Got 35% tint on my 2010 TDI golf (1st time ever to buy tint btw)

simoco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
very nice. I got 40% all around on my golf, it was my first time also. These golfs look real nice tinted.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
looks great, I always put darker in the back, it makes the front look lighter

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
My option was to go 35% all around or go 30% in back and 50% in front or as dark as limo in back and nothing in front (Illinois law) but I was not allowed to do 35% in back and 40% in front for example (yeah, I know the law is goofy sometimes)

ss7

TDI
02 Golf GLS
Since its your first ride with tint, how is driving at night? I've never run tint and would like to know how the experience is.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
Since its your first ride with tint, how is driving at night? I've never run tint and would like to know how the experience is.

I was worried my first night of driving and found it to be fine (was relieved actually) and the tint in the rear window helps dim the morons who won't turn off their brights ;)

brenodo

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I'm also in my first tinted ride and the only issue I have is in pitch black darkness (no light at all outside) and backing up, in a few situations it was very difficult to see. I have 35% all around. In general I love it, really helps on bright sunny days and in normal night driving situations I have no issues at all.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS

Once you get tinted windows you will want them on all your cars thereafter. I like having tint especially at night so you do not get blinded by other cars light from the side or rear. Daytime has its obvious advantages.

One of my cars have limo in the rear I have no problem seeing but I am use to it I guess. perfect combo for me is 50% front and 5% in the Back. last Car I had done was 35% front and 15% back. this is too dark for the front and not dark enough for me in the back. I guess its the matter of time before I get a fix it ticket.

try the tint model
http://www.aterrifictint.com/tinter.html

Last edited:

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
yes indeed, I was already thinking that now I'm spoiled already and won't even own another car without having it tinted right away (go figure)

silversx80

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW
Thanks for the pics. I'm getting tint done on my JSW this Wednesday, first time for me as well. Getting the windshield done with Air Blue 80 too. My main intention is blocking UV, since I already have skin issues and one bit of Basal Cell removed (I'm only 28 to boot). I think I'm going to stick with 40% all around, since 35% is just a little too dark for me.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I have 20% on both of mine all around. The only time I have an issue is when backing up after dark. I generally roll down the windows and use the mirrors and have not had any problems unless it is like really cold outside...

Here are 2 pics of my gasser and my TDI. Sorry cell phone crappy pics and in bright sunlight. Much darker when cloudy or dark of course...

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I would warn anyone contemplating tinting their cars that they check the laws in their states and any states they plan on driving in. In NH there is no aftermarket tint permitted on the front windows. It doesn't matter if your car is registered where it is legal, if you drive here with a tinted front windows you can get a ticket.

I found this out the hard way, after I bought a car out of state and brought it home.

265:95 Obstruction to Driver's View or Riding Mechanism. –
I. No person shall drive a vehicle when it is so loaded, or when there are in the front seat such a number of persons, exceeding 3, as to obstruct the view of the driver, to the front or side of the vehicle or as to interfere with the driver's control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.
II. No passenger in a vehicle shall ride in such position as to interfere with the driver's view ahead or to the sides, or to interfere with his control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.
III. No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other nontransparent material upon or adjacent to the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which shall obstruct the driver's clear view of the way or any intersecting way, unless authorized by the director so to do. No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver, as prohibited under RSA 266:58-a.
IV. Any person who violates the provisions of paragraph I, II, or III of this section shall be subject to a fine of $75.

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I have 20% on both of mine all around. The only time I have an issue is when backing up after dark. I generally roll down the windows and use the mirrors and have not had any problems unless it is like really cold outside...
Are you aware that the legal limit in NC is 35%?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Yeah, I found out after I pulled the trigger and ordered the kit to do it. It was labeled as 35% on the box, but when I got it and put it on it shows closer to 20% with a meter. I don't know if it is the brand or if there is a certain amount of factory tint that adds to it. Will probably have to do something different when inspection time comes around... I guess I can enjoy it till then.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Are you aware that the legal limit in NC is 35%?
skinnyb says s/he has 20% all around. Is it 35% cumulative? So you can only have 8.75% on each window?

nhdoc said:
I would warn anyone contemplating tinting their cars that they check the laws in their states and any states they plan on driving in.
Most states have reciprocity agreements that allow out of state drivers whose cars are legal in their home states to drive legally in the foreign state.

Meaning, as long as my car meets Mass regulations, I can legally drive to PDXFest '10 and back, even if my Mass legal car violates NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, DE, WY, UT, CA, OR, WA, OR, ID, WY, SD, and MN laws.

Similarly, many states issue insurance cards. Mass does not. So if I get pulled over in a state that issues/requires insurance cards I can't be fined/go to jail for not having an insurance card. It's asking a bit much for residents of all 50 states to make sure they're in compliance with all the 49 other states' regulations.

I'm inclined to say it's part of the Interstate Commerce code, but I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
skinnyb says s/he has 20% all around. Is it 35% cumulative? So you can only have 8.75% on each window?
No, it's not cumulative. It's the measure of Visible Light Transmission (VLT) through the automotive glass, so a lower number means less light is transmitted i.e. 8.75% would be almost opaque.

Google the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Gotcha.

