HVAC Fan Issue - Low Flow/Restricted Airflow

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
This is not really a question as much as it is a posting to inform others of an issue that affects your fan speed and airflow.

I recently found my HVAC fan making a whirling noise like the fan was rubbing up on something. I also found that the airflow with my HVAC system seemed rather restricted and slow.

Via the wonderful tool that is YouTube, I discovered how to remove the HVAC fan. With removal, I found some black vulcanized rubber membrane scattered throughout the cage of the blower motor and on the ducting. I later realized this came from the HVAC source splitting door (not sure the technical name but it allows the air to come from either outside the vehicle through the cabin air filter or through the bottom of the passenger area). I removed the unknown membrane and cleaned the vanes of the fan as well as adding some Honey-Goo lube to the motor. Seemed to run fine so I placed it back together and kept on trucking.

Earlier today when I started my fan, I noticed the issue was back in terms of restricted airflow (but not excessive noise). Another removal of the fan revealed that the fan was working fine. I decided to check the cabin intake filter for the first time in 3 years since I installed it. I've been a very naughty boy to say the least. I'll upload pics later but the inside portion of the cabin air filter recess had a lot of dirt and leaves. There is a hole that allows water to drain out that was all blocked up and my cabin filter was soaked (not to mention full of leaves). I can only imagine that was reducing the airflow into the HVAC system. I can only think that a recent heavy rainfall was to blame for what happened to my cabin filter but given the time-frame, perhaps it was best for me to realize I needed to change it.

I managed to find the air splitter for the intake and moved it from it's position so air could be drawn from the inside of the car instead of through the outside and the clogged filter.

I also immediately got online to K&N to buy their drop in Cabin Air Filter and cleaning kit. Hopefully this makes my car's air quality much nicer.

I also plan on blocking off the ducting near the cabin filter so it can only draw in fresh air from the outside of the car rather than taking dirty air from over the engine compartment."

Pictures to come soon so this all makes sense. Hope this helps if anyone else runs into this issue.