HELP!!! Gas in tank in 2002 Jetta TDI

scottab

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Buddies' wife put gas in his TDI. :( After draining the tank, what is the quickest way to purge the rest of the fuel system...:confused:

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
In the ALH engine its really quite simple.

Pull the return line from the fuel filter that is comming from your injection pump. Apply a vaccum to there and keep drawing fuel until you see clean diesel.

Crack the lines to the injectors and turn the motor over a couple times purging the gas from the lines. Tighten them all down and then crank your engine over (hopefully now on diesel).

As good measure you may want to change your fuel filter too as gasoline is a good solvent and any debris from your tank could end up in your fuel filter.

Of course you need to get the Gasoline out of your tank first and replace with diesel. To do that dissconnect the fuel outlet from the fuel filter to the Injection pump and again apply vaccum until you arent drawing any more fuel out of there. Fill the tank with diesel and then after changing your fuel filter prime the fuel filter and do the above steps.

If you cant get ALL the unleaded fuel out of the gas tank dont worry too much. Your car will run okay just make sure to dilute the crap out of it with diesel and other conditioners.
It is still best to get as much of the unleaded out as you can... 1Litre or less and you can probably get away with it but i personally wouldnt leave more then a litre of unleaded gas in the tank.

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
scottab said:
Buddies' wife put gas in his TDI. :( After draining the tank, what is the quickest way to purge the rest of the fuel system...:confused:
Sorry to hear - but this must be a the time of year for it. My son did the same, Wednesday evening, and we began the purge process last night after having AAA tow it home. What year is the car?

CAR 54 offered to assist me, but we were able to accomplish it ourselves. Needless to say, my son won't be doing this again.