Will VW re-sell the buy-backs?

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I'm wiling to bet that the vehicles Volkswagen will be buying back will not be resold. Even if some cars only need a re-flash of the ECU, can you imagine VW having to go back and fix all the emissions equipment that so many TDI Club members brag about removing from their vehicles?

For every percentage over 85% of the vehicles fixed or removed from the road, VW will have to pay $85,000,000 into a trust fund. I really can't imagine, after having their "fix" rejected already, they'll be spending much on another possible "fix" to be approved just to be applied to whatever cars they buy back that are in a respectable condition to be resold.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I'm wiling to bet that the vehicles Volkswagen will be buying back will not be resold. Even if some cars only need a re-flash of the ECU, can you imagine VW having to go back and fix all the emissions equipment that so many TDI Club members brag about removing from their vehicles?

For every percentage over 85% of the vehicles fixed or removed from the road, VW will have to pay $85,000,000 into a trust fund. I really can't imagine, after having their "fix" rejected already, they'll be spending much on another possible "fix" to be approved just to be applied to whatever cars they buy back that are in a respectable condition to be resold.
What people remove emissions equipment? Anyway it is much more than a flash that they need to do to the cars. If that was all that was required there would be a fix already. The 3.0 seems easier to fix. They might actually have a fix for them. I am guessing that if a bunch 2015 Porsche Cayan Diesel is sitting new at the dealers they will try an fix them.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Magic 8 ball says: Yes they will largely be resold. And many of the resold cars will eventually be deleted. Everybody wins.

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
My two cents based on zero facts.

The Gen2 and Gen3 will be fixed and resold. The Gen1 will be recycled. There is already a fix for all three, they are just waiting for EPA approval.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Couldn't they just re-sell them in 3rd world countries where they don't have to deal with the EPA?

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
Couldn't they just re-sell them in 3rd world countries where they don't have to deal with the EPA?
The settlement specifies that the cars have to be disabled before being exported from the USA, courtesy of something like a 3" hole through the engine block.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I would guess that they sell whatever they can to an unrelated company to fix, resell or scrap as allowed. VW isn't in the biz of refurbishing cars.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The settlement specifies that the cars have to be disabled before being exported from the USA, courtesy of something like a 3" hole through the engine block.
No, it doesn't. It specifies that they have to be fixed (with an approved emissions modification), or parted out minus a few specific parts (the ECU and DPF are on that list; I forget what else is). The hole through the engine block has nothing to do with the affected TDIs.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Since this is a completely hypothetical thread, I wonder if the TDIs can be fitted with gas engines, especially the ones that are new? VW/Audi is well known for their design tactics to reuse platform and such. Could they insert, say, a 1.8 TSI into the chassis of a 2.0 TDI?

Then they could melt all the TDI down and form a giant steel calf they could worship and name Gaia.

Just a thought. ;)

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
There is little data that a fix will ever come to light.
"Little data" other than the fact that the fixes are described, in a fair bit of detail, in the court documents, that is. Of course, that doesn't prove that they will be approved--we'll only know that if and when it happens.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Since this is a completely hypothetical thread I wonder if the TDIs can be fitted with gas engines, .... Could they insert, say, a 1.8 TSI into the chassis of a 2.0 TDI?

Then they could melt all the TDI down and form a giant steel calf they could worship and name Gaia.

Just a thought. ;)
Anything is possible, but VW won't be dropping gas engines in. I doubt they would be permitted to anyhow. That kind of swap would require an entire new drivetrain, ecu, cluster, and many other changes.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Since this is a completely hypothetical thread, I wonder if the TDIs can be fitted with gas engines, especially the ones that are new?
It's probably mechanically possible, but unlikely to be financially feasible. The ECU and cluster @turbobrick240 mentions would be straightforward enough, but it'd be a completely different engine wiring harness, and that'd be a major job to replace. Not only that, the engine is coded into the VIN, so that would add confusion.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
It's probably mechanically possible, but unlikely to be financially feasible. The ECU and cluster @turbobrick240 mentions would be straightforward enough, but it'd be a completely different engine wiring harness, and that'd be a major job to replace. Not only that, the engine is coded into the VIN, so that would add confusion.
True, most likely they would be disassembled and the parts shipped back to plants to reuse them if at all possible. I guess this is one area where having their "boiler plate" design model will help them, is what I was thinking.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
I'm calling it, all 2.0l will have a fix available, and all 3.0l will not and be offered a buy-back.

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
Sad to see my car go now that it is quiet, bought the car new about a year and half ago, 2015. wheel bearings went bad around 7K miles and drove it that way all the way up until recently at 20 k miles finally found a dealer that said all the noise was not normal and replaced wheel bearings and like a I have a new car now, they detailed the car for free too. So whoever gets my car after the VW Buyback will do alright, I'm sure they will fix the newer ones and resell.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Magic 8 ball says: Yes they will largely be resold. And many of the resold cars will eventually be deleted. Everybody wins.
I'm a fan of the Magic 8 Ball but it's important to realise that they are actually not even as good as random chance. Two thirds of the responses are positive. So it's considerably less useful in deciding choices, than tossing a coin!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
True, most likely they would be disassembled and the parts shipped back to plants to reuse them if at all possible. I guess this is one area where having their "boiler plate" design model will help them, is what I was thinking.
If you were buying and paying for a new car, would you want pre-abused parts in it?

Doesn't work that way. Any reclaimed parts will go through resale as individual used parts, not put into new vehicles. The potential enormous oversupply limits how useful this course of action could be.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat

Yes, they will re-sell them--wouldn't you of you owned a business that's just been forced to buy back products you've already sold? I tend to think they're patiently waiting for gas prices to rice to pre-2015 prices so they can get the most bang for the buck in the resale market.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Of course they are going to resell them. It's all about the $$$, always has been. How else can you explain their slow walking the salvage/damaged/title issue claims? THOSE vehicles are going to be harder to (or impossible to) resell. Every one they fix for a few bucks and resell will reduce the multi-billion dollar write-off.

It's been documented that there are parking lots covered with TDI's just waiting for the market to open up.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This was a bump to a year-and-a-half-old thread. It's KNOWN that VW is reselling the better-quality buybacks, slowly, so as not to flood the market and depress prices. It's also known that lots of them are being flattened. Passats with manual transmission have no fix ... those will be flattened. The rest of them are individual economic decisions.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I was gonna say West Virgina or Arkansas

All I know is my 2010 was crushed last October and left RI on a container ship bound to make fidgit spinners for the masses.

I haven't seen where our '12 Passat has ended up, but it was re titled in MI last I looked.

Last edited: