Heater core replacement.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Well.....my shop help has become very good at doing them seeing as he's done 3 in the last month. If anyone needs one done and can leave the car for a couple days we can do them for you.

The price will be lower than normal since he's got it down. Call me for the details.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep. That was a bastard. 5 bottles of radiator cleaner and R.O. water run then sitting for a few days seems to have got it out. We'll see. Then the new heater core will be put in the loop.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Which TDI, B4/B5.5, A3/A4, etc?

jasonTDI

TDI
He can do A4, A3 Probably able to do B4 as well. I won't challenge him to a B5-B5.5 yet.

takiman

TDI
Jetta
Yep. That was a bastard. 5 bottles of radiator cleaner and R.O. water run then sitting for a few days seems to have got it out. We'll see. Then the new heater core will be put in the loop.
I'm glad that worked out for you! That was a stupid idea in the first place....

Happy summer, Jason! :) See at the crud run in October hopefully.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Autumn is in the air! Were I to need to get this done, I'd gladly have Jason's shop do it. The heater core is BURIED about as far inside the dash as possible.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep, about 12-14 hours if you boogie....

He's doing them for $400.....DEAL.

Hi Ted.

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG
what on earth is causing the heater cores to fail? I had my dash out of my car in a little under 4 hours... Never really went any further though. Not sure I would bother fixing the heater core I would just disconnect the line and install the electric heater for the car ;)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
How about when the antifreeze looks like this:

I knew it needed a head gasket (2.0 golf) - didn't know it needed a heater core. Major pain (gave up and replaced radiator instead).... I'd do two head gaskets over a heater core any day. They are all yours!

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Hey Jason my TDI just sprung a leak on the IP. Hoping to get it fixed before getting stationed in NC. Any chance you have a good recommendation on what to do? Rebuild, replacement, ????

I'd also timing belt, tensioner, and anything else in that area replaced.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Heater core... what a pain in the ass that is. :eek:

I'm glad someone is eager to do these jobs, and at a good price, too! :cool:

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Heater core... what a pain in the ass that is. :eek:

I'm glad someone is eager to do these jobs, and at a good price, too! :cool:
Ditto. My best is 12 hours doing one and never again unless it's my own car or for a large chunk more than $400. My patience level isn't high enough to do them on a regular basis haha.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I don't need a heater core, but my recirculating door/motor broke in the closed position. I had to break the door off to get fresh air in the car. What would that cost to replace?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Food for thought for anyone who has the telltale foam blowing from the vents... go ahead and replace the heater core while you're in there fixing the air mixing box. And if you have a blown heater core, you may as well do that mixing box, too... if one fails, the other isn't far behind (ask how I know!). :eek:

jasonTDI

TDI
wow.......just wow......

Crap job but he likes doing them. It's his thing. Long conveluted jobs he can do after hours.......whatever.

How about when the antifreeze looks like this:

I knew it needed a head gasket (2.0 golf) - didn't know it needed a heater core. Major pain (gave up and replaced radiator instead).... I'd do two head gaskets over a heater core any day. They are all yours!

jasonTDI

TDI
Got a parts car coming in tomorrow. I can do it. Call me.

Hey Jason my TDI just sprung a leak on the IP. Hoping to get it fixed before getting stationed in NC. Any chance you have a good recommendation on what to do? Rebuild, replacement, ????

I'd also timing belt, tensioner, and anything else in that area replaced.

jasonTDI

TDI
Ditto. My best is 12 hours doing one and never again unless it's my own car or for a large chunk more than $400. My patience level isn't high enough to do them on a regular basis haha.
There is a reason he gets all the money on that one. I won't do them either.

jasonTDI

TDI
I don't need a heater core, but my recirculating door/motor broke in the closed position. I had to break the door off to get fresh air in the car. What would that cost to replace?
Same as heater core plus parts and all of them need an AC r&r as well. About $80 for that.

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep.

Blower motor and the resistor pack too.

If you need the wiper transmission it's a good time as well since you have to remove it to get bolts out on the firewall side.

Food for thought for anyone who has the telltale foam blowing from the vents... go ahead and replace the heater core while you're in there fixing the air mixing box. And if you have a blown heater core, you may as well do that mixing box, too... if one fails, the other isn't far behind (ask how I know!). :eek:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Got a parts car coming in tomorrow. I can do it. Call me.
Will do bringing the car up from milwaukee this weekend. It still runs and drives just fine. No hard starts or anything just has a very slight fuel leak that drips a few a everynight.

RockvaleTN-TDI

TDI
'05 Passat GLS
Is there a post on here that talks about B5.5 no heat ? I can't find one yet. My issue is 99.9% of the air blowing is barely warmer than outside. No leaks, no coolant smells, fixed the air pockets, no gurgurling, new thermostat, 86K miles. Water pump slipping? Heater Core plugged/ gummed up?

jasonTDI

TDI
It's likely the blendor motor or the cable that moves the flap back and forth to divert the air across the heater core. You'll have nto start at the dash controls and work your way in.....Sorry.

Jo1175

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI GL, 2003 Jetta TDI 5SP GLS, Jeep TJ TDI Conversion 2004 TDI Bew... In progress
How much do they get for a heater core on a 98 Jetta ? I just did mine took 12hrs....