1.9L TDI Intake Manifold Flow Testing / Comparison

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Ever wondered how some of the common 1.9L TDI take manifolds compare in flow? What about (un)even flow across 4 ports for each manifold?

Some of them were finally put on a flow bench:

I would embed this interactive flow chart (the results) in this post if I could, but it will not function in this forum:

You can access the chart on this page: https://malonetuning.com/manifold-intake-1-9l-tdi

The BRM intake manifold is a good upgrade option for ALHs, BEWs, and similar, and it's available (usually at a good price) at autowreckers in the backyard of North Americans!

If anyone else has done flow tests, then please share in this thread! Love to see more data. Ideally multiple manifolds should be compared using the same testing machine during the same session.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
thanks for posting... i have a BRM intake on my 05 golf and my tdi tacoma, noticed an immediate improvement on the truck in both response and smoke level over the alh manifold

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
That's fantastic data, many thanks. I didn't realise there was an oem upgrade above a 'PD150' style manifold
Is there a left hand and a right hand version of them all? My PD150 item is handed the other way for use with the longitudinal Passat B5 engine (taken from a B5.5 PD130 Passat) - you'll tell me now there's no opposite version of the BRM intake :(

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Wish I had seen that 2 weeks ago lol. still I'll be fine with my 150.

On a side note, prices of PD150 suddenly drop. BRM manifolds suddenly drop in price... ;)

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Interesting data, thanks for sharing.
I just got an ibiza cupra 1.9tdi 160hp , i will be porting the manifold for a better flow.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Nice data can you flow test a dual chamber intake ore from 1y 1.9 d and mk4 sdi the long 2 piece intake

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
The BRM intake manifold is a good upgrade option for ALHs, BEWs, and similar, and it's available (usually at a good price) at autowreckers in the backyard of North Americans!
That is not a straightforward swap though, is it? Don't they bolt up differently (at least ALH does)?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
The chart is now updated with Cylinder Head flow data added!

Here's the link to the full chart again: https://malonetuning.com/manifold-intake-1-9l-tdi

An intake manifold's flow theoretically cannot exceed the cylinder head flow. We can see here that there is not a lot of room for improvement over the BRM intake manifold.

We were considering making a fully custom intake manifold, but after seeing how well the BRM intake manifold performs, we figured that it's more economical to just make BRM intake manifold adapters instead. Most people will find this sufficient vs. spending time welding or spending $300+ on a custom intake manifold with unproven (so far) results.

It would be interesting to see if someone wants to perform flow testing with a ported cylinder head. Find out if a custom intake manifold will outflow a BRM intake manifold (and with even distribution across 4 ports) by a worthwhile margin. We don't have time to go that far in testing yet, busy with projects at the moment.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Very cool testing. Since I don't follow the power enhancement threads often, I'll hope my question is reasonable: Do we know what impact ALH (or other) owners will see if they swap OE manifolds for BRM, all else being equal?

TDI
None yet
I’ve never put my hands on a BRM intake. That being said, how much meat can be taken off before it structurally can’t take boost pressure from the turbo? Any one had their head extrude honed? If so, could the intake manifold go through the same process to have an end result be port matched with intake manifold runner and head intake running both being the same size throughout? Then the only limiting factor would be the ID of the intake piping from the inter cooler to intake manifold and from the turbo to the inter cooler.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Methinks there will now be a run on BRM manifolds lol. What about BHW?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
If anyone can lend BHW and at least 2 fancy looking aftermarket intake manifolds (log style etc.), then I can see about setting up another flow session, in the same machine. Will also flow BRM again to ensure consistency with previous testing. I can return the manifolds to their respective owners (preferably 1 owner) after the testing is complete, as long as I am not rushed. I do not want to be under pressure for providing free information here, we still have other projects to work on.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
This is actually very interesting scientific data. Never did understand why VW insists on all its older TDI manifolds to have a strange unequal length design. A little more effort and it could have been perfected.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
There are 2 styles of OEM SDI manifolds and gasser long runner manifolds that have been adapted for the TDI that would be interesting data points in this comparison as well.

Theguy1084

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If anyone can lend BHW and at least 2 fancy looking aftermarket intake manifolds (log style etc.), then I can see about setting up another flow session, in the same machine. Will also flow BRM again to ensure consistency with previous testing. I can return the manifolds to their respective owners (preferably 1 owner) after the testing is complete, as long as I am not rushed. I do not want to be under pressure for providing free information here, we still have other projects to work on.
I just bought a ported head from Darkside. I’d like to see what the manifolds flow on it.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Great option for the ALH!

I will be happy to get a BRM, BHW or maybe the long runner ABA manifold (if it will fit over the IP and injector hard lines) and let you experiment on the Beetle between camping trips.

Always looking for ways to cool things down especially when pulling the trailer.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Before we all get too excited, understand that a flowbench does not represent the flow behaviour of an engine exactly. A flow bench draws air through the open intake valve on one cylinder at a time under steady-state conditions. An engine draws air thousands of times a minute according to the firing order, all the while the valves are opening at different rates and piston vacuum is not a constant 28" of water - plus the intake is under varying levels of boost. So the whole thing is anything but steady state.

Nevertheless, flowbench results ARE useful to draw trends and make relative comparisons, but you cannot (at least should not) make absolute conclusions of the numbers.

A visual and intuitive comparison makes it easy to figure out that the ALH manifold design and resulting flow results are quite horrible, and the flowbench trends bear this out, but much harder to spot are how the ARL, BEW and BRM ones stack up to one another, and then to other manifolds like SDI, gasser, D24 and aftermarket ones.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
FYI for anyone wanting to run a BRM intake on their BEW: if you also purchase the BRM egr section, the BEW ASV will bolt directly to this, bolt pattern, length, and clocking are perfect for the BEW. You could leave the EGR valve in place but i removed mine, cut off the egr related bits and welded up the holes for a clean look. Using the BRM intake this way on a BEW allows you to retain the stock ASV and upper intercooler hose with clip fitting.... i suppose you could do the same for an ALH if you didn't mind a non-functional BEW or BRM ASV sitting there ;)

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
FYI for anyone wanting to run a BRM intake on their BEW: if you also purchase the BRM egr section, the BEW ASV will bolt directly to this, bolt pattern, length, and clocking are perfect for the BEW. You could leave the EGR valve in place but i removed mine, cut off the egr related bits and welded up the holes for a clean look. Using the BRM intake this way on a BEW allows you to retain the stock ASV and upper intercooler hose with clip fitting.... i suppose you could do the same for an ALH if you didn't mind a non-functional BEW or BRM ASV sitting there ;)
I am thinking of doing this except using Malone's adapter that replaces the EGR.

https://malonetuning.com/store/item/adapter-for-installing-a-brm-intake-manifold-in-a-bew-and-similar-vehicle