Puking oil and soot.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Have you done any sort of EGR adaption? It seems that this is is "just" the oily soot that is recirculated to happily clog your intake.

The gas recirculation can be tuned down to off-road legal limits by using VAG COM.

If you do not have any performance issues, cleaning the shut off valve area and wherever you can reach after removing the hoses from the intake, may be sufficient.

menachite

TDI
Tornado Red 2001 Jetta GLS TDI
No performance issues....the car is at 43,000 and keeps getting better since I got it at 27,000.

Is it supposed to leak like that? Is that the intention of the holes?

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
Shouldn't leak like that at such low mileage. I think the diagphram has let go in the egr valve assy. As for the CCV area check the grommet that goes into the valve cover for tears or a nick and the seal of the piping attached to it. I would also check the oil level to make sure it's not overfilled.

kregars

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000
I second the oil overfill.

I found out personally that the dealer that did my last LOF overfilled by almost half a quart. I questioned it at the time and wanted them to put it in writing that it was within limits..with me taking pictures of them holding the dipstick pointing at the level, and more of them signing the paper work with a diagram of the level that was being read on the stick...needless to say, they werent about to do that, and prmoptly took the car back in, changed the oil with me standing guard like a hawk, and putting in the correct amount.

Dealers...*shrug*...

Luckily, I currently have a dealer I can trust, as many local owners seem to be happy with the way their high mile TDi's have been cared for.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
No, not overfill, DarrenJ had it right. Mine did this too at around 110,000. Your EGR is bad, just replace it. I agree that 43,000 is too early. Warranty?

The CCV puck to intake connections gather oil and leak somewhat for basically everybody. I'd say just tighten the connection at that compression fitting, or even better, spring for an Old Navy CCV filter.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Mine started leaking like that after I cleaned it out. I am not worried, I used 'no' oil in about 15k miles. I cleaned the outside of the valve again, changed oil and kept an eye on it...it went to the exact amount of leakage there was before, almost instantly, and hasn't gotten any worse. I have also used 'no' oil in about 4k miles this time around. I say used 'no' oil, because when I change oil I set it to 3/4 up the mark on the stick, then in about a week or ten days it comes down to exactly the 1/2 mark on the dipstick and then never moves again, ever, or at least in the 25k miles I have owned the car this has been the case. I am not worried about it and I am not changing that valve unless it completely malfunctions. I can handle wiping away the oily residue once every 10k-15k miles.
The CCV puck isn't much of an issue either, pull it all apart, clean it off, put it back together and next month it will have some seepage. I don't consider it a major deal and so little is lost that if this is the only 'leak' you would never have to add oil to compensate.

YMMV

Mike

ypatel

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Wagon Stick>300K miles, 2014 Passat SE stick
Folks,

I have a similar problem with my Jetta 2002 TDI, it has 95K miles on it. I normally see more oil leaking out the EGR valve after initial oil change and once the oil get thicker or gradually with time I see less oil leakage.

Could this be a EGR valve problem?
Or is it a sign that oil is getting into the piston and burning.

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
My egr valve started leaking oil at about 90k. The seal at the top of the plunger had failed. I fixed it by removing the top 'hat', drilling out the plunger and sealing it up with epoxy. Search for 'wingnut stealth racepipe', I have a few pictures at http://www.3sheep.com/~ack/srp

ypatel

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Wagon Stick>300K miles, 2014 Passat SE stick
thansk acktid for your suggestions.
I ended up replacing the EGR valve at a cost of around 160 US from the dealer. It is pierburg part and I tried to find dealers for pierburg, but to no avail. Actually pierbury have a good apps note on the web site about the valve.

VAG-COM showed no errors and the car was running rough at idle before the valve was replaced.

It's a shame VW do not have a seperate service part for the valve. The fact the dealer had one in stock tells me that this is part common to fail

Any suggestion on good cleaner to de carb the engine.