What did you do to your MKIV today?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Just took the girlfriend's 07 beetle in for service because the right we're tired has a flat spot. This is the 2nd mission we had on 2 different cars that developed a flat spot. Sir service says not likely a defbut I think michelin is famous for denying warranties. Anyways, the shop insists The rear tirears can be aligned on these cars, I thought it was a fixed beam suspension

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just took the girlfriend's 07 beetle in for service because the right we're tired has a flat spot. This is the 2nd mission we had on 2 different cars that developed a flat spot. Sir service says not likely a defbut I think michelin is famous for denying warranties. Anyways, the shop insists The rear tirears can be aligned on these cars, I thought it was a fixed beam suspension
An alignment expert can adjust the rear alignment with shims, if the wheels are leaning in at the top (negative camber) and the tires are wearing on the inner edges. I was lucky enough to find an alignment expert but they can be hard to track down.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
An alignment expert can adjust the rear alignment with shims, if the wheels are leaning in at the top (negative camber) and the tires are wearing on the inner edges. I was lucky enough to find an alignment expert but they can be hard to track down.
True, but it can't be shimmed very much, because the caliper isn't shimmed along with the hub, so the rotor can get too far out of alignment with the caliper.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
True, but it can't be shimmed very much, because the caliper isn't shimmed along with the hub, so the rotor can get too far out of alignment with the caliper.
i've never done this, but i guess you could also add some shimming washers to those too.... (at least camber i meant) just another reason why <mk4 are the best ;)

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Not camber so much as total toe/thrust angle, but I do try to shift the mounts on rear axle beam cars to point them straight. But there is only so much you can (or should) do before just replacing the damaged axle.

Jason

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
View attachment 130727
Just got a nice before and after on a mk4 tdi starter.

Can confirm! I send Seth the thing on the left; I receive in return the one on the right (with legitimate / honest "Wow - it's like the car doesn't even crank before it fires now!" reactions when people try their new starter.) 👍

Pancake Slap

TDI
2005 5spd Jetta Wagon TDI
Well it's been a minute since I've posted so I guess it's my time to share. Did a bunch to the wagon recently. Dropped in a new radio and speakers all around, took care of some trim pieces in the car, replaced a cv axle, wired the hatch to act like a 5th door, and decided to bed liner the entire thing. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm happy to have a car that's one solid color.

After battling with the ccm I figured it would be easier to just hardwire the hatch in than to source a new ccm for my wagon. Hope you guys and gals like the results!

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Well it's been a minute since I've posted so I guess it's my time to share. Did a bunch to the wagon recently. Dropped in a new radio and speakers all around, took care of some trim pieces in the car, replaced a cv axle, wired the hatch to act like a 5th door, and decided to bed liner the entire thing. It may not be to everyone's taste, but I'm happy to have a car that's one solid color.

After battling with the ccm I figured it would be easier to just hardwire the hatch in than to source a new ccm for my wagon. Hope you guys and gals like the results!
I like it! I think boxliner is a cool look

Pancake Slap

TDI
I like it! I think boxliner is a cool look
Thanks! I really loved the wagon for not having perfect paint. While I wanted it to look better, I still wanted to be able to park it up front at stores and not care about things like door dings.

I took it to Import Alliance and it got some looks, but alas it didn't have a big wing or anime stickers so it didn't draw a crowd.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Thanks! I really loved the wagon for not having perfect paint. While I wanted it to look better, I still wanted to be able to park it up front at stores and not care about things like door dings.
That is a real advantage! I love my old Chevy for that reason, body is so rough you don’t have to worry about using it like a truck lol.

but alas it didn't have a big wing or anime stickers so it didn't draw a crowd.
Haha I don’t get all the hype over that stuff. Kids these days... lol

Pancake Slap

TDI
I mean I can appreciate the effort, but I just prefer clean builds. I always think about one of Jay Leno's cars where he said sometimes stock is best.

However, I literally just got out of the tag office because I bought myself another RX-8. It's pretty much the polar opposite of a tdi.

At work my wagon has a little following, been trying to convince people to join the club!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)

I like the liner, it looks good. There is a tan lined wagon here on the forums that looks super mint as well. Now the car will truly last forever lol.