So when skinnyb said he has 20% all around, why did you ask if he's aware the limit is 35%? S/he's 15% below the limit.
What don't you understand? I thought my post was clear (no pun intended). :) 20% is darker than 35%. VLT is a measure of the light transmitted through the glass/tint, 100% tint, means 100% of the light is transmitted through, i.e. perfectly clear, 0% VLT would totally opaque.

In NC, the darkest you can go is 35%, 20% is darker, it's not just a problem for annual safety inspection, in NC, VA, SC, Law Enforcement can and does check it on the spot with their hand held VLT meter. Read the links I posted for you.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/tinting.html

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
tint option for you...

silversx80-

I know a guy who does this here in the area (Wake County). Does excellent work. PM me and I can give you his name. Perhaps you can get a better deal or at least give you an estimate to compare with. He did my tint and it looks great- workmanship was top-notch. I went "below" 35% on all 4 and the rear. :D Darker than what I wanted, but looks good.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What don't you understand? I thought my post was clear (no pun intended). :) 20% is darker than 35%. VLT is a measure of the light transmitted through the glass/tint, 100% tint, means 100% of the light is transmitted through, i.e. perfectly clear, 0% VLT would totally opaque.

In NC, the darkest you can go is 35%, 20% is darker, it's not just a problem for annual safety inspection, in NC, VA, SC, Law Enforcement can and does check it on the spot with their hand held VLT meter. Read the links I posted for you.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/tinting.html
All you had to say is the lower the %, the darker the tint. No need to be a smart ass.

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
All you had to say is the lower the %, the darker the tint. No need to be a smart ass.

I did, in post #21. Not being a 'smart ass', seriously, it was a fair question. I gave you the answer in post #21 but you still didn't understand and I was trying to see why.

Last edited:

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Most states have reciprocity agreements that allow out of state drivers whose cars are legal in their home states to drive legally in the foreign state.

Meaning, as long as my car meets Mass regulations, I can legally drive to PDXFest '10 and back, even if my Mass legal car violates NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, DE, WY, UT, CA, OR, WA, OR, ID, WY, SD, and MN laws.

Similarly, many states issue insurance cards. Mass does not. So if I get pulled over in a state that issues/requires insurance cards I can't be fined/go to jail for not having an insurance card. It's asking a bit much for residents of all 50 states to make sure they're in compliance with all the 49 other states' regulations.

I'm inclined to say it's part of the Interstate Commerce code, but I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me.
I'm inclined to read the law in NH as written and interpret it as saying if you drive with tinted windows which don't conform to the state's requirements you are in violation of the law:

No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver, as prohibited under RSA 266:58-a.

I'm guessing that a reasonable cop won't give you a ticket for tinted windows if you weren't doing anything else wrong (you would probably get a warning though), but it is an excuse for them to pull you over just for having the tinted windows or if you are pulled over for something else and are belligerent they CAN give you a ticket for the tinted windows if they wanted to.

When I was pulled over with the car we had just brought up from out of state I was let off with a warning because I had explained that the car came from out of state, was legal there and I hadn't yet had it inspected in NH (you have 10 days). The officer explained to me that it is not relevant where the car came from or if it was legal there or even where it was registered, he simply told me the LAW is you can't drive a car with tinted front windows legally in NH, period. He used his discretion and because I was not argumentative he said as long as I promised to removed the tint film he'd let me go and I did. I specifically asked him if I would also be subject to ticketing if I were an out of stater just passing through and he said "absolutely". He also said they were going after shops which tinted front windows in NH and inspection stations who were putting stickers on cars with the tint through sting operations to try and stop it.

So, understand that if you drive in NH with tinted front windows you are subject to being pulled over and a $75 fine.

I can only tell you law enforcement is very suspicious of any car they can't see into which is the basis of the law. If having the illegal tint gives them cause to pull you over just be aware that it is the case.

It's one of those things you "live and learn" about.

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I'm inclined to read the law in NH as written and interpret it as saying if you drive with tinted windows which don't conform to the state's requirements you are in violation of the law:

No person shall drive upon any way any vehicle with after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver, as prohibited under RSA 266:58-a.

I'm guessing that a reasonable cop won't give you a ticket for tinted windows if you weren't doing anything else wrong (you would probably get a warning though), but it is an excuse for them to pull you over just for having the tinted windows or if you are pulled over for something else and are belligerent they CAN give you a ticket for the tinted windows if they wanted to.

When I was pulled over with the car we had just brought up from out of state I was let off with a warning because I had explained that the car came from out of state, was legal there and I hadn't yet had it inspected in NH (you have 10 days). The officer explained to me that it is not relevant where the car came from or if it was legal there or even where it was registered, he simply told me the LAW is you can't drive a car with tinted front windows legally in NH, period. He used his discretion and because I was not argumentative he said as long as I promised to removed the tint film he'd let me go and I did. I specifically asked him if I would also be subject to ticketing if I were an out of stater just passing through and he said "absolutely". He also said they were going after shops which tinted front windows in NH and inspection stations who were putting stickers on cars with the tint through sting operations to try and stop it.

So, understand that if you drive in NH with tinted front windows you are subject to being pulled over and a $75 fine.

I can only tell you law enforcement is very suspicious of any car they can't see into which is the basis of the law. If having the illegal tint gives them cause to pull you over just be aware that it is the case.

It's one of those things you "live and learn" about.
Your example isn't quite the same though, as you registered or were planning to register the car in NH.