Hello. Back in a TDI again ?

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
Hi guys long time visitor of the forum. I picked up a 2006 Jetta TDI with 122xxx KM or 75k miles if you will.

Im noticing the interior of these cars on the upholstery peels off. What are ways of repairing this.

Also Im 2nd owner of this car and timing belt water pump and camshaft have never been done. How much time would you say i have untill this needs to be addressed. Happy to be back on this forum and looking forward to many miles and visits here.

Cheers

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
If the timing belt has never been done, I'd say you're at least 12 years overdue. I'd get it done before driving any further. The camshaft may not need to be replaced, remove the valve cover and check the cam lobes and lifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
@jonferns

The dealership that looked after the car recomended it at 80k miles which is what im sort of coming up to now.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Keep in mind, the 'lifespan' of rubber is 5 years, not to mention bearings drying out, etc. Drive at your own risk!

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
Keep in mind, the 'lifespan' of rubber is 5 years, not to mention bearings drying out, etc. Drive at your own risk!

Ya you are right... I should schedule and get it done, this car has many miles ahead of me. knock on wood.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I hope that you have a trusted VW savvy mechanic to look after your service needs... the dealerships don't have the best reputation, and tend to charge ridiculous rates.

I suspect the KW area offers a number of skilled VW "gurus", although I personally don't have first hand experience with them.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
BRM - piece of cake to do correctly.

If you're receiving quotes that are too expensive, shoot me a note - I can do it at my place in Cambridge.

As above - I would inspect the cam before the job to see if it is fine to go or needs to be replaced - better to do the belt and the cam at the same time. You wouldn't want to do the belt and find you need to do the cam afterward.

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
I hope that you have a trusted VW savvy mechanic to look after your service needs... the dealerships don't have the best reputation, and tend to charge ridiculous rates.

I suspect the KW area offers a number of skilled VW "gurus", although I personally don't have first hand experience with them.

Ive dealt with a place in cambridge before called Weide Motors gotta find out if they are still around. They never let me down before.

01whttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDi Wagon, stock and loving it.... for now.
Wiede Motors is still there and I am sure they are great... Windex would be my choice before anyone else though. Great guy who really knows his stuff. He has done a ton for me and everything has been more that I could ask for.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
That is a bit alarmist and extreme. Rubber doesn't just fail at 5 years. Otherwise we'd have serious issues with tires as well.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Im noticing the interior of these cars on the upholstery peels off. What are ways of repairing this.
If you mean the soft touch rubber on the door handles and such, 99% rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease takes off the coating. You end up with regular plastic handles, and they don’t look like they have leprosy anymore.

e300d

Veteran Member
TDI
2xBEW wagon 1xALH wagon..both gone...no more diesel for now..have few Mercedes CDIs in family..but now its a Miata and Suburban for me lol...miss the TDI game
Vili!

classic! I bought w124 rims from you like 10 years ago lol

Now I am rolling in a Suburban V8 and XC90 V8 lol where is fuel eco??

Kind of wanna go back to tdi myself...:D