Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
From the Strosberg site, June 27 update:

"If the Parties reach a settlement, the terms of the settlement will be made public."

No settlement, no announcement. I and many others thought today was the deadline for a settlement. In fact it was the deadline to update the court, which apparently has been done. There is no time frame or deadline that I can find for a settlement.

When people want information and it is not forthcoming, human nature is to speculate. I speculate that since there is no settlement, the Canadian settlement is not the same as the US settlement, and will probably not be as good for us (affected owners).

It's probably not fair to be angry at VW alone for the lack of information, as there are two (or more?) parties to any agreement.
QR

We have every reason to be angry at VW. They are the ones who caused this situation in the first place...and it has been over ten months with next to no communication, and no resolution...while we continue to pay for on-going maintenance for cars that we may not be able to keep for the long term.

We all have a serious risk of taking a major loss if someone were to rear end us, and our insurance writes off the car based on current Canadian market values, which have been depressed because of VW's fraud.

It is VW who gave Canadian customers about ~$300 less of goodwill than US customers.

It is VW who was able to tell their US customer what their plan was to buy-back their cars. I'm certain if the Canadian settlement was to be equal to the US settlement, the negotiations wouldn't be taking this long.

We should all be very mad at VW right now. :mad:

GigaFire

TDI
2012 CW Golf
Well, this is a slap in the face of consumers who expected public information today. Score one for the passiveness of the Canadian court system. It could be another year before we see anything based on their track record.

Welp, I'm out until something comes up.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
Started a new hashtag on Twitter: #DoneWithVW.

Edit: apparently that tag already exists...lol.

Last edited:

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Absolutely disgusting! I can't even imagine how you guys who want to move away from VW feel.
I've been defending VW all this time, I am not buying anything else and in fact I got another TDI. And yet, how this whole thing in Canada is being dealt with, makes me sick
You'll laugh when I say this, but I hate how much I like my Passat: if I didn't like it at all I think things would be a lot easier...if that makes any sense.

You got an A6 TDI? Man, that must be a nice car...the A6s look sweet.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Don't forget it is the Canadian Class Action Lawyers that are working on our behalf to get the best settlement possible (means more money for them too).
They may be the ones holding things up if VW is not playing ball.
Due to the gag order nothing can be released until both VW AND the Lawyers are satisifed and come to an agreement.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Well that felt like such a kick in the junk. Can't believe we've been waiting to hear some news today and got nothing.

And an extra kick in the junk knowing that in the US they've already approved the buyback and we're still in the dark. I feel like a few others here. If they're dragging this much after the US is already settled, they're probably trying to find a way to do a fix and not any buyback.

I'm done with VW. Getting a non-VAG car soon and will park the Jetta in a garage. And I get what you mean Bahamut - truly enjoyed these VWs, I do like the cars and the brand quite a bit, so it hurts even more.

Well, at least it was fun today with all the comments and gifs :)

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't forget it is the Canadian Class Action Lawyers that are working on our behalf to get the best settlement possible (means more money for them too).
They may be the ones holding things up if VW is not playing ball.
Due to the gag order nothing can be released until both VW AND the Lawyers are satisifed and come to an agreement.
True, very true: if they were rational they would be demanding equal standing as compared to the settlement in the U.S. which is truly what I believe they're after. I'm also sure that VW is not playing ball is the reason its being held up right now.

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
True, very true: if they were rational they would be demanding equal standing as compared to the settlement in the U.S. which is truly what I believe they're after. I'm also sure that VW is not playing ball is the reason its being held up right now.
That is the only rational reason this is taking so long. VW has already set that precedent with the goodwill cards. Just like those, we will probably end up getting ~70% of the US settlement. And every car that get totaled between now and then is one less they have to buy-back. VW has no incentive to settle this quickly

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
I'm certain if the Canadian settlement was to be equal to the US settlement, the negotiations wouldn't be taking this long.
Sounds right to me. So being the optimist, "we're getting a better deal than the US!"
I thought that the Canadians were waiting for the US judge's stamp of approval this week that the settlement could go ahead and once that was out of the way, the Canadian one would be signed.

Enjoy your weekend everyone! I'm changing the fuel filter on Gunther (my Passat) tomorrow. I figure I'll have it much longer than I thought this am.

Darkone

TDI
'15 A8L TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI
You'll laugh when I say this, but I hate how much I like my Passat: if I didn't like it at all I think things would be a lot easier...if that makes any sense.

You got an A6 TDI? Man, that must be a nice car...the A6s look sweet.
I know the feeling, love my passat too!

And yes I got A6 3.0L TDI. I was holding and hopping for the GTD, that prior to dieselgate was supposed to be available now as a 2017 model. So the plan was to get GTD next year or early 2018.
Dieselgate messed up those plans. I did't want anything else but diesel and came across this A6 that was driven by Audi Canada Corporate office with just 2100 km on odometer.
My fear was that these will not be available for sale ever again and that this was the last chance to get one. It was as new as you could get to, considering stop sale order . And it was ~$25K less than new.

Last edited:

chachee

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Sounds right to me. So being the optimist, "we're getting a better deal than the US!"
I like your optimism. :)
At this point, that is what must happen for a VW to ever have a chance of parking in my driveway again...and I was a huge VW fan/advocate before this. I even talked my neighbour into buying a Passat TDI a couple of years ago. Whoops! :eek:

CV-GSW

TDI
2015 GSW TDI
sounds right to me. So being the optimist, "we're getting a better deal than the us!"
i thought that the canadians were waiting for the us judge's stamp of approval this week that the settlement could go ahead and once that was out of the way, the canadian one would be signed.

+1....

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
I like your optimism. :)
At this point, that is what must happen for a VW to ever have a chance of parking in my driveway again...and I was a huge VW fan/advocate before this. I even talked my neighbour into buying a Passat TDI a couple of years ago. Whoops! :eek:
I gave my 2007 Jetta 2.5 to my father as a gift (250,000kms on it) and he turned around the next day and drove to Florida with it. On the way back, he did a 12+ hr drive straight without any problems in the car whatsoever. Like you, I have advocated VW products in the past.

tdegeld

TDI
2012 Golf 4 Dr Comfortline TDI
http://fortune.com/2016/07/29/volkswagen-california-diesel-cars/

There's another possibility for the delay: just speculation right now, because that's all we can actually do, but perhaps they've told the court that a fix is under evaluation right now which would help them avoid buybacks altogether here.
Some may disagree, but as far as I'm concerned if they figure out a fix now it should be completely irrelevant to the settlement and required buybacks. Being able to implement a fix now doesn't erase the fact that VW knowingly defrauded consumers for years, and would not have worked so hard to find this fix had they not been busted in the first place.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Some may disagree, but as far as I'm concerned if they figure out a fix now it should be completely irrelevant to the settlement and required buybacks. Being able to implement a fix now doesn't erase the fact that VW knowingly defrauded consumers for years, and would not have worked so hard to find this fix had they not been busted in the first place.
One correction to this: "...would not have worked at all to find this fix had they not been busted in the first place." :)

JohnNS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Pretty much my thinking too. Add to that the time to have to in place? Could be another half year for anyone knows, and that's IF the EPA/CARB approves it - plus add the 2 month "Canada" delay we seem to have

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Lmfao! We wait for this date to hear what's going on and they give us that sharty update. At least these azz hats didn't give us another empty date......

That gif with the box is what we got.

Now I understand why people want to sabotage thier cars before handing it in.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
I have a stupid question.. they are talking about ontario class action.. do they represent Canada or only Ontario? how does that work

please explain so that a 4 years old can understand.. you can put colour and emojis.. (at least it will be fun to read)