Where to get ALH nozzles installed?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Where does one go to get ALH nozzles installed? I'm looking at buying some .240 from darkside developments, and it would be nice to have my injectors cleaned/calibrated if need be as well (I'd be sending in spares). I don't know the first thing about where I would take my injectors to have this done, however.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Count drive by wire out. I got a set of nozzles from darkside and asked DBW to do them and he wanted nothing to do with me. I ended up sending mine to darkside.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
We install nozzles, but I'd rather install my own versions.

The problem with 'other guy's nozzles' is, if one doesn't work, what are you going to pay me for 3/4's of a set?

The size you are anticipating is what is more commonly known as a 764. We have great success with a couple of versions of those nozzles.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Where does one go to get ALH nozzles installed? I'm looking at buying some .240 from darkside developments, and it would be nice to have my injectors cleaned/calibrated if need be as well (I'd be sending in spares). I don't know the first thing about where I would take my injectors to have this done, however.

You can go with XMAN on Facebook. He is out of the UK and will do new injectors (without a core) for about $350. If you need his contact information PM me.

Otherwise you could go with Kerma here in the US. MECEVO does them I believe. Or you can call your local diesel shop and ask. They might be able to point you in the right direction. Right there in town you have Flying Diesel, Mobile Diesel and Brutal off-road.

Beware of Khajiit though. "Khajiit has wares, if you have the coin."

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Darkside will install the nozzles for a fee:

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ve-injector-nozzle-fitment-install-service.html

I've also used DFIS: http://www.dfispdx.com/

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd just find a Bosch fueling shop near you that can install and test them. There are lots around.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Or go old school and install them yourself... 100k on mine and nothing has exploded. Not a popular opinion here it seems nowadays.[emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Or go old school and install them yourself... 100k on mine and nothing has exploded. Not a popular opinion here it seems nowadays.[emoji16]

Very rare to see immediate engine damage unless installed like an idiot!
The issue is uneven across each cylinder and poor spray patterns creating high heat and low efficiency
Expect journal crank wear and other issues to show up on time.
It's less than idea but to some modifiers 100k is more than enough life to them.
I prefer 500k on a tdi, but hey, call me old fashioned.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Meh, to each their own, can't report any inefficiency either, consistent 1200km on a tank. I'd kind of wish something would happen so I can let go of this car, basically already been totalled body wise but just too much fun.

Professional installation and calibration vs do it yourself has basically been beat to death here, there will always be a difference in opinion.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I'd just find a Bosch fueling shop near you that can install and test them. There are lots around.

pkhoury,
I'd check locally for a good diesel shop if you can't find a Bosch one.
I've got a local Mom & Pop operation that does a set for me for $120.
The 2 stage setup can be done by done by someone who knows what they're
doing. Or buy a pop tester on Ebay for less than a $100, getting the spring
shims is the hard part, they need to be hardened. It's not really very high tech.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Just so you know, as soon as you bring product from across the puddle, you get 20% VAT. You need mention that.

As for how these nozzles are produced, we have over 10 years in our "ma and pa" shop, not only calibrating, but we have developed methods that are unique. We have taken several supposedly 'set' injectors and turned them from fuel-sucking pigs to great performance/ economy nozzles. Paul, the OP and I have a history and know each other. Trust also counts for a lot.

As for the 'do it yourselfer', we have seen over the years how it's done. Several have taken forays into trying to set them up with varying results. One particular vendor's nozzles, we watched for a full year's events and once a month, they melted the pistons out of an engine... no joke. Eric Antos was the first in a string of them. those are supposedly 'calibrated'. The vendor always says 'it's the installers/ owner's fault...' whomever, but not him.

Those who I have set their nozzles know the difference in getting 28 mpg, turned into 44 mpg, by properly setting injectors. And here's the real trick...that was done by using the existing injectors... Some will not even look at injectors that aren't 'there own', but replace them. In a Mr. Verhey's case, although he requested they be replaced, we told him we would check them and it turned out, we repaired them... yes, 'repaired' the nozzles.

Now, as for volume, we are not capable of producing a large volume of product, and that is not my purpose. I'd rather get them right, one set at a time.

As for the Bosch shops, last I knew, the rules were to test the first stage. If the injector failed, replace the injector. Our local Bosch dealer refers VW's to me. They would rather work on a Caterpillar or Freightliner, etc., where they get the big bucks.

The rest of the story is, setting pressures is not job finished. We have seen all about that. We have developed a method of testing and setting the VOLUME of both stages. It's a little more work, but the results speak for themselves. If you don't get the flow volume correct, your injectors will vary, one from another. Excess fuel means excess heat. If one injector blows too much fuel, and we have seen a lot of that... the EGT may say it's a little warm, but the one cylinder may be screaming 'Melt Down'.

'You get what you pay for.' It's still mostly true. Sometimes, you pay too much and still don't get the value, but get hammered.

One last thing... this has to do with upgrading PD injectors. We are not going to invest the $75,000 in equipment to get them done correctly. We have enough to do. But even more than that, we really don't like upgrading when it's not necessary. For example, when we tune a PD engine, we do not change the injectors, 'just because' you want another 30-40 hp. We see what the injectors will do. We have PLENTY of engines increased from 100 to 150 hp (or more) with the same injectors that came in the vehicle. The rule is simple. Try what you got before you waste $1000 for nozzles that belch black smoke and are too big.

The PD injectors' duty cycle for the second stage is calibrated in milliseconds that the solenoid operates. Increasing the duration is the tuners map to figure out. There is usually enough volume in the injector to fuel quite an additional volume. So, as long as the driver chips in the ECU are not overworked, the fueling can be raised in the stock injectors, usually to the point the customer is happy and they kept a $grand$ in their pocket. If the chipset is driven to it's safe limit and there is not enough fuel, that is reason for moving up in injector size. But without trying the originals out, you will not know. Bluntly, what have you got to lose? Answer: $1000. There is a recent customer; a Mr. d'Allesio whom we told that. He wished he'd talked to us before he made the purchase. But there is no going back. His previous nozzles are in the trash. Hopefully, we can get his Malone tuner to pull the excess smoke out.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I might do that instead. Since I started this thread, alphaseinor pointed me towards a Bosch shop in DFW/North Texas that will install them and refurb whatever I need of the injector. I have a spare set in a spare head that I'd be outfitting the nozzles to, so I don't have any downtime removing my own (current) injectors.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
pkhoury,
I'd check locally for a good diesel shop if you can't find a Bosch one.
I've got a local Mom & Pop operation that does a set for me for $120.
The 2 stage setup can be done by done by someone who knows what they're
doing. Or buy a pop tester on Ebay for less than a $100, getting the spring
shims is the hard part, they need to be hardened. It's not really very high tech.
I'd still rather someone who does this every day do it. I don't trust myself, and don't want to f*** something up if I make a mistake.

Just so you know, as soon as you bring product from across the puddle, you get 20% VAT. You need mention that.
Actually, after putting nozzles in my cart from darkside, VAT went away. Granted, there's shipping, but I'm going to be ordering a Sachs SRE clutch and flywheel for a 5 speed swap on the same car, anyways.
One last thing... this has to do with upgrading PD injectors. We are not going to invest the $75,000 in equipment to get them done correctly. We have enough to do. But even more than that, we really don't like upgrading when it's not necessary. For example, when we tune a PD engine, we do not change the injectors, 'just because' you want another 30-40 hp. We see what the injectors will do. We have PLENTY of engines increased from 100 to 150 hp (or more) with the same injectors that came in the vehicle. The rule is simple. Try what you got before you waste $1000 for nozzles that belch black smoke and are too big.

The PD injectors' duty cycle for the second stage is calibrated in milliseconds that the solenoid operates. Increasing the duration is the tuners map to figure out. There is usually enough volume in the injector to fuel quite an additional volume. So, as long as the driver chips in the ECU are not overworked, the fueling can be raised in the stock injectors, usually to the point the customer is happy and they kept a $grand$ in their pocket. If the chipset is driven to it's safe limit and there is not enough fuel, that is reason for moving up in injector size. But without trying the originals out, you will not know. Bluntly, what have you got to lose? Answer: $1000. There is a recent customer; a Mr. d'Allesio whom we told that. He wished he'd talked to us before he made the purchase. But there is no going back. His previous nozzles are in the trash. Hopefully, we can get his Malone tuner to pull the excess smoke out.
Interesting thought, but I'm not sure it was that relevant to this conversation. I'm fairly happy with my BEW, but if I ever did upgrade/replace injectors, I'd just go the PD150 route and a retune. Otherwise, I don't really see the point of upgrading PD injectors right now.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
I had the same dilemma recently and was , uh, encouraged not to use drivebiwire's/Kerma's services.

I found a place in Salt Lake City that works on everything from huge 20 story lift cranes to aircraft jets.

They even let me watch my injector calibration on a Bosch EPS digital machine. They have separate machines for volume calibration and yet another dedicated for spray patterning. Good stuff, less than $150 for 4 VE injectors.

CIS/Certified Injection Service.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I was not trying to bash DBW. Kerma really has nothing to do with it as they use DBW for injector service. I personally had a few hickups with him and know what the outcome of asking him to install another company’s nozzles.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yeah, through this thread and otherwise, I heard bad things about DBW, so I won't go that route (and I don't want to piss off my tuner, either). I was also told of a ballpark figure around $80-300 for all 4 injectors, depending on what else needs to be done, which for me, isn't that bad. I'd prefer to have it done right, so I don't have to do it again.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
I wasn't trying to bash either, I just had some indications that DBW wasn't going to do work for me. I had actually used Kerma years ago for a set of Bosios, but it seems like most Bosch certified shops with current digital calibration equipment can do a good job on a set of VE injectors.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
If I was getting darkside nozzles i would have them set up there too. Then diy install following the nozzle install instruction pdf on this site by dbw. Pretty straight forward and clear directions. If you find a local diesel injector shop that’ll do it all that would be easiest. I am considering wuzetem nozzles but I don’t know of a local shop for testing. So I’ll install them myself once a testing shop presents itself. I contacted dfis with no response. Often people insist on using their own nozzles, which makes me question the whole process. If a nozzle is bad, the process ought to be delayed until 4 good ones are matched.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Oh I understand my friend. Just clarifying I wasn’t bashing in the least.

As for darkside it’s really not that much to send them over seas and have them do the mount and testing. I made a mistake and used USPS which cost way too much. I recommend using DHL if possible. That’s who darkside uses. They are super fast.

I bought the nozzles and did mounting directly thru them. I have used darkside a lot for my golf.

swapmeat

Veteran Member
TDI
b4v....died, engine swapped into mk1 caddy
FWIW although I haven’t installed yet, I used United diesel in the uk and couldn’t be happier with the smooth transaction and customer service. I got pd units though so I can’t speak to their price for ve nozzles.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Mark at DFIS Portland, will assemble and calibrate almost any combination of nozzles and injector bodies. Two years ago, he charged $37.00 per injector. He did mine almost 5 years ago, and the injector balance is still as good as it was then.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I don't know how they beat out the VAT, but that is the usual problem with the UK and Germany.. they charge outrageous 20% VAT taxes, and then if your order enough(usually over $1500USD) you get nailed with additional US duties.

The business on the PD nozzles is a footnote about injectors in general. We just delivered a rebuilt PD cylinder head and before we had any involvement in the project, the customer got talked into 1043 nozzles from another vendor. He's blowing big smoke...not what he wanted. So, my point was to try what you have before making a big investment that tanks your fuel economy. Again, if that is pandering, it's reverse pandering... talking someone OUT of a sale...

If you put in good nozzles and get poor installation service, we do repair what the other's may have done incorrectly. It would be far from the first time. Sometimes we can fix them; sometimes we can't. But we called on to do that on a regular basis.

But to give my opinion seem to hit some people's hot button... It makes them post goofy pictures. You can have the Gibonta (Alias HiFloX), which we have seen before. I am no fan... But each person is entitled to their own opinion. If your objective is 400+hp, which I would have to see the life-expectancy of THAT, then maybe those big fueling Gibonta's are exactly what you need. I'd rather build for life-expectancy.

I've dealt with Keith at United. I find him reliable for the PD's. It's the distance and price of shipping that hurts the deal.

