Fuel economy

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you vent the tank you can see readings like this:
I am vented, and I fill my tank slowly to prevent foaming. I filled up last night. I'm now at 28 mpg. I believe my injectors are all messed up. I'll be having them looked at soon.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
You are in danger of wrecking things there Nero. Sooner is decidedly better. Like *RIGHT NOW*
cheers,
Douglas

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Nero, I'm getting 28-32 mpg (in the city) on my wagon with a stage 4 tune, same as you. VW's spec says the injector balance should be +2.0 to -2.0 of each other and you are well within that. Here are my injector balance #s:

.24,.38,.-19,-.45 (at idle)
.56,.59,-.52,-.66 (at 1500 rpm)

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nero, I'm getting 28-32 mpg (in the city) on my wagon with a stage 4 tune, same as you. VW's spec says the injector balance should be +2.0 to -2.0 of each other and you are well within that. Here are my injector balance #s:

.24,.38,.-19,-.45 (at idle)
.56,.59,-.52,-.66 (at 1500 rpm)
Franko6 says the numbers, for best fuel economy, should be within 0.20 of each other. I pulled my injectors and dropped them off at the post office. I'll follow up when I get them back and see how it performs.

On another note, they were pretty clean still for only having 3k miles on them.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
If the injectors are all you change and your FE goes up, please let me know. I did read that just because your injector timing is off, it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the injectors. Could be different compression in each cylinder, etc.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haven't heard from Frank yet, he's had my injectors since Monday. I'll call him Monday if I don't hear from him today.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
I better be patient. You should run through one tank at least to see if it makes any difference and that will take a while.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I assume he'd be able to tell if a nozzle is bad on the bench, between leaking down and incorrect pop off pressures, along with incorrect flow. I kind of hope he finds something wrong just so I can get some better nozzles through him :)

Brief update, didn't feel the need for a new post. Frank had something come up, so he'll get to my injectors either this evening or tomorrow, and I'll follow up then.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just got off the phone with Frank. He had to repair two nozzles, injector 3 was way over shimmed, and he found out that the injector body for #3 is not repairable, something about a check valve seized in it or something. So that is fun. I'll be getting them back soon, and I'll follow up what my fuel eco is after a tank or two.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Bosio nozzles? I keep running my stock nozzles even with a leak down because I wouldn’t enjoy these shenanigans after all the time and money spent. Pro nozzle build and balance with improperly shimmed injectors, still new and one failed. I’m waiting for a sure bet. Good juicy thread

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Franko6 says the numbers, for best fuel economy, should be within 0.20 of each other. I pulled my injectors and dropped them off at the post office. I'll follow up when I get them back and see how it performs.
On another note, they were pretty clean still for only having 3k miles on them.
I would be curious to what your IQ deviation will be when you get them back from Frank. When I put my DLC 520s in I was told that the IQ deviation didn't have to be 0.20 from each other because our single pump controls the injection for all 4 injectors, so they won't be the same. Our pumps are not a common rail system and that is why the numbers will be off. I don't how much truth there is to that because that is more than my knowledge base. I believe the last time I checked my numbers were
0.00 0.05 0.35 -0.45 at idle

0.31 0.02 -0.02 -0.33 at idle

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would be curious to what your IQ deviation will be when you get them back from Frank. When I put my DLC 520s in I was told that the IQ deviation didn't have to be 0.20 from each other because our single pump controls the injection for all 4 injectors, so they won't be the same. Our pumps are not a common rail system and that is why the numbers will be off. I don't how much truth there is to that because that is more than my knowledge base. I believe the last time I checked my numbers were
0.00 0.05 0.35 -0.45 at idle

0.31 0.02 -0.02 -0.33 at idle

Anyone else want to chime in on this?
Franko6 says the numbers, for best fuel economy, should be within 0.20 of each other....................snip..............
I'll chime. Frank has forgotten more about this than I'll ever know. But I'm not buying 0.2 as a maximum optimal rage, more like 2.0 max is what most report. The spec says -2 to 2 that's a spread of 4. Rarely do we see that much.
Let's understand what these numbers are. From MoGolf-
Group 013
This group shows the smooth running control injected quantity cylinder 1 - 4, left to right. Values expected -2.0 - + 2.0 mg/R
This is showing how the ECM is balancing the power for each cylinder at idle to account for variations in component tolerances, jet sizes, compressions, etc.).

Anxiously awaiting Nero's results.......

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I was wondering about that 0.2 statement, 2.0 sounds more realistic. My car runs fine with those numbers, but wasn't sure if I should be alarmed. As for Nero, I am curious to see what his numbers are when he gets them back in and running.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To reiterate, yes max spec may be +/- 2.0, but that's the max I've ever seen them go. I believe that's the full range of control the pump has. Frank said my #3 was running at -1.85 while the rest were within +/-0.20 after making repairs, As Frank put it, my #3 was over fueling to the point of melting pistons if I drove it spirited all the time. Luckily I didn't. I should be getting my injectors on Sunday. I so can't wait to get my car back.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
To reiterate, yes max spec may be +/- 2.0, but that's the max I've ever seen them go. I believe that's the full range of control the pump has. Frank said my #3 was running at -1.85 while the rest were within +/-0.20 after making repairs, As Frank put it, my #3 was over fueling to the point of melting pistons if I drove it spirited all the time. Luckily I didn't. I should be getting my injectors on Sunday. I so can't wait to get my car back.
I've seen folks report readings beyond 2, rare.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, day 3 is about to start with the injectors in. So far, Sunday and Monday, tons of power, and no more white smoke. Even if I really goose the heck out of it, all I get is a small poof of black at initial throttle and that's all. What a tremendous difference. Found I have a park brake that's not fully releasing, I'll address it then fill up to see what the fuel eco is. On another note, tried calling Kerma about the injectors being as messed up as they were. It didn't go well.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, day 3 is about to start with the injectors in. So far, Sunday and Monday, tons of power, and no more white smoke. Even if I really goose the heck out of it, all I get is a small poof of black at initial throttle and that's all. What a tremendous difference. Found I have a park brake that's not fully releasing, I'll address it then fill up to see what the fuel eco is. On another note, tried calling Kerma about the injectors being as messed up as they were. It didn't go well.
Glad to hear that you are back up and running! Yeah that parking brake can really affect your mpg not to mention the wear on that rotor.

Can you elaborate on "didn't go well" statement. No need to trash a vendor, just curious about your injectors and what Kerma thought was the problem.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoever I was on the phone with was immediately on the defensive about their product, and refused to do anything. I'm not here to slander vendors, but after this experience I'm done with Kerma, and I'll leave it at that.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here we go, a few screenshots of my injector balance after working out a bug with Frank. Definitely TONS better than before. As soon as I replace my caliper thats sticking, I'll fill up and post my fuel eco. So far, with my Scangauge, instintanious fuel eco and trip average are a lot better!

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
Very interesting, I might have to check mine out again and see what it is showing now after a couple thousand miles on the injectors.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well this is a first! About an hours worth of driving, half city half freeway. Helped a friend move. Also fixed the stuck caliper today, and tomorrow new tires. So I'll fill up after the tires are put on and run the tank out, and report back. But so far it looks promising!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Well this is a first! About an hours worth of driving, half city half freeway. Helped a friend move. Also fixed the stuck caliper today, and tomorrow new tires. So I'll fill up after the tires are put on and run the tank out, and report back. But so far it looks promising!
Which car was this?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Amazing results! Any more data points to share?