AVOID ManTrans in Florida

Feffman

TDI
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Good Day All:

As is often quoted, “Enter at your own risk”. Do NOT send your transmission to ManTrans (www.ManTrans.net or www.ManTrans.com) in Tallahassee, Florida.

After speaking with Cindy Allen of ManTrans, I sent them a 65K mile ZF 5-speed transmission for a rebuild just to make sure it was new before installing. My American Express card was billed immediately. The transmission was delivered to their facility May 28, 2019 for what was supposed to be a 2-3 week rebuild. As you can guess, it’s now mid-October 2019 and no transmission.

The ongoing saga:
• We need one bearing to finish the rebuild (July 2, 2019)
• The transmission is completed and needs to be run on the dyno (August 8, 2019)
• I’m not sure what’s going on with it. I’ll call you back (July – October 2019)
• Transmission is finished and ready to go on the dyno today (September 9, 2019)
• Owner Darrell Moore (darrell@mantrans.com) tells me they need a bearing and a synchro (September 23, 2019)
• Owner hung up on me after I asked them to ship the transmission back to me. Long, excuse filled e-mail from owner in response to my e-mail. Taking synchro from core they have in house (September 26, 2019)
• October 1, 2019 e-mail inquiry to the owner with response: “Builder out today, I’m getting with him now to confirm”. Of course, no response three days later.
• October 7, 2019 owner says transmission shipping 10/8 or 10/9/19 after dyno run. They will send me the video of the dyno.
• October 9, 2019 “Builder out with death in family. If it doesn’t ship today. I guarantee it will tomorrow”
• October 15, 2019 phoned and left a message as well as e-mail. No bill of lading so obviously transmission isn’t done and hasn’t shipped.

American Express has reversed the charge for the rebuild, but I’ll likely never see my transmission again. I’m writing off the ZF transmission costs as part of my ongoing adult education.

Call this my mistake for at least not checking the Better Business Bureau. I don’t usually put much stock in the BBB, but I’ve never seen a “F” rating.

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/tallahassee/profile/transmission/man-trans-llc-0403-160444139

Many of us have had similar issues with other vendors. This is my experience with ManTrans. You may want to avoid them.

God knows in what condition the ZF will be returned, if it comes back at all.

Feff

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i grantee you that not one hand has touched the thing more than 3 hours of work and probably is sitting in a box or on the floor in random parts since it showed up. probably was broken and no one wants to get s-caned. there is NO way on this earth you will get this back unless you go there and demand to have it given to you with a warrant and a sheriff deputy.
I read though most of the complaints and it sounds like the typical issue your dealing with.
im amazed you let it go this far for this long.

So on the other end, the shop has been charged back for the payment they got. they know its a write off and are not going to do a dam thing about it now!

Smart move, using a CC. so many posts here about getting ripped off, when the simple solution was to charge it to a major CC and just dispute the charges.

its very easy to get on to the BBB rating, i did it for my MHIC but its only a place for people to warn others. one or 2 thats typical for a moderately sized shop, but 30 in 3 years, 20 of those in the last 12 months?? you can assume for every 1 complaint there are 10 like it that dont come forward.
NO, this place is obviously run by pot heads and thieves.

Last edited:

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
lmao never seen an F either

good on issuing a CC chargeback, I had to do that with a machine shop in Cali this summer

maybe we can mission impossible it from them overnight