Shocks/Struts recommendations and help

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
My Jetta has 189K on her. I'm going to replace Shocks/Struts. My main goal is comfort. If I can get some performance without sacrificing comfort that would good too. Any recommendations? I'm keeping stock height and 15" tires

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My Jetta has 189K on her. I'm going to replace Shocks/Struts. My main goal is comfort. If I can get some performance without sacrificing comfort that would good too. Any recommendations? I'm keeping stock height and 15" tires

Rock Auto (can’t beat price)
Bilstein
They have them for standard suspension & sport suspension which I think is a little firmer
Don’t forget to use rock auto coupon 5% discount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are really after a stock type of function, I would just go with Sachs as it will be just like the originals.

Any of the Bilsteins will be firmer, although they will fit perfectly and last a really long time.

Stay away from the quick strut "assemblies" as they are garbage.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
^^ exactly^^
A little firmer and sportier is the regular Bilstein. Otherwise you're getting away from your stated intent.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Check out Kerma's page...FSD's as just the dampers are not available. Did a short search a bit ago and IIRC, found Tire Rack saying they were NLA for the Mk4. Seems Kerma is using the remaining stock for the Shine kit...

Or are FSD available somewhere else?
cheers,
Douglas

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Check out Kerma's page...FSD's as just the dampers are not available. Did a short search a bit ago and IIRC, found Tire Rack saying they were NLA for the Mk4. Seems Kerma is using the remaining stock for the Shine kit...

Or are FSD available somewhere else?
cheers,
Douglas
Hi Douglas,

They have been replaced by the all new "Special ACTIVE" line. I would love a set of those down the road.

details here: https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/10734/koni-fsd-is-now-koni-special-active/

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey deathtrap( heh-heh-heh...), I am with you on the Special Active line as a likely choice. The FSD, when available was their TOTL option and now the Yellow are again occupying that spot. Not that I want to pay more, but the time to put them in is of value too, and like any of the long wear items, I will be living with it for quite some time. I think it comes down to getting what you want, as the psychological effect of that is a fine balm for discovered imperfections...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've had more dampers on my MKIVs than I can recall. Every Koni model, Bilstein TCs and HDs, and OE of course. Right now I have Koni Special (Reds) on my Wagon, and OE Sachs on my Golf. I like them both. I was reluctant to put the Sachs on my Golf, as I recalled the Wagon when new was pretty sloppy with those dampers. But the Golf drives and handles great. It had Koni Yellows on it and I simply found them too firm for that (light) car. I love the Reds on my Wagon, my favorite for that car. But it is heavier than the Golf, and that matters. I also have liked FSDs (Special Actives) in the past.

Although there are a lot of Bilstein fans here, I'm not one of them for MKIV cars. I find them harsh on small bumps and not any better than OE in more extreme driving. I hated the HDs on my Wagon. But it's really a matter of personal preference.

deathtrap

TDI
I've had more dampers on my MKIVs than I can recall. Every Koni model, Bilstein TCs and HDs, and OE of course. Right now I have Koni Special (Reds) on my Wagon, and OE Sachs on my Golf. I like them both. I was reluctant to put the Sachs on my Golf, as I recalled the Wagon when new was pretty sloppy with those dampers. But the Golf drives and handles great. It had Koni Yellows on it and I simply found them too firm for that (light) car. I love the Reds on my Wagon, my favorite for that car. But it is heavier than the Golf, and that matters. I also have liked FSDs (Special Actives) in the past.

Although there are a lot of Bilstein fans here, I'm not one of them for MKIV cars. I find them harsh on small bumps and not any better than OE in more extreme driving. I hated the HDs on my Wagon. But it's really a matter of personal preference.
I have TCs with GLI springs on my current MK4 sedan.
Quite the painful ride for a daily driver.

HDs with Neuspeed Sport springs on my MK2 is a different story though :cool:

oilhammer

TDI
One of my Gols has the Billy TC Sports and GTI springs, and yes it is pretty stiff, but it handles well, especially at high speeds, and I drive mostly at 80+.

Other Golf is getting the HDs, which are actually not as rigid over the small bumps as the TC Sports are.

