IQ adjustments

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Recently I spoke with a vendor about ordering up some nozzles. Not sure if I should say whom just yet.

They were pushing hard for me to send in injectors instead of going to DFIS, saying "they won't build them to Bosch spec and you'll burn the nozzles up within a year."

They also said that they'll help adjust the IQ and you don't need the triangle socket to achieve it, just VCDS.

Is there some truth to that? I had DFIS build two sets of Bosio DLC520's and have had no complaints so far in either car. I also spoke with Oldpoopie and he said you should always leave your IQ adaption in VCDS as factory, and try to get your IQ set where you want via hammer mod. Vendor claimed otherwise. Just trying to get some clarification as burning nozzles and solely adjusting IQ via VCDS are both new to me, along with contdradictive with what I've read here.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
adjusting the IQ should be done with the hammer mod rather than electronically since it's a mechanical setting rather than computer offset. DFIS does good work.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
X2 - never had a problem with them ?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have used Mark at DFIS for an IP, and also to set up new nozzles. DFIS's work is not questionable: in fact he will mount most second party nozzles and balance the injectors.
You "sort of" don't need a triangle socket because there is IQ adjustment in VCDS; what if you don't have VCDS? Generally speaking, if larger nozzles are installed the factory IQ numbers will usually go down: this is representative of more fuel per stroke. You will not burn up a set of nozzles strictly because they were not installed at a "certain" shop. Old Poopie has been around the block a few times and is well versed in TDI's. There are many different ideas about IQ'ing new nozzles, and one theory is to read the IQ and voltage on your stock setup (factory knows best) and then after installing new nozzles using a combination of "hammer Mod" and VCDS get the pump voltage back as close to the stock setting as possible. The lower the pump voltage is at idle, the more fuel is available at WOT, or at least that is what most people believe. There are non-chinesium nozzles available made in Europe that are not Bosch and are not junk either. Mark charged me $38.00 each to setup the .216 nozzles I currently have, these I purchased elsewhere than DFIS and still have no complaints.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
See and that's what I thought... Wonder why said vendor is going around spreading false info.. Or maybe just trying to sales pitch me. Thanks for the clarification everyone.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
See and that's what I thought... Wonder why said vendor is going around spreading false info.. Or maybe just trying to sales pitch me. Thanks for the clarification everyone.
I bet I can guess the vendor...

There was a time I was afraid of the hammer mod and tried vcds to make changes to fuel...that's stupid...hammer mod is easy but I've had to replace a few seals but just a small price to pay to get it done right.

I am curious about the voltage thing though...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I've been through 3 different sets of nozzles in the 2 1/2 years I've owned my car. Each iteration of tune, turbo and hardware changes
has meant adjustments both with VCDS and the hammer mod.

My local diesel shop sets them up for $120 set, 220/300 bar. Last set of Wuzetem .230s I asked them to err on the high side, with good effect.
Touch oversize even with my 17/22, adding a PD150 intake & EGR delete shifted the IQ 5-6 points. I HAD to hammer mod to get them into a reasonable range, currently running at 7.8 for no smoke, and even now I can spike the turbo if I don't "roll" into it.

I need the fuel map altered, but wow, heaps of power, and yes, 35mpg around town.
I just wish I could play with the turbo as easily as I can adjust fuel.

There's a bigger turbo down the track, {:eek:).
GTB2056Vk with a billet wheel is on the radar;
https://gottuned.com/product/gtb2056vk-billet-wheel-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

Get the triangle socket, it's worth every penny of the $15 or so it costs.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have the triangle socket, I event mentioned it to said vendor. They said it wasn't needed at all when installing replacement injectors to adjust the IQ. Dunno. Pays to do your homework before listening to vendors :)

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I don't think that information is necessarily false. If someone can design a nozzle and set an injector to be close to original spec. then the fuel pump should not have to be modded.

I haven't seen anyone on this forum do it this way, but hypothetically it should be possible.

Should also be possible to load a new MAP (tune) and not have to hammer-mod.

that said - I have non-stock nozzles and I did hammer-mod to get my car set up to run well. as I recall I also moved the setting a bit with VCDS but that has limited range for offset.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
If you do the hammer mode you might be ordering new seals (like I had to). My car was completely out of spec though so it had to be done.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had hammer modded my IP once before when I did a manual swap and installing .205's at the same time. After the installation of the 1019's my IQ changed from 4.2 to 4.6. Going to leave it alone until I do my turbo and other stuff.