B4V Value?

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
OK, sorry for yet another "what's it worth" thread but I'd just like a bit of a sanity check. My B4V has been considered a total loss by the insurance company and we've been at a stalemate re. the value of the car for the past 3 months with no progress whatsoever. So, wondering if maybe I'm a bit too optimistic about its value. So, if any of you wouldn't mind rendering an opinion, I'd most appreciate it. I'm considering getting an independent appraisal but, before I spend the $350 for that, wanted to get the input from the TDi folks!

Here's what it is... 1996 B4V, 234K miles, Candy White, always maintained very well, timing belt 10K miles ago, not a speck of rust on it anywhere (had a few cosmetic spots fixed last summer), interior in good, not perfect, condition, AC marginal at present, Nokian RSi snowtires on it right now in very good shape, everything works, no history of any mechanical problems at all, very reliable.

What would you realistically think it would bring in the open marketplace?

Thanks much for your thoughts!

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
From what I've seen... Around 3k to 4k or so...
Probably closer to 3k.

Ahh... Missed the fact that it was a wagon, my bad. :)
The 4-6k numbers appear to be reasonable providing it is well maintained.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I would guess $4-$6k on the market conditions now. Did you try to find any comparable B4V TDI's that have been for sale lately?They have been few and far between-unfortunately,most insurances don't give a sh*t that it's a TDI-they want to give a price for a gasser most times. I hate saying this,but did you see if you could get any help from Nice Cars Co. in Washington state? They do seem to find B4V wagons-maybe have your insurance company talk to them.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the input. I did contact Nice Cars a while back but never got a response back from them... may try again. I have been able to find NO B4Vs for sale lately, either here, on CL, Autofinder, etc. Found a few a couple of months ago and sent info to State Farm but they pretty much just ignored it saying NADA rules.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Here's what the insurance company sees:

• 1996 B4V,
  • 234K miles,
...a 15 yr old VW with nearly a quarter million miles. What do you think their take might be :eek:

Have them find you an "equivalent" car, similar miles, etc. Keep it simple.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, I tried that approach and they said that they are not in the business of identifying or procuring replacement vehicles but, rather, paying claims according to their valuation process. In fact, we all know that there are few, if any, of these vehicles around anyway.

Here's what the insurance company sees:

...a 15 yr old VW with nearly a quarter million miles. What do you think their take might be :eek:

Have them find you an "equivalent" car, similar miles, etc. Keep it simple.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I would think part of the valuation process would have to include what is available right now and the cost of the vehicle.

Can't you tell them your neck is really starting to hurt again or something to that effect ;)

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
I would think part of the valuation process would have to include what is available right now and the cost of the vehicle.

Can't you tell them your neck is really starting to hurt again or something to that effect ;)
Yes, I and most logical people would think the same. However, State Farm maintains that NADA does all that so they don't have to. Pretty bogus IMHO but, so far, they've resisted all attempts to modify their stance. I've provided ads for similar vehicles showing substantially higher prices and their response is that "anyone can ask anything they want but that does not reflect the true value... only NADA does that." Will probably go the appraisal route but I'm a bit uncertain that an appraiser will be able to find any comps either.

Thanks for your thoughts!

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
There goes my idea of putting one of ours up for sale so you could show them the ad.... :eek:

Good luck!
Thanks for the thought but, yeah, I've shown them several ads but they dismissed them as irrelevant. One thing I do know is that I will be shopping for a new insurance company!

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Could it be repaired? I don't know the extent of damage but are they just totalling it since they place such little value in the car? Out of curiosity could you post the damage details?

There was recently a B4V TDI that someone successfully worked with their insurance as was able to get them to value it at market value and they ended up covering the repairs. The thread was maybe 2-3 months back. They successfully used Nice Cars Co. to assist insurance in recognizing the value of the vehicle. I believe Nice Cars makes some calls and gives info to help you out. You may want to make contact with them and see what they can do.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
Insurance companies will always play hardball on the values. It's a bit of a waiting game; if you are not in a hurry they will probably come around to something more reasonable.

I bought my white B4V Wagon three years ago, 200k miles, veggie oil conversion, for $7k. I overpaid because the svo system was crap (I've gone back to stock). And these older TDI have come down a bit since then. I'd still say your wagon would go for about 4-5k now.