The nicest thing to me is the Bilsteins last seemingly forever. I have them on several cars, and my F150, and they feel exactly the same as when I put them on.

But, the OP was after something simple, and more like OEM stock stuff, which is why I recommended the Sachs. Not all of us are enthusiasts. :p

I have also put some Worldpac house label stuff on cars I was selling, and they seem to be a nice less expensive alternative to the Sachs. They seem to fit and work fine, and so far on the ones I have seen later on, seem to be holding up OK. No idea who makes them.

deathtrap

TDI
The nicest thing to me is the Bilsteins last seemingly forever. I have them on several cars, and my F150, and they feel exactly the same as when I put them on.
God knows the accuracy on this. I have lost count on the age of my HDs but the rebound is still intact. Car even sat for a long time! I figure I'll probably just have them revalved to take a higher spring rate and clean them up by myself when it is time.

oilhammer

TDI
I have customers that have over 300k miles on their Billy suspension, still working perfectly.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
My $0.02, I have Bilstein TC Comfort with stock springs for the last 50k miles and they are too firm for me. They crash over small bumps/expansion joints. Car maybe only handles about 10% better than stock. I'm planning to redo them with KONI FSD, which look promising.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I tried the Bilstein B4's all around for a short time and found them awful. They felt stiffer but also bottomed out easily over what I thought were mild dips on the freeways out here in California. It was as if they were stiff for high frequency stuff but soft for low frequency motion. Swapped them all out for Sachs and am much happier now - no more bottoming out on freeway dips, and doesn't pound me to death on freeway washboard surfaces.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Sachs up front on my golf and tc in back. When I hit Bumps or pot holes at any kind of speed, it bottoms out the car and positively hammers the front suspension. It sounds like i’ll Break a hole in a strut tower sometimes. Skid plate keeps me going!

I’d get a towing lift kit if I become interested in a refresh, with tougher springs.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm leaning towards Koni Special active. I'm still considering Sachs though. I spend about 3 hours a day driving in my Jetta. So comfort is the most important to me. I am a spirited highway driver Usually 75 - 85. I have stock springs also.

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
I got moog beef springs and koni oranges for 500cad w/new hardware/bushings and now the car sits higher and has no body roll, well worth every penny.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
With stock springs, it's hard to beat bilstein HD'S for a good streetable setup. If that's within the budget of course. Currently, that's what I have, albeit with some neuspeed sport springs. Wouldn't recommend that combo. If using lowering springs, use the bilstein sports, not the HD'S. HD's arent meant to be used with lowering springs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Everyone talks about what they have, but as I posted earlier, opinions about ride and handling on street cars is largely subjective. Steven, Koni Special actives will ride a little firmer overall than stock, but will handle bumps, broken pavement, and dips better than Sachs. Sachs will ride better but sacrifice handling: more body roll, more squat on acceleration, more dive on braking. And they won't last as long as the Konis. But they cost less.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Look at them. If the coating is gone and they're rusted, I'd replace them. Otherwise springs last pretty well. Also compare left and right springs when out of the car to make sure an end hasn't broken off.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking I should replace the springs while I'm doing this. I like doing things right the first time. I've seen some good comments about Moog

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I've been very happy with my Koni Special Reds and Suplex springs.
Yes, firmer than stock, and maybe a little stiff around the streets of
this old town, some of the worst roads in PA. But hit the highway,
or take some of the country roads at speed, and they're just what
I need and appreciate.

My $.02.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Moog springs are made in China as are all the other products they market.
yeah I was thinking about the moog problem solver quick strut assemblies until I learned they were made in CHINAA! Now I'm thinking bilsteins and reusing the springs... oilhammer knows whats up so I'll go with what he says. :D

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’m very happy with the Koni reds on my Mk IV. Not so much with the Moog ‘VR6’ front springs. They were great at first but after a couple of years use they seem to have sagged and lost spring rate. Mind you they haven’t broken the ends off, which the originals did.

oilhammer

TDI
Moog has become mostly a packaging company, and what they package is usually Chinese junk. Especially for Volkswagens.

We can usually find TRW or similar springs in the aftermarket for stock applications at a reasonable price.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I have Koni Reds on my wagon, with stock springs. The ride is really smooth but still supportive.