2011 Jetta 6MT tranmission oil leak with metal filings

DieselCk

TDI
97 Jetta (250K Miles, resting), 99 Beetle (269K), 05 Jetta (105K, cream of the crop), 2011 Jetta (125K), 81 Rabbit Diesel (325K+, Gone)
Over the last week I started noticing an oil leak on the driveway under my 2011 Jetta with 6MT. I pulled the belly pan and found transmission oil leaking from a small weep hole at the bottom of the bell housing. The oil has some small metal filings in it. I know it's transmission oil since it is a light amber color, and when compared to oil from the dipstick, this oil is much lighter in color since there is no soot. I'm not driving the car until I figure out what the problem is, since it appears serious. Since the car has been setting over the past few days, there is not much additional leakage. I think the bulk of the leak is occurring when driving, accumulating in the belly pan, then leaking from a belly pan hole onto my driveway which has an incline. There have been no shifting problems and I have not abused the car. The car only has 56,000 miles on it. Does anybody know what could possibly cause this type of oil leakage? I have good mechanical abilities so I'd like to fix this myself. I realize in order to diagnose the problem that the transmission would most likely have to be pulled, I have tools and an engine support. Even if this were a manufacturing defect, I doubt VW would cover this under goodwill with the emissions buy back going on right now. Currently I'm planning to keep the car and hoping there is eventually an emissions fix. I recall reading some posts pertaining to this kind of oil leak, they might have been in a different forum, I'm not able to find them now. Any help would be appreciated!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like something(Probably part of the pressure plate) may have worn through the housing. If that's the case, you basically need a new transmission. If it is a manufacturing defect, I would try like heck to get VW to cover it.

Last edited:

DieselCk

TDI
97 Jetta (250K Miles, resting), 99 Beetle (269K), 05 Jetta (105K, cream of the crop), 2011 Jetta (125K), 81 Rabbit Diesel (325K+, Gone)
Thanks turbobrick240 for your response. I was thinking about the possibility of something wearing through the housing since I had read a post somewhere else of this happening. I'm also thinking about your initial reply related to a leaking input shaft seal. There have only been a few additional drops of oil since the car has been sitting for a few days in the garage. The amount of oil that I saw on the pavement initially may have been misleading. I think the oil accumulated on the plastic belly pan over some time, and I didn't notice it until I recently parked the car on an incline, causing the oil to shift back to a hole in the belly pan, and leaking onto the driveway. Also the oil is quite clean with the exception of the metal filings. So I'm thinking perhaps the oil is picking up some small metal pieces that have accumulated over time at the bottom of the bell housing from starter to flywheel engagement or clutch finger wear? It appears the only way to know for sure is to pull the transmission, unless there is an opening that I can look into the bell housing. I read in the warranty manual that manufacturing defects are only covered for 36,000 miles or 3 years, and the car is beyond that now. I hear what your saying about trying to get VW to cover a defect, but I would have to take it to a dealership for the work to be done and if VW won't cover it, I think I should be able to fix the problem for a lot less than than a dealer would charge.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I edited out the input shaft seal leaking because I hadn't registered the metal filings at first. If the filings are aluminum you probably have a pretty big problem. Are you positive the oil is coming from the bellhousing?