Particulate Filter replacement $$

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
of course you can clear the ash load.

there is a procedure spelled out on the ross tech site, intended for use when you replace the DPF.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4829285&postcount=6

I agree that the ash load is an estimated value, but it does not seem to be based on any measurements of anything; the ash load number only moves once every 10,000 miles or so.

if you think your car is junk, do not put any money into it.

if you think the car is basically fine, and you like it, fix whatever breaks, and drive on.

keep in mind that ash load is not soot.

if the measured soot moves so fast, two things seem likely (based on my personal wild ass guess)

first is that at high mileage, the available area of the DPF may be reduced by actual ash. other is that there may be other issues with the car that produce more soot than is normal.

(probably some combination)

it is not that bad to expect to do something with the DPF on the way to 300,000 miles, if you ask me. (clean, replace, illegal delete)

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I have a cracked DPF on my 11 tdi wagon it come on around 125,000 miles dealer wanted $2600 to replace it, my indie said about $1200-1400 to replace it, I also need a TB at 130,000 ( as of today I am at 129,500) , do not think it makes sense to throw 3,000 grand in my cart drive it another 2 years until I see what the fix would be, leaning towards selling it back to VW, but the problem is what to replace it with?????

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I plan to just remove and drive.

I cringe @ 780*C on that poor turbo.

Unplugged maf and nothing ever gets above 350*C.

Malone soon.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It does get complicated when you try to figure things out. I had the timing belt done on my car. I need brakes too, probably all around and rotors. I'm also planning to get the CP3 pump upgrade soon. All of that is very much less than the cost of a new car if I took the buyback. And if a fix comes out the payment from VW would cover everything and more, so it's essentially free to stay in the car and probably $15K for me to get the car I'd want.

I have a cracked DPF on my 11 tdi wagon it come on around 125,000 miles dealer wanted $2600 to replace it, my indie said about $1200-1400 to replace it, I also need a TB at 130,000 ( as of today I am at 129,500) , do not think it makes sense to throw 3,000 grand in my cart drive it another 2 years until I see what the fix would be, leaning towards selling it back to VW, but the problem is what to replace it with?????

S

SmokeyPete

I say ignore it if you can. I had an intermittent P401 code which I feel I overreacted to by getting the dpf, egr and egr filter replaced two years ago for $1300 at an independent shop. From what I understand a Cracked DPF still works okay enough and now that there is a buyback there is a better option

I originally joined the site because of that shocking $2900 dealer quote myself.

Tell me, what code are you actually getting. A p401 or is the actual DPF icon illuminated on your dash?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I got the dash icon and than had it scanned a p401, gotta talk w my indie but not sure I want to toss 3 k in my car to see what else may go.

QUOTE=SmokeyPete;5144424]I say ignore it if you can. I had an intermittent P401 code which I feel I overreacted to by getting the dpf, egr and egr filter replaced two years ago for $1300 at an independent shop. From what I understand a Cracked DPF still works okay enough and now that there is a buyback there is a better option
I originally joined the site because of that shocking $2900 dealer quote myself.
Tell me, what code are you actually getting. A p401 or is the actual DPF icon illuminated on your dash?[/QUOTE]

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
One thing I regret is not going to German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM) to get the timing belt at the same time as getting a CP3 HPFP upgrade with the 2Micron filter. I think there is some overlap in the work, so it would have been cost effective to do them at the same time. If you decide to do the work, I'd go to GDM and get both at the same time. You must be close to them.

At least then you'd be safe going forward. They also do deletes. Who knows, maybe they have some used DPFs laying around.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
NJ is a emission state so I do not think I could do a delete, not sure if I would either way but I think NJ would frown on that. I like the idea of a used DPF I will look into that, at this point I am looking at every option, the sad part is I am driving my summer saab more that my TDI wagon until I figure out what to do regarding my TB and DPF.

One thing I regret is not going to German Diesel Motorwerks (GDM) to get the timing belt at the same time as getting a CP3 HPFP upgrade with the 2Micron filter. I think there is some overlap in the work, so it would have been cost effective to do them at the same time. If you decide to do the work, I'd go to GDM and get both at the same time. You must be close to them.
At least then you'd be safe going forward. They also do deletes. Who knows, maybe they have some used DPFs laying around.

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
It was an early 2010. VW America in the end did help with the repair (50% of total cost).
REVIEW: In 2014 our diesel particulate filter stopped working at 96k miles. We have an early 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which had the old style (2009) one piece cartridge assembly. They wanted $4k to replace it. VW USA did help and paid half.

Boy. What a piece of **** VWs particulate filter design is! 40k miles later the completely new particulate filter goes out. Not only does the car pollute too much, but the diesel particulate cartridge is poorly designed for the service. We do not do anything crazy with our VW. We just drive it.

The worst part is VW is not willing to help again. The dealer wants $2400 to replace it. On top of that our door locking system is bad, and that will cost a few hundred$ to fix. I can use the rest of our VW credit card to pay for that.

