98 New beetle ALH died on freeway

yahjnby

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI ALH 1.9 Part owner Sencond New Beetle 98 TDI ALH and a 2002 TDI New Beetle
So, I found myself in over my head once I figured out the timing belt had broken. And was not confident tying to take apart my engine. So I enrolled in an engine class at my local community college. I'm most of the way through the class and my class engine is reassembled and running. I can use the school to work on my own stuff now so I have removed the head from my TDI and am bringing it in to school.

I'm going to look over my cam shaft, my lifters and valves. I'll measure piston protrusion at some point, I may pull the pistons for educational purposes.

Anyone have any special advice on checking out my head. (From my car)
I plan to take a bunch of pictures as is, then take the head apart and fully clean it?

Is there any thing specific to a VW TDI head that I need to look at. I read somewhere that only a professional shop can diagnose a VW TDI head once the timing belt breaks? Is that true? Or is my happy thought that I can simply swat out any bent valves, get an new gasket and bolts and slap that baby back on in the realm of possibility?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. Community college auto class for is 51 year old is quite a bit of fun. :)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I think this is the first time I have read here about someone taking classes just to fix their engine. Good for you.

When repairing the head, the valves must be inspected and any that don't measure out good would get replaced as well as any that hit the pistons. Lifters need to be replaced and valve guides. From my understanding, the biggest issue is stem height. If you call franko6 and tell him about your continuing education, you just might be able to talk him into giving you all the advice that you need. He can also sell you the parts you need after giving you the benefit of his advice.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Please call and talk to Franko6. It will be well worth your time regardless of what way you decide to go with repairing your ALH head. Probably learn more in the conversation than in classes. And his repair parts prices are reasonable and everything you actually need will come all in one box. No last minute reordering/waiting for something you didn't think of.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Sending the head out is a no-brainer.
Your class may not have the tools to refurb it even if you want to try.
The real test will be re-assembling the engine and timing belt.
Get those tools ordered and read up on the procedure while the head is out.

Last edited:

yahjnby

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI ALH 1.9 Part owner Sencond New Beetle 98 TDI ALH and a 2002 TDI New Beetle
Thank you. I'll call Frank. We don't have a machine shop at school, so I may have to send it out. But I'm going to give it my best once over first. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I like that approach, guessing the school thing is convenient and maybe fun. A good machine shop can do what you need, but you'll be providing the expertise. If you can get some free advice from Frank, you're all set. He's a great guy.
I would evaluate the lower end sooner rather that later

yahjnby

TDI
Anyone know off hand what cylinder protrusion should be. I'm getting about .8 mm. Give or take, across all cylinders, but my measurements are a little sketchy. Using a dial caliper.

yahjnby

TDI
I have been working on this car slowly over the year as time and money allow. I have been working with Frank06. Talk about helpful. :) ! Mostly getting tools and measuring the block components and pistons to make sure they are ok.
To answer someone's earlier question. The tensioners and pumps were not siezed up. I think the belt broke mileage early, but I have heard they time out at 5 years, which was the age of the belt I had on it.
I'm about ready to mail the head to Frank06 to be repaired. Then put this thing all back together.
As this is my first engine rebuild work, I'm very grateful to be able to go to my local picknPull's to practice on their cars.
I have learned I hate allen bolts.
Arrrgh.
Otherwise much fun. :)