Heater Core Replacement

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I've got a '00 Golf TDI and I think I may need to replace the heater core.

I can smell every once in a while a coolant smell coming out of the heating vents with the heat on. I have looked at the resevoir and all the hoses and can't find a leak. Water pump looks to be fine also - just had a TB/water pump job about 4,000 miles ago.

Anyone replaced a heater core before?? Any tips?

Thanks.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
On our old '91 I had to remove the dash - this job is a major PITA!!
Are your windows fogging up? As well your carpet going up along the inside of the firewall will be damp/wet.
In addition you need to discharge your AC during the procedure.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
In addition you need to discharge your AC during the procedure.
You certainly don't on an A2 or a B4 and I doubt you have to on a A4.The job is a PITA.
When they build a new VW the first thing down the line is the heater core.

SCCAFV17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 99, Silver
I'm in the same boat with my NB. The Bentley manual is absolutely useless as far as step-by-step instructions, hints, or other help. If no else has any experience, I'll try to figure out what does or doesn't actually have to come out & post some hints. Of course, I've got to get the parts first

Eric

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Pheeeewwwww!!

Turns out I don't have to get into this one. I thought I smelled coolant in the car. Turns out it was just a little washer fluid getting down into a cabin filter I haven't replaced for almost 5 years!! I replaced it the other day.

I'm relieved because I didn't want to take apart the whole dash to get to it. And, of course I didn't want to get raped by a stealership to charge $$$$$$$ to fix it.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
I'm glad it was a simple fix for you. Do do you think a dealer would have diagnosed the problem? I could just see their parts list for the job: a heater core and a cabin air filter. Now that would be an expensive cabin filter replacement!

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Yeah, I'm sure the parts list would have looked like that. Probably would have ended up replacing the injection pump too...or some crap like that.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

I'm glad that the pollen filter was the issue.
Whats I've seen here in Maine with all of this heavy ice build-up is washer/de-icer fluid dripping down onto the pollen filter...the element becomes saturated...and starts to smell