But anyone with a VCDS can look and prove their injectors just like I do. Idle balance works not only at idle, but the second stage begins to operate when the idle is raised to around 1600rpm. Just below 1600, the idle balance numbers will continue to operate, but at that engine speed, the second stage is operating. Block 15 will show the fuel economy. Usually, .2-.4 mg/str is a good number at idle. At around 1550 rpm, the FE is between 1.8-2.4, depending on the version of injector. But idle balance and balance at 1550 rpm will often vary, sometimes too much. We prefer to maintain deviation below .5mg/str, and go for .2 deviation. those who have VCDS, check it out... It's what we depend on to do final calibration.

As for 'pandering'... jeez, you should see what we really do, not what you make up...

I am far from the only one who would rather work with their own injectors. 1) If I get 3 out of 4 nozzles that are good, what do you want to pay me for 3/4 of a set? NOTHING. 2) What does your vendor who sold the set say? They sure aren't going to take MY opinion for it. So, I open myself up to get screwed. If I get a bad nozzle, I take care of it here and you never see it.

But everyone is entitled work with whomever they like. I think I'm the only one who ever got the VCDS formula together to show people how to tell if they really got what they expected or why their fuel economy sucks or their pistons melted out.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Products for export from Europe are supposed to be exempted from VAT, but most times with most vendors we don't know if this is being followed unless explicitly shown as such on your purchase invoice. The US has a de minimis customs policy that allows imports worth $800 before being charged duty, and even this has shown wide latitude because many people have imported transmissions to whole engines without being dinged with duties.

So, for relatively small parts like injector nozzles, neither VAT nor US duties should be an issue. For higher value items, it may be strategically beneficial to split and spread orders over time or among multiple vendors, but that said, brokerage fees with some shippers have been a bigger issue than other costs (e.g. FedEx and UPS have charged me $40 for brokerage fees alone plus taxes/duties on shipments of any value to Canada before the recent rise of discounted shipping from the US offered by certain vendors ).

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
That's good to know, Meister. I've had several companies hammer me with fees after parts are delivered. I agree there is some latitude with Customs and duty, but I haven't been able to get anything directly out of Germany without paying VAT. I can't seem to do it. However, I do know that between the European countries, there is a resellers agreement that they don't charge each other VAT. I have worked that angle to my advantage.

As for duty, I have found it is at the discretion of the Customs officer. There is one purchase we got a great deal on the parts and the duty was based on the 'normal' price. It was a 3% dink, so not the end of the world.

When we were shipping nozzles to United, I asked Keith about the method of taxing. It's draconian. They have to charge every incoming part as if they bought it, then get a credit when the same part is returned. Charges are not at what you bought it for, but what the government thinks it's worth.

The VAT is a side note... The real message is that we have been demonstrating how to check nozzles for years. I don't think competitors particularly like it. We have fine-tuned the method.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Cuban, you need to learn to read the entire message, not just the parts that bolster your feelings. And this should not about 'feelings' it's about results.

Fahrvegnugen, I'm NOT the only one that does not want to set up an other companies nozzles... If I try to install someone else's nozzles, and they aren't able to be properly set, I can waste a lot of my time. No less, I have taken the challenge to do so and in given situations, I have succeeded. I name names. They are not isolated incidences. If you like, I'd set up those nozzles, as they happen to be one of the versions we find acceptable. What is more, if there happens to be a bad one, we stock them.

I generally do not find many Wuzetem rejects. But we actually did get a very strange reject from them. The ellipse was 180 degrees out of sync. I think that would be a very difficult error to find if you simply install the nozzle without pop testing. We thought it very odd that could even be possible, but we found 3 nozzles like that. Actually, we could have used them. Install them onto the 1, 2 or 4 nozzle and put the nipples facing backwards.. That would be a unique look. I don't think I will see many of those 'backward' nozzles.

Most recently, we received a set of Company 'X' injectors. Every single one was blowing large volumes from one or two holes and little or nothing from at least one injector hole from each nozzle. And before they came to us, the customer's desires were clear. 'Replace them'. We will not arbitrarily replace nozzles. I try to clean them and make sure there are no plugged orifices. If they can't be cleaned and I might add, I can't correct a injector hole that is wildly blowing excess fuel, what choice do I have but to condemn them?

