how did they get this car registered in the US?

arnard

TDI
2000 NB GLS
My guess is that it might be a military car. Certain military personnel are allowed to import their car with them when the return to the states. I am guessing that is how the car got here and is registerable.

bakerinva

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 "Special Edition" Jetta TDI
What grinds my gears is in Europe they can actually get a manual tranny Passat TDI!!! If you requested a new Passat TDI here in the US with a manual transmission, the dealer would look at you like a dog that has heard a strange sound!

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
They have been trying to sell this car on Craigs list for quite a while.

For over $40,000

Want to guess what the "reserve not met and never will be" amount is?

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
Unless someone writes a check for this car there is no bank in the US that will finance a $40,000+ Passat.

How about insuring this ride...In case this car gets totaled one would get market value payout.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
And the bidding has ended on Ebay. If only there was no reserve, the lucky high bidder would have had to pay......$18,101

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
arnard said:
My guess is that it might be a military car. Certain military personnel are allowed to import their car with them when the return to the states. I am guessing that is how the car got here and is registerable.
ANY military personell can ship a car home if they can afford it. It must be federalized and inspected upon entry, however. Looks like this one meets those criteria.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Green Car Co

Given that this car is located in kKrkland, WA., I would venture to guess that this is a Green Car Co. vehicle for sale. There have been numerous discussions about this company's operation on the boards. Do a search.

They probably have it priced at a figure well north of 24K.

Anyone in the Seattle area want to swing by the place and check it out?

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
Not to side track this thread, but a while ago there was a Euro Spec TDI 4 door Golf wagen, I think a 1995 that was brought over here by a military person. The seller was on vwvortex.com, The seller was having problems selling the car becaues a non-military person could not title the car in their state. If I find the car I will post it if someone is intrested...

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
As has been mentioned, how in the hayche, eeee, double-hockey-sticks are you going to insure this thing for anywhere near that price???

Boy it sure would be fun to take it into the dealer and watch the service writer's head explode as they enter the VIN into their computer system, though! :D

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
If you pay cash (which in this case you have too) then you don't have to worry about insurace problems and you can get liability :D insurance and pray nobody will hit you.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
dariod said:
If you pay cash (which in this case you have too) then you don't have to worry about insurace problems and you can get liability :D insurance and pray nobody will hit you.
I do not doubt there is a full that will do excatly that...

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
Someone has a rare car & wants to make a killing. People with an available house line of credit could buy it. However, they might have difficulty finding an insurance company to insure it at a stated value. Also, its value will fall like a rock, assuming they want $40,000 for it, once the new 50 state TDIs go on sale.

2002-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 tdi jetta
William J Toensing said:
Someone has a rare car & wants to make a killing. People with an available house line of credit could buy it. However, they might have difficulty finding an insurance company to insure it at a stated value. Also, its value will fall like a rock, assuming they want $40,000 for it, once the new 50 state TDIs go on sale.
Actually Bill they don't want to make a killing. And if VW sells a 4Motion TDI Passat Wagon would you give me a call ? I own a 04 Passat TDI and would _love_ 4Motion - I owned 2 Range Rovers with all time 4WD and you can not believe the security/safety even in just rainy weather, let alone light snow.

A current 4Motion TDI in England costs around $50,000 and gives close to 40 mpg. They are asking 75% the cost of that.
Who here is selling their 04 Passat wagons for under $16,000 ... anyone ... anyone. Nobody is. And that would be about what the difference might be.
You would be lucky to find an 04 Jetta wagon for $16K.

If you can get one over here from Germany or England ... have at it and start up a business.

Not everybody fits into a Jetta or Golf - my daughters play Cello and Bass and that car would rock for us.

2002-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 tdi jetta
redmondjp said:
As has been mentioned, how in the hayche, eeee, double-hockey-sticks are you going to insure this thing for anywhere near that price???

Boy it sure would be fun to take it into the dealer and watch the service writer's head explode as they enter the VIN into their computer system, though! :D
I called my dealer with the VIN - they didn't even blink - nobody looks at where the cars were made. The Passat Wagons are all made oversees anyway.

AUDIous

TDI
trying to buy 1
this is technacly not a real car, the 4th 5th and 6th digit of the vin are all z. this means it is a car allowed in the country for testing purposes and must be crushed when the time the government allowed the car to be here has run out. so my guess is thats not the correct vin for the car.

Notacop

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/DSG
I emailed them about licensing, registering, etc.

Never got a response back.

In a perfect world I could go buy a TDI/4Motion/DSG right off the showroom floor for 40K or less in either a mid/large sedan or midsize suv.... keeping my fingers crossed but not seeing any indication of this coming (not in the US at least...)

This had the TDI/4Motion part down, but not worth the cash. At the 18k it ended at? Probably. At 20k? Maybe. 40k+? No thanks.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Notacop said:
I emailed them about licensing, registering, etc.

Never got a response back.

In a perfect world I could go buy a TDI/4Motion/DSG right off the showroom floor for 40K or less in either a mid/large sedan or midsize suv.... keeping my fingers crossed but not seeing any indication of this coming (not in the US at least...)

This had the TDI/4Motion part down, but not worth the cash. At the 18k it ended at? Probably. At 20k? Maybe. 40k+? No thanks.
If someone spent the money to make this car legal they spent in the $10-15k above purchase price to make it legal . So to this person a $40k price is pretty accurate as to money spent so is the value in their eyes . Only one of it's kind of makes the value in the eyes of the beholder ..