2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Nice. What are your impressions of the Alltrack vs the GSW TDI?
Handling seems worse but to be expected despite the torque arm in mine vs. IRS and this being a bit taller. The seats aren't the same as my SEL, so that part takes away, and I have and like the 18's which also takes away. I'm hating the transmission but guess it will get better as it learns over some mileage. The power seems delayed and not as strong, but again, this is heavier and pulling more driveline loss.

I guess you can say I'm not liking it other than it's familiar to drive for my 80 mile round trip commute. :) The biggest difference to me is losing features but this does have the lane avoidance nannies.

dutchsher

TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI Auto, 15 Golf TDI DSG
dutchsher, how many miles on yours when you had your Phase 2 Kit A installed? What did the dealership tell you regarding when your vehicle can be brought in for Phase 2?
I dropped mine off at 26000 miles. I was at the dealer for something else and they asked me if I wanted to get it done while it was here. I said go for it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW nutured the 1.8t Alltrack with throttle control mode for "gradual over time" in search for MPG. It was stab and wait you then apply more and wait and then apply more and then finally it doubled down shift and act all stupid.

Once I changed ours over to "direct input", it was night and day. No more "turbo lag" of the tinny tinny IHI IS12 turbo (thats impossible to be laggy), she scoots and boogies when asked. I also feel more "in control" of the DSG from the go peddle.

just don't talk about MPG I've yet to break a tank over 31 MPG even with pure highway miles, gearing is just way too short IMO.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I dropped mine off at 26000 miles. I was at the dealer for something else and they asked me if I wanted to get it done while it was here. I said go for it.
I'm a little confused. You said you bought your 2015 a little over a month ago. It must have been used. You discussed previously about your experience on how the car changed after the Phase 1 work. When did you have Phase 1 work done? It had to be after you bought it, to know how it performed before Phase 1. If Phase 1 wasn't performed on your vehicle before you bought it, I would think you would be eligible for an emissions restitution claim.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
16vjohn, so you have a 2015 Jetta TDI w/42k miles (below 70k miles), and your Phase 2 fix included a new DPF? I thought manuals below 70k and DSG's below 40k were just getting a 2nd NOX sensor and a reflash, then come back later with more miles on the vehicle to get the new hardware.
Correct, yes. I didn't expect this to be the case. When I asked why, they told me original owner 2015's got a new DPF regardless of miles. There was some discussion farther up in this thread, but it got buried. Basically, we don't know if the dealer knows what they're talking about. But the bottom line is, I got a new DPF/DOC assembly and VW paid for it... so who knows.

Edit: if you're concerned about it, and you haven't gotten phase 2 yet, ask the dealer which fix will be performed. "J6" included two kits, one of the kits was the DPF assembly.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Ah, I didn't catch where you were an original owner. Understanding that part makes the entire Phase 2 set of kits installed for you make sense to me.

dutchsher

TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI Auto, 15 Golf TDI DSG
I'm a little confused. You said you bought your 2015 a little over a month ago. It must have been used. You discussed previously about your experience on how the car changed after the Phase 1 work. When did you have Phase 1 work done? It had to be after you bought it, to know how it performed before Phase 1. If Phase 1 wasn't performed on your vehicle before you bought it, I would think you would be eligible for an emissions restitution claim.
Sorry, I should have explained more. I had another mk7 Golf TDI that I sold back to Volkswagen right when the scandal came out. I also had a mk6 Jetta TDI before that one too. The Golf I currently have I purchased CPO in April.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sure, if that's what you want to believe. ;)

tdi4ty

TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI DSG
I'm new to this form (but also a long-time member of VWVortex). Just wanted to share my side of the Phase 2 fix. I have a '15 TDI Golf Sportwagen with the DSG. The car went in on 5/4/18 for Phase 2. It took them until yesterday afternoon, 5/10 to complete the fix on the wagon (according to the tech, they had multiple issues with my wagon that they kept on running into). All said and done, I received the car with no outstanding issues. Not even 10 minutes into my drive home, the check engine light came on and I lost almost all power to the vehicle. I had to limp back to the dealership and had the GM help me push the vehicle into a parking spot. I had the Phase 2 Part-B performed as my TDI is at 42,000 miles. I will note that the software update completely changed the way the DSG shifts. It was lagging behind shifts in 'D' and also held the shifts until 3100 rpms, unlike before it would shift at 2,000 rpms. I hope it is something simple, but at this point we aren't sure. I'll see what they say.

Anyone else get Phase 2 completed?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Took my dealership 4 days to complete my phase 2 fix. I was told they had some trouble removing some exhaust components and then broke one of the specialty tools and had to order a replacement. Ive had the car back for a week and have had zero issues. I honestly dont see any change in the operation or performance of the car as I did after the phase 1 fix.

I wont know if there was any real impact on MPG for a while since I had filled the tank the day before I brought it in for the fix and the trip odometer was reset when I picked it up, so there will be no hand calc this tank. However, unless there was a tweek to how the dash is calculating MPG, the Lie-O-Meter has been more or less the same as pre-phase 2 MPG.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
^
Previous two posts: This is why you wait and let others be the guinea pigs.

Depending on continued reports, I’ll decide if I even want to get Phase 2 at all. There’s no pot of money to incentivize me as a NOS purchaser.

Best of luck guys/gals.

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
^

Depending on continued reports, I’ll decide if I even want to get Phase 2 at all. There’s no pot of money to incentivize me as a NOS purchaser.

