did this only when it idled and then ran fine down the road under a load. A different pump cured the problem. If you start looking for a used pump, keep in mind there are 2 different ones VW used. One for the Automatics (11mm) and one for the Manuals (10mm). The auto can work great in the manual with a few tweeks but the manual one will reduce your power in the Auto. You then need to put in manual stock nozzles to bring the power back up.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
After some more thought I don't think it's running on oil or it wouldn't shut down with the key.

I'd still check the IC then pull the QA off for a look BUT I've done it before and know how to adjust it and have VCDS.

Silver, are you really saying it revs to 10,000 then settles at 7,000 rpm?

SilverTurtle

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the help guys I will check both things you guys said and report back.
KLXD no it should be at 9-10 normally but it drops down to about 6-7 and goes back up and sorta repeats itself for a little while. When it finally stops doing that it settles at 9-10

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Forget what I suggested about runaways and IC with oil. Normal idle is about 930. You're saying it's running low to normal I think.

You need to get it hooked up to VCDS and see what's going on. I wouldn't try hammer modding without VCDS.

Is the CEL on?

philokie

TDI
1998 New Beetle, Red/Black 2002 Jetta GLS TDI, Black/Black, 2017 Audi A4 S line, 77 Corvette
That sounds more like a bad MAF to me. Try unplugging the MAF and see if the problem goes away and it idled normally. If so then replace the MAF.

Last edited: