PO301 misfire after engine swap

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hey Guys,

I have a 03 Golf 5 speed with 250K. I got my hands on a used motor that I swapped out of my original motor.

When I fired it up it was a little shaky and blowing white smoke, so I put vag com on it and I got PO 301-35-10 misfire detected -intermittent.

Then I cracked the injectors and noticed that 1,2,and 3 all bogged down when I loosened them, but 4 did nothing at all no matter how loose and showered I was with diesel.

Then I swapped injectors 2 and 4 and that made no difference.

Then I pull the valve cover and everything looked good.

So the question is:

Do you think the problem is just maybe a weak IP, because I have a spare one of those that I know is good and that would a very easy thing to do?

or

Do have to pull the head and inspect which is more time consuming and expensive?

Meister Kraft

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Have a compression check done as long as you are sure the injection system is bleed. When I did my injectors I let the vehicle idle for almost 5 min before injector 4 was bleed. All the air in the system has to pass through #4 before reaching the pump.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
yeah, i had it idle until it reached normal operating temp which was a good 30 minutes. I guess I am off to HF to get a compression tester, I just hate taking off those glow plugs.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Spray PB Blaster on the glow plugs base twice a day for a a couple days.
I did it for 3 days.
Cold in the morning and hot when I got home.
They came out easy.

There's a torque speck not to exceed when taking them out.
Part from a post here:
Torque specifications (Ft-lbs)
-Glow Plugs (10mm) 11

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Well, my suspicion was right. I have a dead cylinder. Now the question is: Do I replace the whole engine or just the head. I guess I will have to see what is looks like after I take the head off. I came across an automatic engine with the 11 mm pump and the bigger nozzles. Anyone know what will happen if I put that engine in my manual?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The block and head are interchangeable. The auto's IP will give you a minor power bump.