Best of luck guys/gals.
I agree with this. If I decide to get Phase 2 done, it would be closer to the extended warranty expiration of 162,000 miles, as a way to extend it another 50,000 miles :D

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I agree with this. If I decide to get Phase 2 done, it would be closer to the extended warranty expiration of 162,000 miles, as a way to extend it another 50,000 miles :D
What jonferns said^ ;-)
As of this point I'm not aware of any impending date as to when P2 has to be completed. If you have a an approved claim there is no rush. My plan is to "do it" at 70,000 miles (manual trans). Try and make it a one time event.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep. The only concern waiting that long though is that the bow wave of Phase 2 repairs will be long done and then you may have a green mechanic and parts availability issue all over again years from now.

I do like the idea of a 16 year, 222,000 mile warranty though. :p

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Yep. The only concern waiting that long though is that the bow wave of Phase 2 repairs will be long done and then you may have a green mechanic and parts availability issue all over again years from now.
I do like the idea of a 16 year, 222,000 mile warranty though. :p
Even if one were to wait until 150,000 (for me that would be ~3 years from now), you would be covered until 200k, which isn't too shabby :D

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
^
I dont think the problems were specific to me being a guinea pig because they had already done multiple phase 2 fixes prior to mine. The service parking area was loaded with 2015 TDIs when I got there. There were no more dealer loaner cars available and I was set up with a rental. The guy at the enterprise office told me that he was swamped with people from the dealership getting fixes done and the only thing he had left to give me was Nissan truck.

If I had to guess, the exhaust issue was just a cover for the fact that they hadn't gotten to my car yet because they were over booked. They were driving two TDIs into the shop while I was checking mine in.

I may have jumped the gun and missed out on some insane 16 year, 222,000 mile warranty. Honestly, I could use the money to refill my car maintenance fund. I also would hate to be put into a situation where VW loopholes out of a warranty claim because I never got he phase 2 fix. Who know, I could have made a huge mistake and those who wait walk away in a much better position.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
There’s no pot of money to incentivize me as a NOS purchaser.
Is the extended warranty conditional on having both fixes done?

And do you really get an extra warranty if you delay phase 2? That seems like a loophole that VW wouldn't have allowed. Then again, based on how poorly the settlement document was written, who knows.

Last edited:

katahdinTDI

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
The way I interpret the warranty is that it will expire after 5 years or 60,000 miles from Phase 1. You can't get to 11 years or 162,000 miles without completing Phase 2.

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the Greater of:
11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in service date;
OR
5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
The way I interpret the warranty is that it will expire after 5 years or 60,000 miles from Phase 1. You can't get to 11 years or 162,000 miles without completing Phase 2.

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the Greater of:
11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in service date;
OR
5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
You missed "...shall be the greater of"

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI

OR

Read your Phase 2 letter again, top of page 5 of 6. It's GREATER of 11 yr/162K OR 5yr/60K from date of PHASE 2 (not Phase 1).

So, just like I've said, you could wait until 10 years, 364 days and 161,999 miles on your odometer, get Phase 2, and be under warranty an additional 5 yrs/60k...

..ie. 16 years and 222,000 miles. Whichever occurs first. :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the warranty covers your entire engine, your turbo, your entire emissions system (DPF. DOC. SCR, AdBlue system), your entire fuel system (HPFP, injectors, vibration damper, all sensors, etc), your EGR system.

It's a whopper of a warranty. It also ends with the statement, "Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer."

It's a powerful document.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read your Phase 2 letter again, top of page 5 of 6. It's GREATER of 11 yr/162K OR 5yr/60K from date of PHASE 2 (not Phase 1).

So, just like I've said, you could wait until 10 years, 364 days and 161,999 miles on your odometer, get Phase 2, and be under warranty an additional 5 yrs/60k...

Actually as you stated it...

15 years 364 days or 221,999 miles. ;)

I wondered where they came up with 11 years. From Autotrader:
"Automotive Averages. In general, however, people don't really keep their cars forever. Research by R.L. Polk says that the average age of a modern vehicle is 11.4 years, while the average length of time drivers keep a new vehicle is 71.4 months -- around 6 years."

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately the Canadian warranty doesn't have the statement about conflicts.

But this is what it says about phase 2 and the warranty.

The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
- 11 years or 261,000 km, whichever occurs first, from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
- 5 years or 97,000 km, whichever occurs first, from the date
and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At
the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honoured for 5 years or 97,000
km, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.

katahdinTDI

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
You missed "...shall be the greater of"
The whole thing definitely could be written more clearly. I got the "...shall be the greater of" part. It's for the greater of 11 years/162,000 miles OR 5 years/60,000 miles from phase 1. Part 2 is only going to be greater if you had phase 1 done after 102,000 miles.

katahdinTDI

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI

Yes, potentially you could have your warranty extended beyond 162,000 miles, but only if you already had high miles (102,000+) when phase 1 was competed.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the "...shall be the greater of" part. It's for the greater of 11 years/162,000 miles OR 5 years/60,000 miles from phase 1. Part 2 is only going to be greater if you had phase 1 done after 102,000 miles.
5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000
miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.

The US settlement has similar language to teh Canadian. The bold part suggests that Blue Hen is correct.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read your Phase 2 letter again, top of page 5 of 6. It's GREATER of 11 yr/162K (from the put in service date) OR 5yr/60K from date of PHASE 1 and 2. Depends on your car and when you bought it and existing miles. Owner bought 2015 in 2015 may be different than stop sale bought in 2017. IIRC.

I fixed that for you. You could have a 2015 bought in 2015 with 161k and just got Phase 1 right before Phase 2 came out. Then in 5 years or so get Phase 2 done for another 60k miles/5 years for a total of 13 years or 282k miles (approx).

Last edited: