Economy Tips

valois

Banned
1. Use lowest weight viscosity synthetic oil possible for your region.
2. Maintain 40 PSI tire pressure if your tire allows it, check pressure religiously.
3. Drive 3 feet behind any semi going in your direction to reduce wind resistance.
4. Eliminate excessive or unneccesary loads. Refuse to carry your your mother in law anywhere. Do not carry anyone over 110 lbs in the car, remove the rear seat.
5. Never fill the gas tank, fuel is heavy.
Anyone have other suggestions?

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Item 3
It is dangerous to tail-gate, especially a big truck who can not see you in his/her mirrors.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
6) Lower the car as much as possible.
7) Only drive on billiard table smooth roads with no debris that might cause problems to your lowered car.
8) Always drive downhill.
9) If you can't drive downhill all the time, raise the rear end so that you think you are.
10) (and this one is for-real) Keep the car well maintained. I.e. change fluids and filters on time, repair problems as soon as they occur so that they do not exacerbate the situation.
11) (for-real also) Drive conservatively. Don't go too fast, don't try to get there (cruise speed) too fast.
12) (FR) Don't try to lead into the wind. By paying attention to the wind direction, you can ride in the downstream turbulence 'plume' of other vehicles on the road when the wind is from any forward direction.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Just wishing for the deep part right now!!!

valois

Banned
Howard Z if you follow the big rigs close enough the unburned fuel from their exhusts will be sucked into your new intake system and will serve a threefold purpose. First, you will benefit from increased economy, secondly you will be recycling the emmissions and improve air quality, and finally you benefit from the reduced wind resistance. As for safety VW should have anticipated this and installed a tractor beam on the NB.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Received an increase of about 2 MPG in my 2000 A-4 Jetta by simply installing an Engine Block / Oil Pan Heater.

Guestimate that it only costs about 7 or 8 cents a day and this is quickly offset by a 50% - 60% reduction in warm-up time and increase in fuel mileage.

Haven't even mentioned wear and tear on the engine yet,
but it doesn't take SkyPup or Mickey's expertise to tell us that warm oil will flow much better during a cold-start than when cold!

The block heater starts up at 3:30am to 4:00am in the morning thanks to a $10.00 timer from Walmart. After 2 hours, the oil and engine are nice and warm!

Want "near" instant heat on a subzero morning? This is about the only way to go.

Price for the part is $130.64 USD (wholesale). If you live in Canada or just want to purchase two of them, you can combine them together to form a wonderfully efficient unit.

Block / oil pan heater easily mounts on the bottom of the oil pan (near transaxle bell-housing) and uses the 4 OEM oil pan bolts (2 on each side) to hold it in place. Plug outlet can then be carefully routed to the front of the car where you want it.

BTW: The block heater for the new TDI's is only available through Canadian Dealers.

Southgate Volkswagen Audi Inc, Canada
Telephone: (780)435-4821
VW Part #ZVP 289 107
Price: $130.64 USD

POC: Joe Angerstein - MIMS

jochena@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

sgvw@comcept.ab.ca

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 05, 2000).]

valois

Banned
Ric,
Given that you live in Florida I wouldn't expect to see much improvement between two oils having the viscosity of a 5 weight and a 15 weight except maybe the first time you cranked your vehicle on a chilly (40 F.?)morning. The 5 weight will of course flow easier and result in an easier start. I see that both oils that you have used are synthetic. I believe that the greatest economic benefits would be achieved by using a synthetic oil over a conventional, and that some benefits would be obtained by using the appropriate viscosity recommended for the extemes in temperature in the area the vehicle is normally used. Given the same changeover of someone, say living in Quebec, changing from a 15 weight to 5 weight oil would have a measurable effect on milage. I moved to the "belle province" on Dec 21st one year from South Louisiana. My milage on all three vehicles went to hell until their scheduled oil changes. I must admit that the effects were probably accentuated by the fact that I was using a 30 weight previously. Sorry about the long post, I didn't mean to write a Biography, but you seem to put a lot of stock on personal experience and I agree with that attitude, lets leave the theory and speculation to the scientists. Once they determine the facts they'll fill us in and we can try it and make our own judgement if they got it right.

------------------
72 412,
72,77,82,85 campers
68 bug, 89 and 91 foxes
71, and 72 914's
98 jetta TDI

[This message has been edited by valois (edited February 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by valois (edited February 06, 2000).]

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Steve,

I think you should post this to at least ten other threads. That way you can completely annoy everyone.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
valois: Using "the lowest possible synthetic oil for your region" is not a factor at all (IMHO). I switched from Long Rider 15W-40 synthetic to AMSOIL 5W-30, and observed virtually NO increase in MPG.

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Braumeister von Sehr Guter Bier
Since the Last Millenium

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
Never stop. Every time you are forced to brake, that is energy just thrown away. Look far ahead and project what is happening. Use the clutch to coast/reduce speed when you have room. In the city, time the lights.

Inertia/momentum is a wonderful thing.

S

SkyPup

If your 200 lb mother-in-law is riding in the back seat, throw her out to save weight and get better mileage. Or if you must keep her inside for some odd reason, at least use her charge card for all fill-ups.

M

mickey

Pardon me, but what exactly did Steve say this time that's so annoying?

-mickey

p.s. 13) Install an air dam below the front bumper. It'll reduce drag by forcing air around the sides of the car rather than allowing it to get tangled up under the car. It seems counterintuitive that a big flat "cowcatcher" on the front of the car could improve aerodynamic efficiency, but it's true. (The factory doesn't do that because a low air dam will get destroyed by curbs and speed bumps. But if economy is all you're after, and you don't mind the look of duct tape, go for it!)

-mickey

valois

Banned
Mickey I agree that an air dam would aid in fuel economy.
I would add, 14) Never roll your window or leave it down while moving.
TurboSteve I've been seeing several negative comments in other posts and think that you have been handling yourself with a lot of CLASS by not taking the bait, it shows good sense on your part.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
VW Derf, Powder Hound, and Mickey:

Isn't this the efficient "TDI Fuel Economy" section?

Maybe I'm blind,
but I haven't found too much that is economical or efficient about this good topic that has suddenly SOURED!

There is nothing economical / efficient about all this hot air.

Perhaps we should consider starting over again or maybe suggest that one of you (in authority) could play the role of an intercooler and reduce the temperature of these hot gasses, in order to maintain Forum efficiency!

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 07, 2000).]

valois

Banned
Seat posted that his computer indicated zero when he was decelerating in gear, so disengage the clutch just before the engine lugs.
* Don't drive in the frigid temperatures, economy goes down and the fuel sucks.
* Use a decent fuel additive.
* Do not let your spouse drive the car! They will not drive like you and probably not care about breaking the 50mpg barrier.
* Remove the belt to the power steering pump.(Unless you are over 75 and suffer from shoulder problems)

* Never use the air conditioner.
* Obtain a disablility tag.(You can park closer to the store and use less gas.

* Garage the car. ( keep it at 60 degrees min)
Come on fellows you can come up with some more!

------------------
White armband, with chrome accents.

Bob Norris

Veteran Member
Well, hint #4 is easy for me- I'm only 100 pounds so I guess I can use the remaining allowance of 10 pounds to deliver pizzas or something

Bob Norris
98 Jetta TDI (black)

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Who was the fellow who turned in his mirrors, took off his wiper blades, pumped up tires to over sidewall recommendation, etc, in an economy run? I think he drove a Passat. Was it Tazzman?