We are replacing that nozzle set. I'm sure that our customer will approve of them. After driving them in our own vehicle, we know exactly what they will do.

Having been accused of pandering, I have a strange way of doing so. Customers send their inferior product to me and I send it back working. You need find a better definition for that. I think a better word is, 'Satisfaction'.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oh I understand my friend. Just clarifying I wasn’t bashing in the least.

As for darkside it’s really not that much to send them over seas and have them do the mount and testing. I made a mistake and used USPS which cost way too much. I recommend using DHL if possible. That’s who darkside uses. They are super fast.

I bought the nozzles and did mounting directly thru them. I have used darkside a lot for my golf.
I've used darkside a lot for everything. Sometimes, it's frustrating having a lack of instruction PDFs for certain things, but everything I've figured out on my own eventually.

I especially like the prices that darkside has, and I honestly don't think they'd sell junk (like the Chinese-made/British-assembled Mellett VNT17 I put on my ALH recently).

I'd need to figure out what DHL costs, or figure out if I can do FedEx International Economy. I bought a mk4 Westfalia hitch from someone on this group, and FedEx Economy went out on a Friday and got to me on a Monday!

And no worries about bashing. I'd never do business with either Kerma or DBW.

I don't know how they beat out the VAT, but that is the usual problem with the UK and Germany.. they charge outrageous 20% VAT taxes, and then if your order enough(usually over $1500USD) you get nailed with additional US duties.

The business on the PD nozzles is a footnote about injectors in general. We just delivered a rebuilt PD cylinder head and before we had any involvement in the project, the customer got talked into 1043 nozzles from another vendor. He's blowing big smoke...not what he wanted. So, my point was to try what you have before making a big investment that tanks your fuel economy. Again, if that is pandering, it's reverse pandering... talking someone OUT of a sale...
I would reply to the other stuff you wrote, but I confess, I've had too much red wine with a steak dinner (steak from one of my own bulls I had butchered, no less).

I already know about your high quality work, since I'm using YOUR cam and you rebuilt the head in my BEW (subletted to you via alphaseinor).

That being said, my goal on the ALH at this point is a Stage 4 tune. If I can get 150HP out of my ALH, I'm happy. I'm not looking for it to compete with my CJAA. Hell, if it made 120HP, I'd be fine. I figure since I have the upgraded SMIC, VNT17, and the 11mm pump (and plan on doing a 5 speed swap, because we all know that 01M is an awful piece of s#!t), I might as well upgrade the nozzles and have some fun with it.

Products for export from Europe are supposed to be exempted from VAT, but most times with most vendors we don't know if this is being followed unless explicitly shown as such on your purchase invoice. The US has a de minimis customs policy that allows imports worth $800 before being charged duty, and even this has shown wide latitude because many people have imported transmissions to whole engines without being dinged with duties.

So, for relatively small parts like injector nozzles, neither VAT nor US duties should be an issue. For higher value items, it may be strategically beneficial to split and spread orders over time or among multiple vendors, but that said, brokerage fees with some shippers have been a bigger issue than other costs (e.g. FedEx and UPS have charged me $40 for brokerage fees alone plus taxes/duties on shipments of any value to Canada before the recent rise of discounted shipping from the US offered by certain vendors ).
Thanks for chiming in, and very interesting! I didn't know it was $800. Usually when I order from Darkside, my max order value is around $1100, so not that far over $800. I think I've only ever had to pay duties on anything maybe twice, and that was for an ebay purchase of far less than $800.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I have used Royal Mail for my past purchases, low cost and have not incurred any extra charges, small purchases though

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Paul,

I appreciate what business you have sent my way. I think we have made a lot of people happy with our services. We are the 'Ma and Pa' shop. Personal service to all. Pandering to just one...

With all you've put into that car of yours, it could easily be above 175hp, if everything is set correctly and with an a appropriate tune.

Btw: Performance and economy are not exactly mutually exclusive. You can get both, just not at the same time. We have made several 200+hp vehicles that can cruise getting 50+ mpg.

Better check out where those HiFloX come from... The Firad, I can tell you. The Bosio even, well at least recently, I can tell you. Wuzetem, I know. I can't seem to find where the Gibonta's come from.