Electrify America (VW) Commercial

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, part of the wrist slapping from Dieselgate. They also bought a bunch of new buses for our area schools.... that are diesel powered. :p

My Facebook feed is chock full of stuff like that, I just add to the comments asking when the diesels will be back, and post pictures of odometers with over 300k miles showing. :eek:

The dumb thing is, Volkswagen only has the eGolf on offer here, and just in certain areas, and it is a pretty lackluster EV overall.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier

Erick Belmer's 2012 Volt "Sparkie" just hit 450,000 miles.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

Erick Belmer's 2012 Volt "Sparkie" just hit 450,000 miles.

Wow, 32 miles range on a FULL charge. Not even enough to drive to the mall and back.
In my case I drive about 3,000 miles every fall to my winter destination and back in the spring.
How long would that take in a VOLT or any other electric vehicle?:confused:
My TDI does it in 4 1/2 days at approx. 600 miles per driving day!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow, 32 miles range on a FULL charge. Not even enough to drive to the mall and back.
In my case I drive about 3,000 miles every fall to my winter destination and back in the spring.
How long would that take in a VOLT or any other electric vehicle?:confused:
My TDI does it in 4 1/2 days at approx. 600 miles per driving day!
You do realize that a Volt also has a gasoline engine, so you can just drive and drive and drive as far as you want, as long as there are gas stations, right? Your trip would take just as long in a Volt as it does in your TDI, but if you plugged it in at your overnight stops, over 120 miles of your total driving would have been on electricity.

32 miles of EV range on a full charge is pretty good for a 7+ year old Volt with nearly a half million miles on it on the original battery pack. They only had about 40 miles brand new (it's a guess-o-meter, so displayed range can vary based on temperature and recent driving history). A new Volt has closer to 60 miles of EV range and better fuel efficiency on gasoline.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've seen the commercial three times tonight, already.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
What about natural disasters /evacuations? Nothing is better than a diesel.

I have lived along the Gulf Coast, and Southeastern Atlantic coast of South Carolina, My criteria for buying a car was solidified YEARS ago when I had to participate in a hurricane evacuation. Diesel is the way to go.

Maybe not hurricane evacuations, but what about in Canada 2-3 years ago when a fire wiped out Ft McMurry? EVERYONE was forced to evacuate.

It took 12 hours to travel from Charleston S.C to Columbia SC during Hurricane Hugo. It's normally a 2 hour drive. But when everyone evacuates from the coast in a 2 day period, traffic moves at 10 mph for hundreds of miles

Hurricane Ivan forced evacuations from Florida's peninsula all the way through the Gulf coast. MILLIONS of people on the road during that one from Houston to Tampa as we all scrambled inland to get away from a Cat 5 storm. Ever see the Southbound lanes on an interstate during a hurricane evacuation? EVERY lane on both sides of the median is moving inland. 4-6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye can see. All those people are ahead of you for gas, food and a place to stay.
Oops... There's no where to stay. Gotta keep driving. Along with everyone else.

For those who evacuated, evacuations were complicated by gas stations running out of gasoline, full hotels, full rest stops, closed restaurants, etc. Think you're going to make it 250 miles inland to get unleaded gas? Guess again. Every station ran out yesterday when the first 300,000 people beat you out of town and they can't get trucks to the area, all the interstates are in emergency inland only mode.
Electric vehicle? Good luck making it to a charging location. You can always bring an extension cord, wait-- you'll have to buy a $500 Evanex adapter pack, so you can plug into 4 different types of wall plugs. Hopefully you'll find one that will allow you to park within 25 feet- the length of your extension cord with super-heavy-duty rated amperage. Don't worry, after a 12 hour charge you'll have 132 miles of "range". Unless you use your wipers, lights, and AC. or move slower than 60 mph. You might as well go inland for 150 miles and just park in a Walmart parking lot and hope that you've picked a place where a tornado wont touch down.

Oh well, everyone will go home in 3 days when it passes. Every power line within 200 miles of the coast is down. And even buried power lines are turned off by the power company because so many lines are down to save whatever transformers are still functional.
Your gasoline powered car can go 270 miles in bumper to bumper traffic before needing gas? uh oh.

