Radio Anti-Theft Code, where to find it?

Weasle543

Veteran Member
TDI
98 blue & 03 grey Jetta, 96 green Passat
I was reading through my Bentley Manual the other night and came across the Anti-Theft code information for the Radio. It tells you how to re-enter the correct code, but doesn't tell you how to find out what it is. It seems quite important to have this, due to the fact that Radio will lock up when the battery is disconnected.

Anyone know how to retrive this code? Is it on a sticker somewhere?

------------------
Weasle
'98 Jetta

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Mine was on a little black plastic strip inside of a little clear plastic slipcase. The salesman handed it to me with the owner's manual. It has four digits.

Two incorrect attempts entering it and the radio locks you out for an hour before you can try again. Be careful!

It took me two hours to get my radio working after installing the Mikro-Audio system. The manual says you have to have the key in the ignition before you enter the code. For me, it only worked after I started the car, then entered the code.

Very frustrating, but I guess that's the point - frustrate theives.

BigAl

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 99.5, Green
FYI: The dealer can punch in the serial # of your radio and get the code from the VW online data base. Call your VW service rep. for info.

------------------
99 Jetta TDI (A4)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The dealer pulled my radio to retrieve the code from a sticker on the exterior of the radio case.
What a way to reduce the incidence of theft! "Attention thieves! The radio needs a code to operate! Code included where you can see it easily once the radio is out!"
p.s. The dealer left the sticker right where it was found.

------------------
3.5 liter Passat
"Lupo? I don't need no stinking Lupo!"

erickimb

Veteran Member
I had my radio out when I installed my CD Player but I didn't notice the radio code on the back of the radio, that has got to be the stupidest anti theft deterrent ever, put the code to operate a piece of stolen property on the back of it. ***.

BigAl

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 99.5, Green
Your actual code is not, (should not) be that sticker on your radio. That number is the number that the dealer inputs into the VW data base to find your code. If a stolen radio gets checked by the dealer, they get an alert. I had my code read on one of the free services.

------------------
99 Jetta TDI (A4)

SlowSpeed

Veteran Member
When I was at the dealer to fix the keys, I mentioned that the key code and radio code were not written into the VW Documentation/Manuals, as is required for the delivery.

The Service Manager opened the trunk and picked up the trunk liner and showed me a sticker on the spare wheel storage cover, which he said has the radio code....

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
The 4 digit radio code is in the radio section of the manual. It is on a perforated corner of a page, so that you can remove it easily from the manual, but still keep the manual in the car. Since there isn't anything really critical in the radio section, I removed the entire section from the manual and stored it in a safe place.

Now if I could only remember where that safe place is.....