How To: A4 Power Steering Fluid Flush Procedure

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i got to it, dont happen to have fluid-swapping-machines myself. made a small mess, but got the fluid changed. it was the original fluid, was dirty, put clean fluid in turned pump to flush thru, had my help turn the wheel at the same time. in the end worked out well. for now.
steering wheel turns like its skating on ice. its new fluid, but also quite more advanced so it flows 'thinner' if you will, among other things.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I did the PS flush yesterday with the engine off and wheels hanging, but there were bubbles coming out of the return line almost all the time, went through 1.5L of fluid. Is that normal or there might be something wrong here? I have no leaks anywhere.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm sure you're fine. Even if you introduced a bunch of air, it will quickly self correct. Just check the fluid frequently for a drive or 3.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I did the PS flush yesterday with the engine off and wheels hanging, but there were bubbles coming out of the return line almost all the time, went through 1.5L of fluid. Is that normal or there might be something wrong here? I have no leaks anywhere.
Was this the '02? Which fluid did you use? Some say the Pentosin CHF202, or the CHF11S ? Or did you use something different?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I ended up using Pentosin CH11S to do the flush after I changed the pressure line. I ended up going to Home Depot and getting a brass 3/8 hose splicer(in plumbing section). I had some clear 3/8" line to run to my drain pan.

Trailbum

TDI
2004 Jetta
Just used this method for flushing the steering system on my '04 Jetta and it worked like a champ!!
First time it's been flushed with 423K on the clock and the original fluid looked very dirty.... I used the CHF 11S fluid and knew I was done when I was getting transparent green fluid out of the system.