car dies with 10amp fuse in really need help

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
I need to know what this fuse does. It makes relay 458 go bad and car stalls. here is a pic of fuse box and little blue arrow where fuse is out is the culprit
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59646193@N07/6849629121/

2006 jetta 5speed
i got half the car ripped apart and cant drive it to find out what doesnt work. the manual does not list this fuse

thanks

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
in the owners manual, that fuse is indicated as "Telephone - 5amp"

Check in the slots where the fuse slips into, if there are metal contact tabs on the inside of that fuse slot for both tabs on the fuse. you can reference to another fuse in the box as a guide.

Let me know.

Last edited:

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
there is metal contacts in that slot but i dont have telephone. I have a friend with the same car except a dsg and his fuse box is way different. I put everything back together and car runs without that fuse. I unplugged alot to try and find out what is causing the problem and now have an engine light and i stupidly lent out my reader.
All i know is that this fuse would cause the relay 458 right above it to buzz and click and the car would stall and no codes would show.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
sounds like a short in the fuse box. may have to pull the box and inspect the underlying wires for possible shorts.

a short could easily lead to a fire...

do you know if you have the factory installed bluetooth? do you have the touchscreen radio? what happens when you press the telephone button on the steering wheel while the car is running?

maybe someone who knows of this happening before could chime in.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I need the build date for the car.

It's not for telephone, but for some different engine management items depending on the production date.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Look around the frame of the driver's door for the build date.
There is no one better on the forum than jcrews for electric/electronic issues.

In my (lesser) experience, even the build date does not always match the references in the Bentley. It sure seems as if they just used what was handy at the time on some of the BRM cars. "Oh, look, we found another hundred fifty of the low line harnesses we were using a few months back, no sense letting them go to waste."

But it is always the place to start.

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
i will get that information as soon as i can. does anyone know where the n249 valve/selinoid is. i found a wiring diagram for a golf that shows that fuse is for n249 also for evap and n75 which i disconnected already. i do not know where n249 is located tho
thanks

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You don't have a vapor recovery system.

From the image it looks like a 05/05>> model so the fuse socket is unused. The N75 valve is powered through the #B23 fuse according to the wire diagram. The fuse chart is wrong or is referring to something I haven't pulled the diagram for yet (not 2.0T BPY).

The diesel engine does not have a turbo RCV N249. Those are used to destroy pressure waves that form when the throttle (on a gasoline engine) closes abruptly, as when changing gears, which doesn't happen on the BRM.

The fuse charts VW publishes are often wrong and need to be verified against the wire diagrams.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Bentley's relay diagrams are wrong too. The GP relay is not on the relay panel on the A4 (as Bentley states). Its under the cowling near the windshield.

--Nate

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
ok i will clear all codes when i get my reader back and try to run it without fuse. i just guessed that if it was there from factory it should be there. but i bet there is monkeys in the assembly line somewhere. i know that with this fuse out the asv, egr, steering, etc all seem to work. will post if i find out more
thanks

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
and the winner is .... glow plug or fuel pump relay. This would explain why after car stalls removing the fuse and restart that it runs fine. I am thinking fuel pump becuase glow plugs have long shut off by this time and fuel pumps in the mk5 are failure prone.
Guess i will have to confirm pump failure with and go shoppin. Is oem the way to go?
thanks

nestea

TDI
2006 jetta
build date 05. 05 and vin 3vwnt71k16m615729
ran the car this morning to diag lift pump and glowplug relay and it is running fine now. I know it will be short lived tho

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
You have 2 recalls open on you car. (94D2 and 97U3 airbag and headlight mod)

And 458 is power supply relay (terminal 30) J317. It powers up at least 3 fuses SB21,22,23) without further checking. What number fuse are you talking about, you say 10 amp but, if someone replaced fuses with the wrong amp it will lead you down the wrong road.

Last edited:
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI w/alh auto
Electrical problem starts sometimes but dies or won’t start when buzz start in relay

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with a Brm. It was running great then one day I parked went inside for 30 minutes came back out started it and it died 10 seconds later wouldn’t start again until I got it into my garage then when it warmed up a little it started and died again. I cleaned up some grounds and changed some dead fuses and the problem is the same, sometime I turn the key to on and everything is normal and it starts and dies anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds later or I turn the key to on and the glow plug sign doesn’t come up and there is a really rapid ticking or buzzing coming from one of the relays in the middle of the electronics box under the hood. I get a code u 0100 no communication with ecu/pcm I have heard about aftermarket radios causing problems in these and I have one but it looks like it was installed properly wondering if I need a new ecu? Can anyone help please I’m stumped

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with a Brm. It was running great then one day I parked went inside for 30 minutes came back out started it and it died 10 seconds later wouldn’t start again until I got it into my garage then when it warmed up a little it started and died again. I cleaned up some grounds and changed some dead fuses and the problem is the same, sometime I turn the key to on and everything is normal and it starts and dies anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds later or I turn the key to on and the glow plug sign doesn’t come up and there is a really rapid ticking or buzzing coming from one of the relays in the middle of the electronics box under the hood. I get a code u 0100 no communication with ecu/pcm I have heard about aftermarket radios causing problems in these and I have one but it looks like it was installed properly wondering if I need a new ecu? Can anyone help please I’m stumped
I had a similar problem with my ALH Jetta, I know with those ones if the glow plug light doesn't come on when you cycle the ignition and the car turns over but does not fire it is usually the 109 relay located under the steering column. Not sure if this applies to the BRM jettas but it may be worth a shot

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
When you get your car running try grabbing the wire harness near the starter. Where is goes from the body to the engine. I have had problems with broken wires in that harness. Does you tach more steady and/or sometimes not work.