If it's dead, can I have your right rear interior panel? Previous owner hacked mine up for the SVO.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
OK, sorry for yet another "what's it worth" thread but I'd just like a bit of a sanity check. My B4V has been considered a total loss by the insurance company and we've been at a stalemate re. the value of the car for the past 3 months with no progress whatsoever. So, wondering if maybe I'm a bit too optimistic about its value. So, if any of you wouldn't mind rendering an opinion, I'd most appreciate it. I'm considering getting an independent appraisal but, before I spend the $350 for that, wanted to get the input from the TDi folks!

Here's what it is... 1996 B4V, 234K miles, Candy White, always maintained very well, timing belt 10K miles ago, not a speck of rust on it anywhere (had a few cosmetic spots fixed last summer), interior in good, not perfect, condition, AC marginal at present, Nokian RSi snowtires on it right now in very good shape, everything works, no history of any mechanical problems at all, very reliable.

What would you realistically think it would bring in the open marketplace?

Thanks much for your thoughts!
That really sucks. After 3 months of getting nowhere on your own, you probably need to consult with a lawyer ASAP to determine what your rights are here under NH's law. Hope it works out for ya.

Also, for anyone else out there in the same situation (ie owning a tdi that is more market valuable then the book) please get a stated value insurance policy (if offered by your State). The op's circumstances are why you need it.

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
I'm in the same boat: side-swiped by a Freightliner in town by a Soviet -bloc driver from Ohio, Great-West Mutual Insurance out of NE reps. him.

Local VW dealer estimates repair @ $4300, freaked out the Insurance Corp. so they sent an "adjuster" from Chicagoland, who claims the car is "worth" about $3000 before he hits the road. Says: "We'll be in touch."

On with the great corporate insurance scams of their "Industry". Truck driver is 95% at fault, but they don't have to repair the damages according to a book's valuation and some STFU policy. Gotta love it.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Work The System

I had the same problem when my 97' B-4 was hit. Used the insurance company's low valuation to my benefit. They low balled the value so I said, "Fine, I'll take the settlement and buy it back from you for salvage value". Had it repaired buy a competent shop that tried to talk the ins. co. into letting them fix it and have driven it another 160,000+ miles. No regrets. Friend in the salvage business told me that they low ball the value but know they can get top dollar for a B-4 diesels! Remember their primary intent is to make lots of money! Good luck! The B-4's are quirky vehicles but when I bought my wife an 06' Jetta, she said "fix my Passat I like it better"!

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
I had the same problem when my 97' B-4 was hit. Used the insurance company's low valuation to my benefit. They low balled the value so I said, "Fine, I'll take the settlement and buy it back from you for salvage value". Had it repaired buy a competent shop that tried to talk the ins. co. into letting them fix it and have driven it another 160,000+ miles. No regrets. Friend in the salvage business told me that they low ball the value but know they can get top dollar for a B-4 diesels! Remember their primary intent is to make lots of money! Good luck! The B-4's are quirky vehicles but when I bought my wife an 06' Jetta, she said "fix my Passat I like it better"!
So, how does that work? Can it be different state-by-state?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
I'm in the same boat: side-swiped by a Freightliner in town by a Soviet -bloc driver from Ohio, Great-West Mutual Insurance out of NE reps. him.

Local VW dealer estimates repair @ $4300, freaked out the Insurance Corp. so they sent an "adjuster" from Chicagoland, who claims the car is "worth" about $3000 before he hits the road. Says: "We'll be in touch."

On with the great corporate insurance scams of their "Industry". Truck driver is 95% at fault, but they don't have to repair the damages according to a book's valuation and some STFU policy. Gotta love it.
So, how does that work? Can it be different state-by-state?
It absolutely is different. In Ohio, an insurance company does not have to pay for your loss of vehicle usage if the car is totaled --- which typically is defined as the repairs exceeding the value of the car. They must pay loss of use (ie provide you a rental) if the repair cost is below the value of the vehicle. In Ohio, (if your car is worth more then the book) you absolutely must have a stated value policy to avoid this problem ........

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
You retain the right to sue the other guy. They have an obligation to defend him. Send them a polite note explaining your reluctance but your intent to take legal action if this case is not settled within a specific date. Assuming you've done your homework, this should be a no brainer. Or, separate the auto damage from the personal injury and let them have the car and let them know you'll likely be seeing their client in court. If the other guy was 100% at fault and you're not trying to rape them I don't see much continued resistance if you act like you know what you're doing.

