2013 Golf TDI w/ poor acceleration under 2k RPM

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are a number of "traditional automatics" that are both electronically controlled and have a valve body.

The DSG is also operated by fluid pressure and solenoids (controlled by the computer).

The 01M 4 speed automatic transmission not only has a sport mode that can be turned on in VCDS, but it has a sport driving adjustment that is automatically calculated by the operator's driving style over time. This value ranges from 0 to 100 and can be viewed in VCDS. The 01M uses a valve body.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Steve,

You are correct that Bentley is not the Official VW service manual, but they used to be and I bought my copy when they were the 'house organ'. I used to have a DSG and so I studied up on them when they were new and interesting.

Are you aware that one of the reasons the TDIclub exists is to counter the mis-information that comes from the dealerships?

Bill

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
Alright, to weigh in on this one more time. I brought this up at the dealer on Friday when I had my 20k Service done. They adv that it is either A: Turbo Lag, or B: Fueling issues, or C: Transmission not downshifting properly. So, I had them go for a test drive with me. Was able to recreate it each time I tried... They were data logging as well real time. Found the issue to be the Mechtronics unit wasn't getting a signal to downshift properly, and being that signal wasn't going through, there wasn't enough fuel pressure and boost to compensate (rpms too low).

They my car was in for about 3 hrs after that. They finally found from VW that an update (not slated for my vin, but for vins before my cars build date) for the trans and ecu needed to be done.

Needless to say. It is so much better. I get slightly better fuel economy (not sure if this is just due to new oil, fuel and oil filters), or if it is the reflash of the ecu and tcm. I no longer have the 3-5 seconds of puttering along till sufficient boost and fuel pressures are made. The trans is more responsive. And I verified with their lead tech, that if the mechtronics unit isn't getting the signal to shift, then it won't, it isn't like the "traditional autos" where if you cut off most electronics it will still run off of line pressures and valve bodies alone. (GM's 4L60E is just an electronically monitored 700R4).

So, for those that are in for service, have them do a ride along with you and data log that beast so they can see exactly what is going on. They found it was a programming error in mine and I am as happy as I can be. On a side note... NO METAL SHAVINGS! 20k and the HPFP is performing perfectly. Testiment to RaceTrac fuels or Power Service additive??? I dunno. But I'm a happy camper now!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Glad you got that resolved with some software updates!

BIGCUMMINSTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDL 6m
I having the same problem with my 2013. Do you have firmware update code or number for the update off your receipt. Thank u for giving all the good info

FLHX1550

TDI
2013 Golf TDI 4-Dr
I myself am still traveling for work, hopefully can get the car in this Friday.

Any info on what this software update was?

85Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr TDI w/DSG
No Clue, my paperwork is still at the dealer, they haven't closed my ticket yet since they have a part on order for my rear passenger window. Makes a helluva buzzing noise when it closes completely. But they said that it wasn't slated for my car, but after talking with VW (Germany), VWoA was at a loss, They updatd the engine and trans software with an update that was for the late 2011 early 2012 build dates.