Driver heated seat problems 2012

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Recent purchase of a 2012 Jetta TDI sedan ("fix" applied), and with colder weather we have discovered that driver seat won't heat. Passenger side works fine. I did quick diagnostic and tested continuity on the seat base wires (Brown & Black/Yellow), which says it is not broken.

Basic observation also has the dash switch "working", with 3, 2 or 1 lights lit depending on how many pushes. I have connected Carista into OBD and received some vendor codes that Google cannot seem to get hits on. Let me list what I see, and maybe someone can suggest where to look next. Maybe second and third are NOT related of course:

(1) 03984 "left front heated seat"
(2) 03933 "Manufacturer-specific code"
(3) 03934 "Manufacturer-specific code"

Now, maybe some other issues may help zone in on the actual problem. The outside mirrors also do not seem to heat. Yes, it is winter here and I do have the mirror knob set on "heat" position. Next, yes I have checked the fuse for the seats (I think it was #50, 30a).

Thanks for any help for driver seat heat (or mirror heat)... it's cold on leather seats in Ontario in January!!!!!

Last edited:

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
BUMP...

I was hoping Oilhammer or IndigoBlue may have experience with this, or at least ability to get more info on those particular VAG codes... other than dropping the car at the dealer, I don't have any avenue to investigate other than start at ground zero.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Try the Ontario forums to see if someone can run a vagcom scan

brooksy

TDI
2012 jetta Highline
Recent purchase of a 2012 Jetta TDI sedan ("fix" applied), and with colder weather we have discovered that driver seat won't heat. Passenger side works fine. I did quick diagnostic and tested continuity on the seat base wires (Brown & Black/Yellow), which says it is not broken.

Basic observation also has the dash switch "working", with 3, 2 or 1 lights lit depending on how many pushes. I have connected Carista into OBD and received some vendor codes that Google cannot seem to get hits on. Let me list what I see, and maybe someone can suggest where to look next. Maybe second and third are NOT related of course:

(1) 03984 "left front heated seat"
(2) 03933 "Manufacturer-specific code"
(3) 03934 "Manufacturer-specific code"

Now, maybe some other issues may help zone in on the actual problem. The outside mirrors also do not seem to heat. Yes, it is winter here and I do have the mirror knob set on "heat" position. Next, yes I have checked the fuse for the seats (I think it was #50, 30a).

Thanks for any help for driver seat heat (or mirror heat)... it's cold on leather seats in Ontario in January!!!!!
Hi, what was the fix? I have a 2012 Jetta with same problem.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
In the end it was a failed/broken heating element in the base of the seat. I was able to locate the wiring connectors under the seat, pull them apart and check for resistance. There are several differnt things that are wired under the seat, so it is best to get the wiring colors determiend to know which connector you have to check. I bought the seat base heating element and stripped the cover off the seat base to replace the old element. It is now working perfectly, and in a diesel in winter... that is a good thing! I can relate to you Winnipeg winters, so it is worth it to get heat working again!

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have cloth or leather seats? They might have different seat base elements/part #. For leather, the VW part# is 5c6-963-555-T and dealer price a year ago was around $C 135.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
My kids 2014 Jetta TDI has the exact same issue. Now it just trying to find the correct wiring harness colours to figure it out.