Door open light on. Doors closed, VCDS says doors closed.

dugslug

TDI
2004 jetta wagon, manual, 250K miles
Anyone seen this?

And then,

I would assume that both my switch for the hood and trunk are open, but both hood and trunk are closed.
Then I unhooked the hood switch wire connection and "closed" the switch by shorting across the computer side of the connection. VCDS still claimed the hood switch as "OPEN". I haven't dug into the trunk switch yet.
I never even realized that the trunk or hood made the door light come on, but now it's permanently on.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Mine don't...but the car knows it's open, if it's open the horn won't meep at me

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dugslug

TDI
I guess I didn't say that very well.

I'm trying to figure out why my Door Open light is on.

Clearly it's not my doors that are causing this issue (I think), but could it be that both my hood and trunk switches broke at exactly the same time?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
It's your door lock, it's got 3 switches in it, one for the lights and one for the alarm I think and another one for something else...maybe it's only got 2 but I've seen this before, the ECU eventually shuts it down, throws a code but no CEL.

does it say driver's door open? I put in a Chinese door lock, it works but every now and then it acts funny, but it was way cheaper than the OEM, also there's a switch you can swap in to repair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
As far as the hood - it will not cause the interior light to come on, and simply unplugging the switch is the "closed" signal. My switch wiring was damaged and I've just left it off with no issue.

If your door switches are working - have you checked the 3 position switch for the lights? On/off/door

dugslug

TDI
Solved!

All doors were closed (by VCDS) and both hood and trunk were OPEN (by VCDS).

But, only the trunk being open caused the light on the dashboard. I found this out by jiggling the wires that go to the switch on the trunk and eventually the light went off. VCDS also confirmed that the switch was now closed.

So, as gforce1108 states, the hood switch doesn't matter, only the trunk switch.