I can't believe the price of diesel...

First D

Veteran Member
I can\'t believe the price of diesel...

A few days ago I bought a tank at $2.69 per gallon. That was already higher than the week before $2.59 a gallon. Today I hear that diesel is spiking because of a refinery fire in El Segundo which will shut production for about 10 days. I passed by the station today and diesel was $2.94 per gallon, about 40 cents more than regular and 20 cents more than premium. This had better not continue long...

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

I just paid $2.59 for diesel. But yeah all my usual stations are creaping up to the $2.70 mark. I never thought I'ld see the day when it cost more then $40 to fill up the Jetta.

Makes you want to run out and buy an Hummer!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M

Also filled at 2.59 today, but later on saw a place that had diesel at 2.99 a gallon!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

I just filled up yesterday and the price of diesel was $1.019 CDN per litre which works out to be about $3.85 CDN per US gallon! Even with an exchange rate .85 ($1 US = $.85 CDN) that works out to about $3.27 US per gallon! You guys don't have it as bad as you might think!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Re: I can\'t believe the price of diesel...

Still better than gas. This morning I saw $1.079/litre for gasoline in Vancouver (~3.45US gallon) while diesel is still $0.969/litre (~$3.10US gallon).

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

I was in Vancouver and Victoria a few months back. I was glad I had the driving range of a TDI and that I filled up Port Angeles before heading into Canada.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

You mean you came all the way up here and didn't drop me a PM or e-mail to say "hello, let's grab a coffee" while you were in town?
Not very friendly!

I'm sure you had your reasons .... I guess.

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite

Hey Dan,
Where did you get it for $2.59?, I got some at the shell near Costco and it was $2.76.....
-R

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite

I swear that the difference between Biodiesel and regular is not too big anymore...

BioFuel Oasis in Berkeley $3.60
Solar Living in Hopland $3.25
My co-op in Pacifica $3.00

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White

There's really no reason for diesel to be so high. Diesel is a bi-product of gasoline. My pops once told me that they had trouble giving it away back in the 30's. So why does diesel cost more than gas?! The Government and Corporations are taking advantage of the consumer market. They even sell dirty diesel fuel for $3/gallon!!!! Bio-diesel shouldn't even be that expensive either!

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

Sorry Ed, I'm a little strange in that way. Mr. Pyce gave me a little bit of a hard time too for not trying to hook up with some members up there. It truly wasn't anything personnal, I just tend to be a quiet, antisocial person when I'm in a strange town.

I did love Vancouver and didn't seem to spend enough time there. It was so bueatiful coming onto the main land just north of Vancouver. I could almost imagine I was in Norway. I really need to plan another excurion up there. You Canadians are just too gosh darn friendly. Well except for the the rausting I got in Victoria from a customs agent. I guess Canada doesn't like single, caucasion, American, males coming to town with a stuffed car and not having any reservations or not meeting anybody. Must have thought I came to town just to dump a load a trash, you know Americanize Victoria. Thank god they didn't find a rattle can of paint.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White

Hey eetsoot. We should meet up and shoot the sh#t sometime. I can enlighten you about rotaries.

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS

$2.999/gal, Chevron, corner of Hemlock and Victoria

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

Rotaries...lots of hp and no torque, the antidiesel! The motors you can rev like there is no tomarrow and make V-tech owners nervious. I actually always thought the Wankel motor was a neat idea. The utlimate in simplicity until the smog laws. In high school I dated a girl that owned a rotary wagon but I didn't pay much attention the car back then. Now days I'ld probably go out with her just to look under her hood, yes the car's hood.

Sure If you want to get together sometime no problem. I'll PM you my cell #.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

Riceeater, that station always plays with their pricing. If it wasn't a Chevron refinery that burned, I'ld swear that that station would drop it's price Monday just to piss all the other stations off. This station is just plain weird, they would drop their price when everyone was going up and raise their price when everyone was going down.

I got diesel at the Thrifty Gas on Gonzales and Ventura for $2.59 on Wed. Don't know what the heck it is now.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White

I filled up my F350 today with diesel. $76!!!!

I have a 20B 3 rotor. Now the rotary has torque, but nothing like a V8...

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White

Just filled up yesterday at the Arco on E. Chapman off the 55 FWY for $2.65 per gallon of the ultra-low sulfur diesel. Stopped by between going to Disneyland and Old Orange (for some yummy Cuban food).

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL

Oh, that's just great, ULSD for $0.30 less than regular old #2 (at least up north). Next thing you know biodiesel's going to be cheaper than #2...

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL

Yeah, then I have to start worrying about dodgy manufacturing processes and shady operators...why, it just might force me to make my own fuel! What's this great state of ours coming to?! I am outraged!

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Hey, 3.09 in MV today. Would be nice to bring the Euro TDIs with the Euro prices, LOL!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Just returned from the RTC on El Cajon Blvd near I-15. $2.779 for #2, $2.839 for B20.

I think most other SD County stations are charging $2.89 or higher. So this was a good deal. A guy filling his personal F-250 said he buys about 3000 gallons a week for all his work trucks. Ouch!

jdh

TDI
2003 Blue Jetta Wagon TDI

Refinery fire in El Segundo, CA shut down diesel production, driving prices through the roof.

LA Times Article

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Yeah, ze roof is on ze fire! 3.19 this manana in Palo Alto

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue

Just in, I have some EP156 nozzles. Very low smoke and will increase your manual economy to over 55mpg. Get em here first before the market is flooded with Italian copies!

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd

Fire at refinery??? Why don't the oil companies just call it what it is... PRICE GOUGING!!!.

Currently $2.97 at the corner 76.

FYI...link to CA fuel price watch.
GasBuddy.com - CA

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Reflex Silver

The Shell station here in Hemet, Riverside Co, is $2.99. The last Saturday in July I drove to Escondido to fillup on Bio-Willie's B20 @ $2.59. I also filled up 2 five gal containers. The oil company will deliver 55 gal drums to my residence, but I didn't ask what the delivery charge would be. I'm glad I don't have a commute to LA on a daily basis. Otherwise I would be riding METROLINK. They posted a note that they would be raising their fares as their engine run on diesel. Now if there were catenary over the tracks and electric trains like the old Pacific Electric their operating costs would be lower and no polution like when the engines just sit on the sidings and idle.
Rob

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen

Prices range from $2.75 to $2.84 in Everett. Looks like B100 is the way to go now. Makes the 125 mile round trip to Fife worth it.