Pancake Slap

TDI
I like the liner, it looks good. There is a tan lined wagon here on the forums that looks super mint as well. Now the car will truly last forever lol.
I know the one you're talking about. That dude went all out on his. My goal for the wagon is keep it on a budget. Even with the purchase price of the car I'm just under 4k total with everything done for a car I've driven from east to west coast.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I do not have the before-and-after alignment specs on the white Jetta wagon I sold last summer. But the notes in my spreadsheet say that the rear calipers and hubs were both shimmed.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
Replaced my entire suspension system yesterday. WAY harder than it was supposed to be. Had to cut out the bolt on one of the control arms. Went with OE springs, Koni Special Active shocks/struts, Audi TT style LCA, new steering knuckles, tie rod ends, and all associated hardware/mounts.

Since I bought the car 6 years ago it's always ridden fine, but now I see what I've been missing. Hoping it will settle in and soften a tad over the next few weeks but overall it's almost like a new car.

Side note: I don't recommend the Metalnerd 21/22mm strut wrench that is torque wrench compatible. Waste of $50

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Side note: I don't recommend the Metalnerd 21/22mm strut wrench that is torque wrench compatible. Waste of $50
We're talking this thing?

Respectfully, I will counter that and say that for suspension work and knowing you're getting the proper 60Nm on those strut nuts....can't be beat. Never had an issue using it with a 3" extension on a ratchet while turning this on both the flat strut-mount nut and the taller strut cup nut.

As with every Metalnerd tool in my toolbox, it does what it says on the tin, does it well, and lasts.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Sure, the Metalnerd tool does what it does perfectly well, but I also think it's too pricey for its specialty when you can also easily use tools you already have--EXCEPT DON'T USE THE IMPACT! 60 nm is like 45 ft lbs, so nothing huge. My experience with both those strut nuts is they basically spin until they don't, rather than slowly building up torque like say the lower pinch bolt in the steering knuckle.

If it were priced at say $25, it'd be a complete no brainer, though.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
Sure, the Metalnerd tool does what it does perfectly well, but I also think it's too pricey for its specialty when you can also easily use tools you already have--EXCEPT DON'T USE THE IMPACT! 60 nm is like 45 ft lbs, so nothing huge. My experience with both those strut nuts is they basically spin until they don't, rather than slowly building up torque like say the lower pinch bolt in the steering knuckle.

If it were priced at say $25, it'd be a complete no brainer, though.
Agreed. I think I could have spent far less on one of those cutaway sockets. Using a torque wrench with the metalnerd was very awkward because it requires a 90º angle. And yeah, those strut bolts definitely spin until they don't. I got the work done so i guess it doesn't really matter now

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Cursed at the wagon. I'm convinced now that Stella (wagon) saw Gertrude (2dr Golf) show up and now Stella is mad and causing me grief. I'm chasing hot rear brake rotors. Only thing left is calipers to change out!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Cursed at the wagon. I'm convinced now that Stella (wagon) saw Gertrude (2dr Golf) show up and now Stella is mad and causing me grief. I'm chasing hot rear brake rotors. Only thing left is calipers to change out!

Jealousy is an evil mistress…🤣🤣

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
We're talking this thing?

Respectfully, I will counter that and say that for suspension work and knowing you're getting the proper 60Nm on those strut nuts....can't be beat. Never had an issue using it with a 3" extension on a ratchet while turning this on both the flat strut-mount nut and the taller strut cup nut.

As with every Metalnerd tool in my toolbox, it does what it says on the tin, does it well, and lasts.
Respectfully I counter that and say air impact takes them off way faster😄.
Though to be completely honest i never knew there was a tool out there for this. I always just esed an allen key socket with external hex for grip and a channel lock on the allen key to turn it if it was stuck to much. Only ever had one that the impact wouldn't get off.
Impact off impact on.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Respectfully I counter that and say air impact takes them off way faster😄.
Though to be completely honest i never knew there was a tool out there for this. I always just esed an allen key socket with external hex for grip and a channel lock on the allen key to turn it if it was stuck to much. Only ever had one that the impact wouldn't get off.
Impact off impact on.
Removal? Hell yes an impact is quick and easy. But if you use that to install the first nut, you risk cracking the strut bearing under the hat (you won’t see it). And if you use an impact on the top nut, you can spin the shaft and loosen the first nut.