My predicament is that I want to convert the car to adblue (or whatever the fix will be), but I do not want to pay $2400 bucks for a diesel cartridge that I will probably dispose of fairly quickly. I have put a lot of additional money into this car (new emmission system, new module in DCG, replacement radio...), and the car is paid, and otherwise running fine.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would rather not, to be honest. I like the car.
I plan to keep mine as well.

If your car still had the original DPF design (one part with the DOC/DPF and the NOX Cat(aka NSC), I would expect the fix to include a new DPF.

for your car, since it was updated to the newer design, and for later 2010 to 2014 model year cars with the DPF not connected to the NOX cat,

the anticipated fix sounds like it does not include any change for the DPF.

so you are likely on the hook for the DPF, if, indeed, it is really bad.

based on stories I have seen here, I would want to purchase a VCDS, and see exactly what the symptoms are, and know why the DPF is thought bad before paying for another replacement.

what exactly are the symptoms for your DPF?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you know what the actual codes are that resulted in the light?

and how long till you need to pass emissions inspection?

JohnQPublic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sporwagen
Do you know what the actual codes are that resulted in the light?

and how long till you need to pass emissions inspection?
I did not look at the codes. I was actually driving it to the dealer to fix the locking system when it came on.

I think August. So I might be able to settle before it becomes an issue. The dealer said driving with the filter unchanged would be ok.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you should know for sure well before that what the details of the "fix" really end up.

could be they somehow include a DPF for your car

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
There are many DPF with 250,000 and still going.

Yes you should make sure the DPF needs replacing, run the codes and force a Regen with the proper VAGCOM cable (Ross Tech).

nff405599

TDI
2010 Jetta
Only time will tell how long the DPF's last. Who has the highest mileage 2009 out there?

The manual does say check at 120k miles, then every 10k thereafter. Then after the first replacement to replace every 120k miles.

The latest price I found online (genuine VW part) is $840.00 with a $100 core charge.

I would NOT remove the DPF! Why you ask?
Well two reasons... The first is VW designed the LP EGR (Low Pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system to pull exhaust gas after the DPF. The recirculated exhaust gas is then routed back to the INPUT of your turbos air compressor. Borg Warner manufactured the turbo out of specific metals, and special coatings to be able to handle the fairly harsh environment. I would bet it would be a bad idea to allow the particulate (which the DPF normally collects) flow through the air intake side of your turbocharger.

Second reason is the exhaust system has pressure, differential pressure, and temperature sensors that would need to be fooled into thinking the DPF is still there operating normally. So its not as easy as just pulling the DPF out.

Regarding high mileage DPF, I had 210K plus miles on my 210 TDI and had a check engine light with codes for the EGR and DPF, not the DPF light, when I submitted the car for the recall upgrade. Rusty Wallace in Garland Texas not only did the required work but they replaced the DPF, EGR valve and the Flapper valve in the exhaust pipe at no charge.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it would seem your 2010 was an early one, which was assembled with the single part DPF and NOX cat. replacement of these, as well as the flapper and egr is a normal part of the emissions update.

if the car had been made with a joint between the DPF and NOX cat, you would have been charged for one.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
There was another member with a 2010 TDI Cup Jetta sedan (MK5 body) with one piece system. I wonder if his car got the emission fix all sorted at the end.

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
i have a 2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi and had the fix last year (decided to keep the car). isn't the DPF covered by the extended warranty VW gave us after the fix? isn't the DPF included in that 51000 mile or 4 years extended warranty?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i have a 2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi and had the fix last year (decided to keep the car). isn't the DPF covered by the extended warranty VW gave us after the fix? isn't the DPF included in that 51000 mile or 4 years extended warranty?

should be

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have a warranty question too. I just got an injector fault. I cleared it and it came back after a couple of days. Do you think injectors are covered by the new warranty? I think maybe yes, since they're being called into to action more frequently with the more frequent regens.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have a warranty question too. I just got an injector fault. I cleared it and it came back after a couple of days. Do you think injectors are covered by the new warranty? I think maybe yes, since they're being called into to action more frequently with the more frequent regens.
If you got the fix.........yes all fuel system components are covered under extended warranty

FlyingVan

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
My 2011 Sportwagen got a brand spanking new DPF on Volkswagen's dime. 99840 miles, 10 months after receiving the 'fix'.

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
My 2014 Sportwagen got a brand spanking new DPF on Volkswagen's dime. 141,000 miles, 11 months after receiving the 'fix'.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There seems to be a trend starting here!

On August 1st, my 2010 Golf is also getting a brand spanking new DPF on Volkswagen's dime. I'm at 161,000 miles, that's 10 months and 8,000 miles after receiving the 'fix'.

If not for the new extended warranty I think I'd be getting a tune and delete. It would be nice to be done with all the regen activity, but I'm happy to keep on motoring with a new DPF since there will be no cost to me. So far on the warranty, I also got one new injector and a new intake manifold.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
If I may add here, I also went through "the fix" last year. I'm fortunate in that I have used the same tech on the car since the date I drove it off the lot (New). No one else has touched the car, and I've been religious (every 10K) about affecting all of the required maintenance work. In specifically asking him, after he performed the "fix", he indicated that my car would also be covered by the extended warranty.