For me- I'll keep my TDI's.
Even if Im not evacuating from a hurricane, someday I might be part of some mass-evacuation for something.
By the way-- Isn't the Super-Volcano under Yellowstone getting more and more active?
Hmmmm.. I better top off my tank. :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not surprised they picked the Bolt to boost. Not a great looking car, and sales are slumping with increasing availability of the model 3. Yet being American made probably satisfies some requirement of the deal.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Unless you live in Charlotte where they shut the pipelines down for incoming fuel days before the hurricane is supposed to hit exactly at this spot on the Gulf. Everything is in short to no supply and diesel is the last thing started back up.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Unless you live in Charlotte where they shut the pipelines down for incoming fuel days before the hurricane is supposed to hit exactly at this spot on the Gulf. Everything is in short to no supply and diesel is the last thing started back up.
I disagree. All heavy equipment used in road repair etc is diesel. They had the weight enforcement people finding tankers of diesel after Katrina and guiding them in. In many gas stations diesel was the only tank that had fuel remaining. Most farms and contractors had their own reserve tanks and didn't compete with light transportation. Charlotte is the exception that doesn't prove the rule. Stupidity is not universal. Lack of electric power to run the fuel pumps is typically a far bigger problem along with damaged roads and bridges.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most of the heavy equipment places also have their own fuel storage tanks and pumps. If the city had to, they would have pulled fuel from the school bus depot. That doesn't help the average consumer though. I know Charlotte was the exception but those cases where the pipeline is shutdown effect all of the Carolinas, parts of Georgia, and parts of the Virginias. I've lived through both types of situations here, You could get gas but not diesel, or you could get diesel but not gas.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
When Florida was evacuated for Irma the Teslas did better getting out than non-EVs because the gas stations were dry. In NJ after Superstorm Sandy EVs were once again the better option in a lot of areas because electricity was easier to get than gasoline. I added an AC coupled off-grid inverter so I'll be able to charge my car from solar if the grid is down for an extended period of time.

Harvey was a great example of what happens when everyone gets worried about fuel...

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
In SW Florida after the hurricane last year power was out for one to two WEEKS. In Collier County they set up a fueling and dispatch center for the utility trucks at an abandoned big box store at CR951 and I-75 and had tractor-trailer tanker rigs lined up to keep the utility trucks fueled. A TDI with a full tank and a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel just in case could have gotten you anywhere you needed to go even with a few hours of idling to charge batteries a day until the power came back on. Electric cars? Sorry, once the battery runs down your dead!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's assuming that your solar panels are still attached to your still standing house.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I have seen the many times I have been there, "properly installed" isn't the same there as it is here.
When were you there? The racking equipment they use now is much easier to install correctly. That wasn't true ~5 years ago. Even with shoddy installations survival of the systems wasn't the issue. Most people didn't think ahead to install a system able to operate off-grid. This is much easier now with new inverters. If your roof survived... the panels would probably survive...

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
2 or 3 times a year up until the hurricane hit. Visit and cruise out of there a lot. Seen a lot of shoddy electrical work there. Major cities not as bad, but even some in some parts of San Juan.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Ya, and your Beetle is totally going to be driving across that too :confused: Oh and with the fuel station being out of power the pumps will run on what?
Well I never made any claims my Beetle was going anywhere. So what is your point again?

Besides I am one of the people who would evacuate early like you are supposed to, if possible. I have the resources and family/friends in varied locations around the US.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When Sandy hit here, it took the gas stations out, too and the ones that were pumping had half mile long lines that clogged up all the roads.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When Houston was evacuating lots of traffic came through here (Austin) draining the supply. I had filled with diesel (early) my cars and truck (with a 100 gallon transfer tank) to insure my own fuel supply. Wasn't really needed as they caught up in a few days, but better prepared than not.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Electric vehicle? Good luck making it to a charging location. You can always bring an extension cord, wait-- you'll have to buy a $500 Evanex adapter pack, so you can plug into 4 different types of wall plugs. Hopefully you'll find one that will allow you to park within 25 feet- the length of your extension cord with super-heavy-duty rated amperage. Don't worry, after a 12 hour charge you'll have 132 miles of "range". Unless you use your wipers, lights, and AC. or move slower than 60 mph. You might as well go inland for 150 miles and just park in a Walmart parking lot and hope that you've picked a place where a tornado wont touch down.

