2004 TDI problem

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Hi , This problem only seems to happen when the engine is cold, start her up and the dash warning lights and high beam indicator all flash, clock losses time, buzzer sounds, the engine spudders . I don,t know were to start looking for the cause of this, could not find anything by goggling. any help would be great

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
As Jokila said. Or have someone else start it while holding the meter on the battery to see how low the voltage drops when you crank it.

The electronics are sensitive to low voltage and set zillions of low voltage DTCs when this happens. I'll bet if you connected a VCDS you'd find many of the processors loaded with them.

Cheers and good luck!

PH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree, start with the battery... making sure to check BOTH positive AND negative paths, if necessary all the way to the Instruments. I'd also avail yourself of the car's OBD, as the Instrument Cluster may be able to provide some clues.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Check battery, it drops from 12.3V to 9.8V when cranking and that was only turning it over for about 2 or 3 second, I have the turbo and intake manifold off right now, I would think it would drop more if it had to crank longer

As Jokila said. Or have someone else start it while holding the meter on the battery to see how low the voltage drops when you crank it.

The electronics are sensitive to low voltage and set zillions of low voltage DTCs when this happens. I'll bet if you connected a VCDS you'd find many of the processors loaded with them.

Cheers and good luck!

PH

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You need a new battery when you get it put back together / before it turns into winter. Be sure to get the correct size for your car ( group 94R / H7 or maybe group 48 / H6 - don't settle for anything less). Of course, you should get your charging system checked while you're at it.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
Yes , picked up a new battery today, I got the biggest one that would fit with the most CCA I could get and yes I will check the charging system once back together. Thanks

You need a new battery when you get it put back together / before it turns into winter. Be sure to get the correct size for your car ( group 94R / H7 or maybe group 48 / H6 - don't settle for anything less). Of course, you should get your charging system checked while you're at it.