www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old December 10th, 2018, 19:09   #46
DangerBoy

As it is now with me driving in the worst stop and go conditions for fuel economy and not being nearly as conservative as I should (but still a semi-considerate driver) I'll likely get 10l/100km on this tank. I think the only way to do worse than this is to pull a trailer uphill both ways while trying to do standstill 4 wheel wheelspins on sheer ice at each intersection.
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:09   #47
eli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51

Hello to OP seeker of diesel/SUVs.

Here are some semi-informed viewpoints perhaps tangentially related to diesel.

I could not resist the Porsche as first-stop/benchmark if its on the short-list at all. Maybe test-drive the stickshift Porsche SUV if you can find one, even though it's a gasser.

I owned a 2004 XC90 for 100k miles - it was my 2nd of 3 volvos and it was awesome for family. Volvo kindly provided a bunch of XC90 for me and other new owners to drive on a race-track/paddock/road-course - including "moose test". I didn't try the moose test at 100 mph but based on results up to 60, I am sure it would not have rolled over at 100. It was a truck and it handled very predictably and safely for me who prefers performance car handling. It is amazing to see the one-side-only-tire-smoking "squat" operation of anti-rollover software on a track. You might want to drive an XC90 gasser slushbox as another benchmark - XC90 is the the most kush SUV and safest-passenger-vehicle available in USA. Especially if you have family/spousal-person/children in it.

I once drove a gen-1 gasser ML350 and thought it handled like a pickup truck, astoundingly bad ride and handling. Seems early SUVs were like that. Except volvo's !

Buddy with experience driving X5 vs Kay-yen indicates X5 way better for him as (gasser) driver. I told him I was not surprised for a few reasons, including BMW having way more experience making drivers handling trucks/SUVs.

Another buddy in Beantown has a stickshift Cayenne he wants to sell. I covet it. It is the last new-gen model available with stick. He parks it outdoors !

YES put the Jeep GC diesel on the list. And if that's on the list, also put the Jeep SRT8 on the list just for comparison TORQUE slushbox test-drive.

As for the questioning why the maintenance cost on any of these diesel SUVs would be more than for a gasser, that's funny stuff. Do not be afraid. Stare into the light of increased diesel combustion.

A stickshift diesel SUV would be amazing. Seems the closest we can get to that is a Dodge diesel pickup truck. I suppose I will have to test drive and buy one of those now that I've recommended 14 obscure test drives for our OP 911-caller/911-callee here.

TTFN !
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:04   #48
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Go the other way...early 2000s TD5 powered Defender 110.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:18   #49
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Re the BMW X5, was there a reason to limit the 3rd gen X5 model years to 2014-15 other than cost? Did anything change with MY2016 to make the diesel powered X5 less desirable (other than higher cost)?

Last edited by Zambee500; February 26th, 2019 at 12:31.
Zambee500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 13:55   #50
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberkanone View Post
Diesel. Towing. Utility.
Around $30K.
Ram pickup Ecodiesel 4WD woud be my pick here. Not a SUV. Pickups today have all the luxury features available.
The 3.0L EcoDiesel engine is a piece of crap.

https://carbuzz.com/news/why-new-eco...engine-failure

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 19:53   #51
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Default 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
The 3.0L EcoDiesel engine is a piece of crap.
https://carbuzz.com/news/why-new-eco...engine-failure
Steve
You are welcome to back up your claim with facts. A link to a 2016 post is not compelling evidence.

Millions of miles on these engines since 2016.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote