ALH TDI Jetta Power loss/surging going up hills

Neokolzia

TDI
ALH Jetta
So quick situation is I received this ALH TDI as a hand-me down gift after the last one a 2000 Beetle ALH TDI unfortunately exploded last week, around 375k km. Something went in the engine, only suspect was oddly loud almost truck like quality it had, was driven 4,000km before it imploded.

Only reason I add fact I had the Beetle is very least gives me a very direct comparison for power, general engine feel etc.

So I'm driving this vehicle approximately 500km a week, and overall have noticed it has a distinct lack of power when getting up to 3k RPM at higher speeds (in general I avoid these rpm's as engine obviously produces plenty enough torque usually)

The vehicle has:
-240k Miles on it (385k km)
-5spd Manual (Had a new clutch I believe 40-50k before that, though almost 100% sure it isn't the clutch)

Codes: Haven't checked them myself, apparently step father who gave me the car had them checked before the hand off, and was only a glowplug warning which apparently should be okay? No issue noticable with the plug or starting that I'm aware of at least.

Problem:
Major issue with the vehicle is very noticable when going up hills, particularly a hill on the highway I travel daily (I have a alternate route if ends up being required).

This particular hill is a 6% grade, and going up it in the Beetle I had no problem in 5th gear accelerating up from 100km/hr about 125km/hr before it would peeter out maybe needing to lower a gear to gain much more than that. Not that I pushed it up the hill regularly just a observation, typically I'd maintain 110.

This Jetta however, can barely maintain 110km/hr going up the hill, and sometimes even only a 100km/hr if I were to start in 3rd or 4th when going up. 3rd and 4th both cause the vehicle to start to surge, feeling like its being starved for fuel or air, and the issue gets worst when taking corners.
Surges becoming longer and stronger. I've had this effect as well in Second, and in 5th just has to be right combination of events, something pushing the engine harder than normal, at higher throttle positions, or when going up hill and rounding a corner at higher throttle positions.

One other note, the Engine oil temp does not seem to want to exceed 155F (the mark in the video) and is slow to reach this number making me think the thermostat might be gone as well.

Below is a Video showing the issue while going up said example hill.
After gear changing, the throttle is on the floor, the RPM's dipping is each 'surge' they aren't harsh but you can feel the deceleration with each one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMLAUCliEI

What I've considered so far:
- Checking intercooler for Oil
- Seeing if can check fuel pump for flow rates/blockage.
- Changing Air filter
- Cleaning up the EGR valve (though seems to rotate fine)

I have not had the time unfortunately to do much diagnostics but hoping my explanation and video give a good idea of what sorta tell tale signs might be obvious to some and just trouble shooting to me.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'd guess limp mode, or intake clogging, or both.

EGR valve rotating? I'm confused by this. That valve opens and closes, but doesn't rotate to my knowledge. Please explain as maybe there is a conflict of nomenclature.

Cheers,

PH

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Maybe he is referring to the ASV rotating.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and re-testing to see if there is an improvement.
Even if the EGR valve has been cleaned in the past, if the cylinder head intake ports have not there may be a restriction at that point.

Can you read the VW part number on the MAF sensor (typically 038906461C)? If the last 3 numbers and letter character are 461C then it is the latest revision. If it is just 461, then it is the original and prone to be faulty.

If it is not a Bosch or Pierburg then it is an aftermarket one and suspect.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Multiple issues. New thermostat and housing, they just get tired. Possible frozen or failed turbo actuator, could even be bad turbo, check for veins being froze. But check out all the stuff indicated for low power.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
First step is get a code reader and read the codes or have them read. You said glow plug code, that will have no bearing on the problems you’re describing. I’m guessing an underboost code or MAF code and an engine not up to operating temperature code.

Maybe one of those maybe all three maybe none of these or something entirely different.

Neokolzia

TDI
ALH Jetta
Maybe he is referring to the ASV rotating.

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and re-testing to see if there is an improvement.
Even if the EGR valve has been cleaned in the past, if the cylinder head intake ports have not there may be a restriction at that point.

Can you read the VW part number on the MAF sensor (typically 038906461C)? If the last 3 numbers and letter character are 461C then it is the latest revision. If it is just 461, then it is the original and prone to be faulty.

If it is not a Bosch or Pierburg then it is an aftermarket one and suspect.
I was referring to the actuator that connects to the 'EGR', this actuator seems to move without resistance if this is normal.

I did replug the MAF after seeing this message, and it did seem to help, or might have just bee a fluke and today was a good day?
It improved the throttle response going up the hill by about 60-70% was able to accelerate to about 3800rpm in 4th gear rather than being stuck at around 3000rpm. Going around corners still caused odd hiccup like how it was, and pushing throttle too far down sometimes would start the hiccups again but was able to get to nearly 130km/hr going up the hill so alot better.
Edit: It was a fluke, next day was back to usual might have just been conditions or something not sure.

I took some images of the MAF, did not notice anything on the plug side, if recommended can take off the hose and try to clean it like have seen in some videos.

I do plan on addressing the Thermostat, as it does seem to be problematic. Going from 155f when driving harder, to cruising dropping to like 125-130f

I was not sure where the MAF Serial is, as these do not seem to be it.
https://imgur.com/a/adV51ct

Additionally I saw that there seems to be two different engine lay outs for the Jetta's one with Airbox on left and one with right, Mine is on the right I'm not 100% sure of the year at the moment.

Would be the same as this one

Last edited: