Steady State Boost

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
I'm trying to track down a fuel mileage drop on my 2004 PD Wagon 5spd. When I first bought the car, I would reliably get 42-44mpg with my mixed 70mile commute, with my average speed at 60-65 for almost the entire trip. Now, I'm lucky to get 38. I've gone through the drivetrain, replacing bearings and brakes F&R.
After installing my boost gauge, I noticed that I typically run a steady 7-8psi at 60-65mph on flat roads. Recently however, I've noticed that pressure sometimes "hangs" around 12psi, with no real clear cause. Sometimes letting off the Cruise or throttle and getting back on it will return it to 7-8, other times it goes right back to 12.
So, for those that have guages, what do you typically see at steady cruise? Any thoughts on the weird boost activity? I was thinking it may be the actuator or the vanes are starting to get sticky (car has just under 80k). One of these days I'll pull the turbo and clean it (bought it w/50k and haven't done it yet).

Thanks!
-Lloyd

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
I just put a boost gauge on my 03 Golf last night, and cruising on flat ground I show no boost. When I come to a hill it will start to go up.
This was on back roads, I will check tonight on my way home from work
to see what it does on the highway.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
DieselCG, please do a search on "snow screen cleaning". Then find out if you have the snow screen in place. If you do, IT'S MOST LIKELY CLOGGED! Cleaning it will restore proper air flow and decrease the amount of boost necessary for a given speed. Your MPGs will come back to normal.

That was my experience, and I'm sticking to it.

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
puter said:
could also be a vacuum line leak, or a bad maf.
So everyone is saying that I shouldn't be boosting on flat roads at 50-60mph?

I don't have a snow screen, as there is not snorkle tube leading from the airbox down to the bumper. I think there may have been a minor collision before I bought it and it fell off or was damaged.

What is the best way to check for vacuum leaks? What about diagnosing the bad MAF? The only mod I've done to the car engine wise is the boost gauge and an EGR delete.

Thanks,
Lloyd

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You will get some amount of boost whenever the engine is running. The more demand on the engine, the more boost.

I personally don't think it's worth troubleshooting vacuum leaks, takes longer than it takes to just replace all the lines...and the lines will only cost you ten bucks or so.

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
puter said:
You will get some amount of boost whenever the engine is running. The more demand on the engine, the more boost.

I personally don't think it's worth troubleshooting vacuum leaks, takes longer than it takes to just replace all the lines...and the lines will only cost you ten bucks or so.
I absolutely agree with the vacuum lines. I'll poke around tonight and tomorrow and see if I can get them all swapped out.

Besides the second poster, does anyone else have a boost gauge? I'd like to know how many psi "off" I am with steady cruising. (running 8-10psi on level ground between 60-70mph).

Thanks!
-Lloyd

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
For a PD that doens't sound too far off when cruising, they run more boost than previous TDIs, that intake flapper thing and more EGR seems to be why.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I forced myself to putt around at 55 to watch the boost for you. 8-12psi depending on the grade.

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
gforce1108 said:
I forced myself to putt around at 55 to watch the boost for you. 8-12psi depending on the grade.
Thanks! I really appreciate it. That makes me feel a lot better.

Yesterday I tore into things. I checked/corrected the cam to crank timing (it was off by just a hair). I then checked the VNT actuator on the KP39. It was starting to move at just under 2in/hg and closing at 18. I adjusted it to the middle of the factory spec at 4in/hg and 19in/hg respectively. Finally, I replaced the air filter which had about 10k on it.

Overall the car seems much more responsive now, though I think it has more to do with the cam/actuator adjustments. Boost is much more stable and doesn't have the spikes to 18-19 I was getting (factory tune). It's still too early to tell what the effects will be on economy. I'll post up after a I run a full tank and let everyone know.

Thanks for all the great help and advice!

-Lloyd

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I've got a PD and at 50-60 mph on the highway (flat) I se between 3-5 psi. This is similar to the boost I had seen on my Mk 4 in the past. As soon as I let my foot off I see 0 boost then it goes right back up when I give it a little tip in. 8-12 psi at the same speed is higher that anything I've seen.

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
Bob_Fout said:
Changing the air filter with only 10K miles?

2004 TDI maintenance schedule:
http://www.vw.com/dealer/Maintenanc...TEMPLATENAME=maintenanceComplete&output=print
Just trying to rule out everything. Besides, it was an autozone special and I had a spare MANN laying around.

If this is higher than normal boost, does anyone have any other ideas? The only thing I can think of is that there is some driveline drag I'm not considering. I've replaced brakes, rotors and bearings at all four corners. I've drained and replaced the manual tranny fluid with the latest VW spec.

ThoughtS? :confused:

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I fixed a whole lot of little boost leaks by replacing all the orings from the turbo to the intake manifold. I used larger ones (napa 1108)for all but the smaller two near the turbo - those I bought new from VW.

I still show boost even when coasting in gear. Somewhere around 3-4psi coasting at 60mph.

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
gforce1108 said:
I fixed a whole lot of little boost leaks by replacing all the orings from the turbo to the intake manifold. I used larger ones (napa 1108)for all but the smaller two near the turbo - those I bought new from VW.

I still show boost even when coasting in gear. Somewhere around 3-4psi coasting at 60mph.
I've replaced all but the two smaller ones you mentioned. Do you happen to have the part number for those?

Thanks!
-Lloyd

DieselCG

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5spd
LessIsMore said:
Pull that EGR valve and make sure it moves freely and closes tight.
I've got the EGR blocked off at the turbo outlet and at the upper intake pipe. Should I still pull it?

Thanks!

LessIsMore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
DieselCG said:
I've got the EGR blocked off at the turbo outlet and at the upper intake pipe. Should I still pull it?

Thanks!
Somehow I got the impression that we were talking about a stock BEW setup, and a hanging EGR is detrimental to MPG and performance in that case. But no, your EGR is now doing nothing but plug holes in the IM, which I'm sure you know perfectly well.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
DieselCG said:
I've replaced all but the two smaller ones you mentioned. Do you happen to have the part number for those?

Thanks!
-Lloyd
I don't think I have the number anymore. I took a trip into the dealer to find them. They have a weird description so don't be surprised by the listing the dealer might have.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
DieselCG

I just found this thread. My 2004 Golf has boost numbers like your's, but no drop in mileage, still getting 42-46 MPG.

Did you ever find anything to correct?

DieselCG said:
Just trying to rule out everything. Besides, it was an autozone special and I had a spare MANN laying around.

If this is higher than normal boost, does anyone have any other ideas? The only thing I can think of is that there is some driveline drag I'm not considering. I've replaced brakes, rotors and bearings at all four corners. I've drained and replaced the manual tranny fluid with the latest VW spec.

ThoughtS? :confused: