Help needed! O-Ring oil chg [smaller ring] which ?

MileageDude

Veteran Member
I have a problem. I had a garage do an oil change about 7,000 miles ago. A Wal*Mart and the dude said he knew how to do it... blah, blah and blah. They installed two small O-Rings on the bottom of the canister insert, one small 0-ring on the furthest cut in and another small 0-ring was placed in another larger cut out right above it. I think they just did not remove the 0-ring and placed the new filter packaged 0-ring in another cut-out confused.

1] Which cut-out at the tip is the correct cut-out to place the small 0-ring?

a. closest to the tip
b. second grove from the tip

2] With this garage placing two 0-rings on the end, did this cause me damage to my lubrication system in any way?

M.D.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Never realized the were two cut-outs at the bottom of the oil cap. When I change my oil I just remove the O-ring on the bottom and put the new one where the old one was. It's not rocket science. Just goes to show you not to let Wally World change your oil.

No idea if two O-rings will hurt anything. But if I were you, I'd take one of them off and make sure the other one is in the right place.

MileageDude

Veteran Member

No idea if two O-rings will hurt anything. But if I were you, I'd take one of them off and make sure the other one is in the right place.
I have no idea which location on the spindle the smaller 0-Ring goes considering when I removed the spindle it had 2 small 0-Rings in place.

As stated above, there was a small 0-Ring gasket at the "tip" groove ->at the sharp pointed end of the spindle and located in a "grooved out" section. Following that 0-Ring going up there was another 0-Ring same size, a small 0-Ring placed in the wider grove 1/8th of an inch above the furthest most one.

The question I'm asking is?

Which groove does this small 0-Ring fit in or belong.

If I knew I would not be asking.

Does the small 0-Ring gasket belong in the very tip first groove or in the second groove going back toward the canister top that is wider - [1/8th of an inch up from tip].

Does anyone have a pic of the gasket placement?

Thanks

M.D.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

MD, who's got your back covered?

that second groove is much too large to hold any of the supplied o-rings.

MileageDude

Veteran Member
dieseldorf,

Thanks dude, you're the bee's knees!

Yep, Wal*Mart in Waterbury CT charged $8.00 for labor only to change the oil. I supplied the oil and filter. The guy there, head of the department said he was experienced in TDi oil changes.

Well, when I did the oil changew this week end I pulled out the canister. Actually some friends did it w/me. They took note immediately that there were two small 0-rings on the bottom shaft.

YES. The WallyWorld dudes put an 0-ring on the grooved section above the one you are seeing in your pic. So there were 2 0-rings, one in stock location and the one they placed in the wrong groove above in that wide cut-out.

Does that effect/affect anything? Any damage having them on for 7,000 miles?

Thanks again for your pic dieseldorf!

M.D.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Nice pic, dorf.

M.D., Probably didn't hurt anything since you got both small O-rings out in-tact. However, sticking an O-ring where it doesn't belong always runs the risk of breaking it and the pieces get lost in the circuit where they could cause a problem.

-Mel