EGR question

Izaak

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Alright guys, big question. I want to get rid of my EGR, because I've heard many pros happen if you do. I found this link, is it reliable? Will it throw error codes? Let me know what you guys would do differently or what you have done. Thanks!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
With today’s fuel Low sulfur, the EGR oil mix issue is not as big as it used to be. Our MK3's were 15 years old and with 200K on them when the fuel changed. This is why we did it. If your low mileage, (under 100K) then your fine. Our MK3's had integrated EGR valves and was impossible to replace unless you got the entire manifold. Now you can change just the valve. Unless you’re going for power gains or have other SPECIFIC reasons for doing so, don’t. Just clean the intake and EGR valve properly if it’s dirty. Move on.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Also, Iowa winter warm-ups will be quicker and the cabin will heat sooner
with a functioning EGR. Keep it as long as there are no leaks.
If you ever get a tune, the EGR function can be modified by the program, too.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
You will get a CEL if you remove the EGR without getting a tune. I did delete mine with a tune, but I live in Louisiana, so extreme cold is not really an issue. Also, some people report a slight MPG loss when deleting the EGR. I got the Malone Eco tune with EGR delete and Dynamic Idle. Seems like I lost a couple MPG's even with an eco tune. It's your call, though. Just weigh all the pros and cons.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Can it still just be dialed back with VCDS as well? I will go along with today's fuel is much better and not much need for this any more. The drawbacks vs benefits have changed now and not much to be gained from the delete any more.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
If you delete the EGR you will no longer have exhaust gases recirculating to warm the motor, if it isn't at operating temperature, or takes longer to get there, you'll get worse fuel economy and increase engine wear. This is why a dynamic EGR tune was developed, the eco tune is also designed as a $50 add on for someone looking to do deletes, it isn't more economical than any other file. Pump timing is vital for optimal running conditions. I personally picked up about 15 miles/tank on my PD deleting the EGR, it rarely drops below freezing here but I'm still considering reinstalling and running it dynamically just for the sake of better warm up times and emissions.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have THREE 2000 Golfs (ALHs). All have their stock EGR bits. All have had intakes and such cleaned. All have Malone stage 2 tunes w/Dynamic EGR. I have the utmost confidence that I will never again have to clean an intake on any of these cars (no expectations that I'll ever again sense any decrease in performance due to clogging): one car has 212k miles; one had 204k miles; third one has 165k miles. ALL average 50+mpg and run extremely well.