Oh well, everyone will go home in 3 days when it passes. Every power line within 200 miles of the coast is down.
The power doesn't go out until the storm hits. If you're smart, you'll evacuate before the storm hits, not during. Tesla's Supercharger network was working all up and down the coast during the major storm last year up until the bitter end.

Then, because Superchargers are powered from the main grid rather than smaller neighborhood feeders, power gets restored much more quickly. The Key West Supercharger was up and working again a few days after the storm, even before people were allowed to return home.

Depending on the model, Teslas have a range of 210 to 335 miles at highway speeds. Newer models can add as much as 300 miles of range in about an hour (normal stops are about 200 miles in 30 minutes ... charging to full takes a bit longer). Keep in mind that crawling along in slow traffic increases your range, which is the opposite of a fossil fuel car, which gets less range just idling along in traffic.

Regarding $500 worth of adapters, that's completely unnecessary. The most common ones are NEMA 14-50 (which can be modified to work on NEMA 14-30 by removing the unused neutral pin), NEMA 5-15 (regular wall plug) and the standard J-1772 EV charging connector. Most modern EVs come with all of these standard. You can build other adapters yourself for about $25 each.

When Florida was evacuated for Irma the Teslas did better getting out than non-EVs because the gas stations were dry. In NJ after Superstorm Sandy EVs were once again the better option in a lot of areas because electricity was easier to get than gasoline. I added an AC coupled off-grid inverter so I'll be able to charge my car from solar if the grid is down for an extended period of time.
Harvey was a great example of what happens when everyone gets worried about fuel...
Natural disasters see a major rush on fuel stations. Traffic jams from evacuations block up the fuel supply chain, so once a station runs out, it can be a very long time before they get resupplied. An EV can charge just about anywhere.

In SW Florida after the hurricane last year power was out for one to two WEEKS. In Collier County they set up a fueling and dispatch center for the utility trucks at an abandoned big box store at CR951 and I-75 and had tractor-trailer tanker rigs lined up to keep the utility trucks fueled. A TDI with a full tank and a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel just in case could have gotten you anywhere you needed to go even with a few hours of idling to charge batteries a day until the power came back on. Electric cars? Sorry, once the battery runs down your dead!
Battery runs down, you're dead. Fuel tank runs out, you're dead. Not much difference. An electric car can be charged from any plug, solar panels, a generator, or even by dragging it around with another vehicle. In a disaster situation, I think you have more options with a long range electric vehicle than you do relying on someone to bring you fossil fuels. You can also use a plug-out kit or an inverter to power essential items in your home similar to a generator. A 75 kWh battery would power my entire home for 3 days. If I rationed my energy usage, it would power my home for an entire week. My Fiat would be a different story since it only has a 24 kWh battery with about 84 miles of range. I certainly wouldn't be using it in an emergency evacuation situation, but I'll absolutely use our soon-to-be Model 3. A full charge will get us a full 300 miles from home before needing more juice, even in stop and go traffic.

That said, diesel is definitely a better evacuation option than gasoline. Gas supplies tend to run out first and diesel supplies tend to last longer since there are fewer diesel vehicles on the road.

Last edited:

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
You 'lectric car fanboys have forgotten how little power a solar array puts out and how much it takes to charge an electric dependent car. Real cost of solar is around $15/watt after figuring capacity factor, so the typical "sized to the tax write off" home system will give you about a kilowatt. That means after a couple days of sunny weather you'll manage a recharge, assuming your solar array survived. Takes a TDI owner about 10 minutes to pour a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel in the tank and we're good for another 400 miles!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You 'lectric car fanboys have forgotten how little power a solar array puts out and how much it takes to charge an electric dependent car. Real cost of solar is around $15/watt after figuring capacity factor, so the typical "sized to the tax write off" home system will give you about a kilowatt. That means after a couple days of sunny weather you'll manage a recharge, assuming your solar array survived. Takes a TDI owner about 10 minutes to pour a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel in the tank and we're good for another 400 miles!
You're really just revealing your ignorance regarding photovoltaic systems. They come in all sizes and capacities. Their up front costs get amortized over a useful life of 25+ years. The og tdi crowd was all about efficiency. Hard to beat the efficiency of photovoltaics and EV's. Like it or not, it's the future.