80k major service, 1400$ is there a way to save

surclay

TDI
87 F-250 6.9, 03 VW GLS wagon
hi , i need to get the 80k service and get my tbelt done, its curently at 83k ,
it cost 600 from dealer in gilroy, and the rest of the service is another 800 for fluid flushes and check up stuff would you recomend just geting the tbelt done and saving on fluids and going elseware, or having vw do the fluids and the other checkup stuff, car has no problems at the moment its a manual shift. thanks...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Are you talking about the 2003 TDI ???

The timing belt's rated at 100,000 miles for that model year... (although many of us would prefer to change it just a bit early - 90-95,000 miles)...

Is this a manual or automatic transmission ??

How handy are you?? These cars aren't all that difficult to maintain... you can buy filter kits (as well as all-inclusive timing belt kits) from some of the fine online vendors on this site...

Just keep reading here for a while... oh, by the way, many here would caution you to avoid the dealerships unless you know for a fact that the dealer mechanics have extensive experience with the TDI's... (I would also bet that that price you got from the dealer for the belt change does NOT include all the needed parts... rollers, water pump, torque-to-yield bolts...)

Keep an eye on the West Coast/Canada forum... one of the Super-Gurus here is planning to go to San Francisco some time soon to change a bunch of timing belts... I'd bet he's changed at least three times as many TDI timing belts as your friendly local dealer...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154406

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: my usual links for New-Bies:

Parts Suppliers:
www.metalmanparts.com
www.tdiparts.com
www.dieselgeek.com
www.worldimpex.com
Bleached Bora’s reference list: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=97080

How-To's:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=569892 (Wingnut's "how-to" message thread)

Timing Belt replacement procedure (download the file... just for your info, although it doesn't include the water pump replacement - considered essential!!!)
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Quick-Time Videos:
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/snowscreen.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/fuelfilter.html
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/coolantmigration.html

Last edited:

sthussey

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yeah, it would be nice to have you at the GTG so we could see all the steps to an 80k mi service. And you'd probably save yourself $500+.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
surclay@yahoo.com said:
hi , i need to get the 80k service and get my tbelt done, its curently at 83k ,
it cost 600 from dealer in gilroy, and the rest of the service is another 800 for fluid flushes and check up stuff would you recomend just geting the tbelt done and saving on fluids and going elseware, or having vw do the fluids and the other checkup stuff, car has no problems at the moment its a manual shift. thanks...
Get a deluxe TB kit from dieselgeek or metalmanparts or tdiparts. Go the Oct 21st TB GTG and have it installed by Drivbiwire. While you are waiting around, someone can help you change the oil, replace the fuel filter and air filter and cabin filter. Maybe even flush your brake fluid. Just do everything the same day.

Save at least $500, probably more. And it will be a better, more-complete job that you would get at a dealership for $1400... their estimate may not include new rollers and a new waterpump.

surclay

TDI
wow! thanks. it is a 2003, manual thans, and i am very handy, so ill wait till 90k. but the fluid sound good to flush, do vw tdi need any sort of special fluids? ie. radiator, brake,sterring. and do you recomend changing water pump at same time. and what is the GTG? is there a good book you recomend for vw repair like on my old toyota, i used a chiltons. thank you!

sthussey

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Bentley manual is the favorite around here..

Bentley @ TDIparts

The GTG is a Get ToGether. Someone posted a link above to the thread for it. A GTG is just TDIclub people getting together to work on their cars, talk about their cars, show off their cars, etc... I'm hoping to change my glowplugs and get the CEL cleared on my car.

It is a good place to begin learning about your TDI and the maintenance tasks that should be done.

EDIT: And yes, the Jetta takes VW certified fluids. For coolant, you need G12. I'm not sure on the others, the more knowledgable can let you know. And it is recommended that the water pump be replaced when the TB is changed. The deluxe kits found at dieselgeek, TDIparts, etc... contain the the water pump, belt, tensioner, rollers, and everything else that needs replaced.

Last edited:

surclay

TDI
great video cips, i know i can do all of these, any for the coolant flush, where do i find thoes.

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
surclay@yahoo.com said:
great video cips, i know i can do all of these, any for the coolant flush, where do i find thoes.
I buy G12 at the dealer. Just easier than worrying about combatibility. Just be prepared for sticker-shock: ~$24/gal. :( Be sure to use distilled water as well. No point in buying expensive coolant and then dirty'ing it up with crappy tap water.

I just completed the 100K service on my '03. The dealer quoted me $800 to do the TB and water pump. It's also unlikely they would have replaced the tensioner and idler pullies that come with the Deluxe kit. Other fluids & filters I do myself anyway. I chose to buy the tools and do the TB myself. I spent more than $800 total ($280 for Deluxe TB kit, $250 for TDI tools, $270 for VAG-COM, $200 for additional specialty tools), but I have the tools now so the next TB change will cost considerably less.

However, I do a lot service to my cars (we have seven) and had a fairly extensive tool collection before starting. For instance, I have three torque wrenches (different ranges) and used all of them for this job.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
You don't need to flush out the cooling system on these cars !!! When you replace the water pump as a part of the timing belt change, you top it off with real G-12 from either the dealer or one of the online vendors... (VW "brand" or Pentosin) mixed with distilled water...

If you can spare the time, it would still be a good idea to drive up to SanFran when Drivbiwire comes into town for his periodic timing belt marathons... I'm sure you'll learn a LOT !!! (He's the one who put together the timing belt replacement how-to linked above...)

BTW: one of the online vendors (metal man) also rents the specialized tools for the timing belt change, in case you wind up doing this yourself...

All the best,

Yuri.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Ian F said:
I buy G12 at the dealer. Just easier than worrying about combatibility. Just be prepared for sticker-shock: ~$24/gal. :( Be sure to use distilled water as well. No point in buying expensive coolant and then dirty'ing it up with crappy tap water.
It is not a big factor when you are talking about a grand or more but I just bought G12 from Impex for $17.85.

Sure wish there was a TB GTG around here!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
daedalus said:
Sure wish there was a TB GTG around here!
You've got a good man not too far away, up in Port Jervis. He must be about 50 miles from you.