I was run over on my motorcycle once. I brought them a one page list of the value of the bike based on several sources. I also brought them a list of added accessories and catalogs to show the replacement value. I gave then a price I would settle for including waiving any future medical claims. I also said I wanted to keep the bike and would pay nothing towards the salvage value. They happily gave me a check and tried to kiss me on the lips. They assumed I just fell off the turnip truck and that I was stupid. I simply wanted a replacement motorcycle and wasn't trying to hit the insurance lottery.

It's not rocket science assuming you're not liable at all in this accident.

Last edited:

sonic reducer

TDI
1997 passat tdi
personally I would definitely pay $6k for a decent B4V and im sure there are many who would agree. you should tell the insurance company I said that. :D if you dont mind saying on here, what are they valuing it at? the last time i saw a B4V for sale private party around here (non Nice Cars :rolleyes:) was a few years ago and a total beater from i think yakima and they were asking 3k iirc but it looked like a parts car. I would REALLY like to know where I can pick up a B4V TDI for $4k.
I got my sedan in fair condition for $4k and was happy to pay that for a no rust, somewhat high miles, fairly clean, new IP, with some issues B4.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
State by State

Yes it does vary from state to state. I was able to use the State Dept. of Ins. to pressure the Ins. Co. a bit. Agaain, good luck!

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
...One thing I do know is that I will be shopping for a new insurance company!
I just changed...felt great! They lost a good customer. Three auto policies, an occasional motorcycle, plus a general liability policy. Wish my homeowners was with them too so I could have canceled that along with the rest!---------BUh-Bye Commerce!!!

On the value, I think the estimates guessed here so far are on the low side. The current market's up a bit thanks to higher fuel prices...and the fact remains that the B4V is unbeatable over all for space and fuel economy. Another B4V here went for big bucks not so long ago.

nhdude's car was in really nice shape, and would have EASILY sold for more (prior to the damage) than the insult his insurance company's offering...

-s

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
The funny thing is, I was thinking of moving to State Farm based on their higher payout on claims... They accept receipts in regards to modifications to the vehicle, but never can I get an adjuster to give me an pre-estimate before a claim is made.
The problem is, you cannot trust a company to value the vehicle the same as what you think the vehicle is worth on a regulary ho hum policy.

Arnie, the issue with stated value is that the amount changes from when you first get your policy and when the claim is made. Stated value determines premium, but when a claim is necessary, they value the vehicle at that point again and that could be 30 to 40% of what you first had it "stated" at.

What you want is an agreed value policy. This is what Grundy, Haggerty and the other classic/ exotic car insurance companies offer. State farm even has one (classic car only).

You agree to a value of $7k, if you claim a total loss, you get $7k.

There is a difference.

http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-insurance/Do-I-qualify

The issue with our vehicles is that our cars are not vintage enough for most of the companies, and they are daily drivers. Hagerty's has a modified vehicle policy that would have been perfect had it not put a mileage/daily driver clause.

We are in limbo, and do not have a company that will cover our vehicle for what we think these vehicles are worth.

Esurance will cover my b4v with full coverage and a $3k rider for a wopping $1400 a year if I remember correctly. I was valueing just vehicle not even my mods when I got the quote. No thanks! (I also don't want to be covered by esurance).

I've done some research, and if anyone else has found a company that will give an agreed value policy for a daily driver. Speak up.

Jeremy

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
personally I would definitely pay $6k for a decent B4V and im sure there are many who would agree. you should tell the insurance company I said that. :D if you dont mind saying on here, what are they valuing it at? ...
They're offering $3400. I see beater Camrys going for that here in NH!

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
They could sell 10,000 here at that price.

You've been doing this for three months? What is your end game? Tell them to get you a replacement for that cost and if they refuse, contact an attorney. Otherwise, accept their offer and move on.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

Arnie, the issue with stated value is that the amount changes from when you first get your policy and when the claim is made. Stated value determines premium, but when a claim is necessary, they value the vehicle at that point again and that could be 30 to 40% of what you first had it "stated" at.

What you want is an agreed value policy. This is what Grundy, Haggerty and the other classic/ exotic car insurance companies offer. State farm even has one (classic car only).

You agree to a value of $7k, if you claim a total loss, you get $7k.

There is a difference......
Oops, you're right and I am wrong on this :eek:.